Name change by Deed Poll

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm planning on changing my surname via deed poll.
I know of several people who have changed their names (not ones I can contact)
And they've all said its a really easy process and didn't take long at all.

However I've downloaded the forms ect and for starters says I have to have 2 witnesses.
And then on top of that, someone that has known me for 10 years or more, isn't a relative and owns their own home?
And that they then have to sign the form infront of a solicitor?

Am I even doing the right thing? 😂
Because that doesn't sound simple as others have said.

I'm not even sure if I know anyone that's known me for 10 years and owns their own home that isn't a relative!

Reactions: 1
I'm planning on changing my surname via deed poll.
I know of several people who have changed their names (not ones I can contact)
And they've all said its a really easy process and didn't take long at all.

However I've downloaded the forms ect and for starters says I have to have 2 witnesses.
And then on top of that, someone that has known me for 10 years or more, isn't a relative and owns their own home?
And that they then have to sign the form infront of a solicitor?

Am I even doing the right thing? 😂
Because that doesn't sound simple as others have said.

I'm not even sure if I know anyone that's known me for 10 years and owns their own home that isn't a relative!
That sounds super complicated. I changed the 8yos surname to match my partners as he's brought her up since she was a toddler.

I went online and did it and got sent the forms in the post, had to pick 1 witness to sign and thats it! They just had to be not a relative.

Once it's signed that's it. No solicitor needed and you can take the form into the docs, bank etc to change your records.

This is the one I used https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2UNlnj0iwxK93f0ZHCLBdD

Reactions: 4
Is that all done legally? That drivers licence, passport ect will accept?

I was told it had to be done via the government website and their forms for it to be legal!
They charge £46 plus whatever it costs for a solicitor to over see the signing 🤔

• Sad
Is that all done legally? That drivers licence, passport ect will accept?

I was told it had to be done via the government website and their forms for it to be legal!
They charge £46 plus whatever it costs for a solicitor to over see the signing 🤔
Yep all legal, I've just sent off her passport with the deed poll cert and its been accepted. It only cost us 28!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've just put mine through! Thank you very much!
The forms from the government have been sitting in my kitchen for months now because they were so complicated!
Wish I'd have asked sooner!

The forms from the government have been sitting in my kitchen for months now because they were so complicated!
How did you get on? Did you use the online service and did it all work out (like for passports etc.) I to looked at the government ones and I just can't get my head around all the forms and going to a solicitor. Any help would be appreciated.

How did you get on? Did you use the online service and did it all work out (like for passports etc.) I to looked at the government ones and I just can't get my head around all the forms and going to a solicitor. Any help would be appreciated.
I did!
I'll see if I can find the website I used!
My Partners brother used the same one so I got the link from them!
It was very simple. I think it was £35 with the copies of the certificates.

____

This is what I used!

Ive changed it with my banks and everything so it's all accepted fine 😊
Took about 10 minutes to do

• Heart
I did!
I'll see if I can find the website I used!
My Partners brother used the same one so I got the link from them!
It was very simple. I think it was £35 with the copies of the certificates.

____

This is what I used!

Ive changed it with my banks and everything so it's all accepted fine 😊
Took about 10 minutes to do
Thank you. I was a little nervous of using a company but it just seems the easiest option.

Thank you for posting! I also want to change my surname and lose the link to my grandfather's family, without waiting to get married first.