Natural ways to repel spiders

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Woke up the other day with a spider on my face and just saw one crawl on the bed so I've had enough tbh :ROFLMAO: . The room gets hoovered most days and dusted and I don't usually see any, I guess it's because of the hot weather as this isn't usual - I'd rather not use chemicals where we sleep and I read peppermint oil may help? They can hang out anywhere else in the house tbh just not the bed/on my face.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Ergh this gave me the shivers! Peppermint yes and conkers work really well, just put a hole in them and leave them in corners of the house - cant get conkers yet though can we untiil autumn.

Reactions: 1
Have heard about the conkers. Do the spiders go into the conkers, hence putting a hole in them?

Have heard about the conkers. Do the spiders go into the conkers, hence putting a hole in them?
Nooo you just put a tiny hole in them , tiny as in needle or drill tiny just so the ... juices? Aroma? can come out because thats what they dont like.

Would love to know I live in a rented house and i have bushes outside all or the down stairs windows, the windows are old and spiders like to make there nest/eggs in them arghhhhh

Ergh this gave me the shivers! Peppermint yes and conkers work really well, just put a hole in them and leave them in corners of the house - cant get conkers yet though can we untiil autumn.
Thank you! I have taken the whole bed apart and checked/cleaned every inch and then wiped peppermint oil all over (saw no spiders, wtf, the little shits)

I do a spider check before I go to sleep at night i.e look behind curtains and furniture. :giggle:

bringing this thread back to life, I woke up this morning at about 5:30 went for a wee and there was a huge one just sat outside on the wall near the bathroom door.. we have a cellar in our house that they emerge from every autumn time and i hate it!! thank god we are moving house soon. I have had conkers in my room before, they seemed to work. I always suggest them to people who have spider problems

• Haha
Peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle! I swear by it! I am probably a bit obsessive to be fair as I spray daily at this time of year 😅 But since I've started using it I'm definitely seeing less spiders!

Reactions: 2
Peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle! I swear by it! I am probably a bit obsessive to be fair as I spray daily at this time of year 😅 But since I've started using it I'm definitely seeing less spiders!
Where do you spray it? everywhere or just in certain corners, surfaces etc?

Where do you spray it? everywhere or just in certain corners, surfaces etc?
I spray it round the edges of windows and doors, around my bed :ROFLMAO:, corners of rooms and if I'm feeling really obsessive sometimes I'll just squirt it like it's bloody air freshener :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I haven't been able to open our bedroom window in weeks, we have a big tree outside so they have started making cobwebs from our house to the tree. so when i leave the house i basically run down the path haha. At night when we are getting ready for bed and its dark you can see about 3 outside each window, nowhere to be seen in daylight. I am dreading the day I see a big massive one. I am not joking when I say I am petrified of them :(

• Sad
I haven't been able to open our bedroom window in weeks, we have a big tree outside so they have started making cobwebs from our house to the tree. so when i leave the house i basically run down the path haha. At night when we are getting ready for bed and its dark you can see about 3 outside each window, nowhere to be seen in daylight. I am dreading the day I see a big massive one. I am not joking when I say I am petrified of them :(
If it makes you feel any better those massive ones don’t seem to make webs up high, they’re more likely to be in on the floor and in cracks. I hate them so much.

• Sick
I said to my mum before leaving for work to find the huge bastard that was on the wall early this morning and she still hasn't managed to find it haha and when I get home it will just be me and the dog so I am dreading it!! LOL I'm such a wuss but honestly I can't stand them. I ran into the bathroom this morning at lightening speed and when I came out it disappeared 😭 ffs..

If it makes you feel any better those massive ones don’t seem to make webs up high, they’re more likely to be in on the floor and in cracks. I hate them so much.
No that doesn't make me feel better 😂 the ones outside my window are probably about a 20p size with wee fat bodies, what worries me is they will grow and want to come inside. Our downstairs has lots of cracks as its a restored wooden floor however we haven't seen any big ones really, maybe its the cat eating them but we genuinely have been quite lucky up to this point. I don't know what I will do if I ever so see one though. Doesn't help that my boyfriend is scared of them too. They honestly creep me out and everynight I have to do a spider search :sick: Writing this has probably jinxed me and il go home to a trantula the size of a horse sitting on the roof waitin for me.

• Sick
I read somewhere citrus gets rid of them! Anyone had any success? Im saving my orange peels haha

• Haha
They hate citrus, peppermint and tea tree. Ive started buying oils making a spray spraying it round and if all else fails and they come in spray it around to back them into a corner and vac them up with a long extension on a hetty/henry🤦🏼‍♀️

Have heard from colleagues plug in repellants that give off a sound work well so been meaning to try them too. Theres currently several in the hallway and doorway of my apartment block😭 keep hoping people will move them out / squish them or they'll shoo out lol