My Unorthodox life - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is any one else watching this ?? Wow! I can't believe some religions are still so strict.
I'm Jewish (not religiously, just culturally and ethnically) and have watched the first episode. There are a lot of different groups within Judaism and she was a part of the most strict, backwards, misogynistic, and 'all the rest' sector of Judaism. Good on her for leaving. You get modern orthodox Jews where most of the rules are similar but girls have the right to a Jewish and secular education and career. I know religious Jewish girls who go to top universities. In my area, you still see a lot of modern orthodox girls leaving school at 18 and going straight into marriage and babies though. I have similar beliefs and navigate Judaism similarly to Julia and would pick it any day over a life of bible study and unlimited children. Modern orthodox women find ways to be empowered outside of clothing but for ultra orthodox women, Julia really isn't over-exaggerating when she says they have no life outside of being a baby making machine. There are communities who don't even read or watch the national news because their life revolves around Judaism that much. I can see the series is ruffling a few feathers within the community though. I think some people feel the ultra orthodox community are portrayed as sub-human and that Julia is being just as toxic as they are with forcing her views on everyone but on the other end of the scale. I feel her passion though.

Where is it showing
Its on Netflix :)

Reactions: 10
I watched one episode but I won’t be watching more. I love the support she shows for other women, especially her daughter’s coming out scene, but the show is really cringe.

I watched one episode but I won’t be watching more. I love the support she shows for other women, especially her daughter’s coming out scene, but the show is really cringe.
yeah I found the bits about her past very interesting, I still don't understand really how she managed to leave and become so totally the opposite she was, when her older daughter is still (relatively) conservative, imagine going for 40 years unable to wear trousers to discussing sex and vibrators with your children on film :ROFLMAO:. I thought I would like it more as I watch loads of trashy reality shows but I couldn't really get into it, a lot of it came across as very set up imo . I have only seen one episode but did anyone else get the impression the push for her to leave was her daughter being lesbian?

Reactions: 5
Have you seen Unorthodox? Might be more up your street 😁. The obviously staged scenes in MUL are cringey tbh but I'm gonna carry on with the series later.

Also why does Julia make out like she's the CEO for one of the biggest modelling agencies when they have a couple of thousand followers on instagram?

Have you seen Unorthodox? Might be more up your street 😁. The obviously staged scenes in MUL are cringey tbh but I'm gonna carry on with the series later.

Also why does Julia make out like she's the CEO for one of the biggest modelling agencies when they have a couple of thousand followers on instagram?
yes unorthodox is great! there is another series on netflix called Shitsel which is also good

• Heart
I had to look Julia up cause I was sure this was a mockumentary. But seems to be legit. I thought it was a bit mad, her daughter can't wear jeans because they show off her legs but can wear a micro mini? They live in a penthouse but she has her office right beside her husbands and can't hear anyone on the phone? Someone with absolutely no experience gets a job running a major modelling agency?

Reactions: 9
I'm Jewish (not religiously, just culturally and ethnically) and have watched the first episode. There are a lot of different groups within Judaism and she was a part of the most strict, backwards, misogynistic, and 'all the rest' sector of Judaism. Good on her for leaving. You get modern orthodox Jews where most of the rules are similar but girls have the right to a Jewish and secular education and career. I know religious Jewish girls who go to top universities. In my area, you still see a lot of modern orthodox girls leaving school at 18 and going straight into marriage and babies though. I have similar beliefs and navigate Judaism similarly to Julia and would pick it any day over a life of bible study and unlimited children. Modern orthodox women find ways to be empowered outside of clothing but for ultra orthodox women, Julia really isn't over-exaggerating when she says they have no life outside of being a baby making machine. There are communities who don't even read or watch the national news because their life revolves around Judaism that much. I can see the series is ruffling a few feathers within the community though. I think some people feel the ultra orthodox community are portrayed as sub-human and that Julia is being just as toxic as they are with forcing her views on everyone but on the other end of the scale. I feel her passion though.
Thank you so much for explaining

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had to look Julia up cause I was sure this was a mockumentary. But seems to be legit. I thought it was a bit mad, her daughter can't wear jeans because they show off her legs but can wear a micro mini? They live in a penthouse but she has her office right beside her husbands and can't hear anyone on the phone? Someone with absolutely no experience gets a job running a major modelling agency?
There's no way Batsheva's husband's family can deal with her wearing mini dresses but not jeans. Her and her husband are definitely on different pages because there are plenty of modern orthodox couples who dress in jeans and denim shorts etc and the boyfriend/husband has no qualms about it. He can wear his Gucci tracksuits all he wants but he definitely has a long way to go with how he views women.

Reactions: 6
There's no way Batsheva's husband's family can deal with her wearing mini dresses but not jeans. Her and her husband are definitely on different pages because there are plenty of modern orthodox couples who dress in jeans and denim shorts etc and the boyfriend/husband has no qualms about it. He can wear his Gucci tracksuits all he wants but he definitely has a long way to go with how he views women.
I got the impression that he was annoyed that she had left the orthdox community, I am surprised he followed her tbh

Reactions: 3
yeah I found the bits about her past very interesting, I still don't understand really how she managed to leave and become so totally the opposite she was, when her older daughter is still (relatively) conservative, imagine going for 40 years unable to wear trousers to discussing sex and vibrators with your children on film :ROFLMAO:. I thought I would like it more as I watch loads of trashy reality shows but I couldn't really get into it, a lot of it came across as very set up imo . I have only seen one episode but did anyone else get the impression the push for her to leave was her daughter being lesbian?
I thought she said she was miserable and tried to kill herself through starvation. Then in the New York Times she says she leaves for her daughter.

I don’t think she would have tried killing herself in the first place if the latter reason was true. The only part of her story I can 100% believe is that she found investors in unlikely places - she seems likable and guileless.

Reactions: 1
I'm watching the second episode, the whhole conversation with the australian model going on about how great they were for giving her spanx or whatever was so set up, it sounded like a therapy session rather than a conversation with an employer you have just met

I feel so bad for her about the son, I do not really understand why he is still with the dad, he seems to be becoming more and more extreme, it must be awful for the mum watching this. You can see at this party in episode 3/4 that at the start he is basically trying not to look at any of the women

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I only started watching it tonight, on the 4th episode already. I like it but, how cringe! I honestly did not expect this, yet I probably won't sleep tonight because I want to watch the whole series now! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm watching the second episode, the whhole conversation with the australian model going on about how great they were for giving her spanx or whatever was so set up, it sounded like a therapy session rather than a conversation with an employer you have just met

I feel so bad for her about the son, I do not really understand why he is still with the dad, he seems to be becoming more and more extreme, it must be awful for the mum watching this. You can see at this party in episode 3/4 that at the start he is basically trying not to look at any of the women
Was it not something to do with spilt custody then he was moving full time with Julia? I've not finished the whole series yet just at the bit he goes back to new York and he had just been to 'that camp'

Im just starting the series but i love how Julia states that a man should control themselves and urges and women should wear what they want

Reactions: 8
Was it not something to do with spilt custody then he was moving full time with Julia? I've not finished the whole series yet just at the bit he goes back to new York and he had just been to 'that camp'
ah okay, I don;t think he will go and live with her tbh he seems too obsessed with being orthodox

The mum doesn't seem like a great business woman from the advice she gave her daughter about that instagram yoga contract

Those camps are so brainwashing and awful. Julia is right - it is fundamentalism. I see so many Jews in the community criticise Islam for being oppressive and backwards - they should look within their own religion before pointing the finger. These ultra-orthodox Jews live about 5 minutes away from me yet you’d never know because they don’t travel beyond about four streets. Not to mention a lot of these people can’t even assimilate if they want to because the communities insist on speaking Yiddish 24/7 so the children don’t even grow up learning English. The son is only 14 so hopefully isn’t too far gone. Not comparing Haredi Judaism to this at all but a lot of the children who were brought up in the Westboro Baptist Church and even advocated for them as young adults ended up seeing the light and leaving eventually. Again, not comparing Jews to the utter antisemitic scummy cult who want us dead but it is proof that there is always a way out, no matter how far gone you once were.

Reactions: 13
This reminds me so much of many stories I’ve heard from friends and family over the years.
I’m from a modern family. My husbands family is more conservative. My mother in law doesn’t speak English because she never had to despite being in the UK for 60 years.
I wear a wig to weddings and dress modestly anyway. The first time I wore jeans in front of my in laws was hilarious 😆

I’m just worried that this type of show is putting Judaism in a bad light that a certain community will jump on and attack more of us.

Reactions: 7