My friend offered me to pay for the food and then didn’t pay me back

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had a friend who did this when I paid for hotel rooms for another friends wedding. I find it mind boggling you can be staying in a hotel room and it doesn’t enter your mind you haven’t paid for it. I never got the money back.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Had a friend who did this when I paid for hotel rooms for another friends wedding. I find it mind boggling you can be staying in a hotel room and it doesn’t enter your mind you haven’t paid for it. I never got the money back.
I don't think, for a second, that anyone genuinely forgets something like that. If I've so much as taken a drink from someone I know I have to get one back. Before the pandemic me and a friend used to go out on Friday lunch times and over the summer with one or other of us being on leave we both forgot who bought the drinks last so we were bickering over who was going to get them this time, both trying to pay.

Reactions: 10
Call her out. I don’t get skirting around the issue and I wouldn’t say I was the most confrontational person either, but she’s taking the piss. You give some people an inch, they’ll take a mile.

Reactions: 5
Just sent a message like...

Dear Jessica,

After repeated hints, you have failed to pay me back for the refreshments I good heartedly paid for at the time of our outing. A verbal agreement was formed where it was determined this was not a gift and you would refund me the expenses I covered for you. Not being reimbursed in a timely matter has caused me a deep amount of trauma and unfortunately I have had to escalate the matter. My solicitor will be in touch in due course.

See you in court,

Scorpihoe xo

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I had a "friend" who qualified as a PT when I was training for a marathon. She offered to train me at a mates rate price of £100 for 10 sessions to help me with strength and conditioning.
I paid cash in full and before my 1st session she left the gym, citing difficulties with the management and took up some trampolining franchise instead. I queried my lessons and she offered to exchange them for trampolining classes instead, which I declined as it wasn't what I needed. I asked for my money back and suddenly she was skint.
There was a few things going on in her private life which backed this up so I let it slide until she had the money.
Then she invited me to her birthday brunch get together. I said I couldn't go as I was skint and she said that she would pay as she owed me £100. I accepted the invite and absolutely lost my tit in the venue when she asked everyone, including me to cough up £40 for the brunch.
I've never got over the absolute cheek of her and now we're not friends. Cannot abide freeloaders.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
God, there are a lot of them around, aren't there. I would think less of the person if they didn't at least communicate.

Reactions: 4
I had a "friend" who qualified as a PT when I was training for a marathon. She offered to train me at a mates rate price of £100 for 10 sessions to help me with strength and conditioning.
I paid cash in full and before my 1st session she left the gym, citing difficulties with the management and took up some trampolining franchise instead. I queried my lessons and she offered to exchange them for trampolining classes instead, which I declined as it wasn't what I needed. I asked for my money back and suddenly she was skint.
There was a few things going on in her private life which backed this up so I let it slide until she had the money.
Then she invited me to her birthday brunch get together. I said I couldn't go as I was skint and she said that she would pay as she owed me £100. I accepted the invite and absolutely lost my tit in the venue when she asked everyone, including me to cough up £40 for the brunch.
I've never got over the absolute cheek of her and now we're not friends. Cannot abide freeloaders.
My friend did a similar thing a couple of years ago. She was training to be a PT so I paid for some sessions. We had one and then I saw on snapchat she was moving to Spain!! I was angry and she said she would pay me back but never did and I couldn’t be bothered to keep asking.
Haven’t spoken to her since

Reactions: 3
Get your money back. There’s nothing awkward about it, she’s taking advantage.

Send a text privately:
Hi, I’m still waiting for payment of £ for that meal we had …weeks ago. I have reminded you many times now and I am still awaiting payment. I need this money repaid today. Please can you pay this into my account by 4pm today? Thanks.

If she hasn’t paid by 4pm, then screenshot the text into the group text and say that from now on you think it’s best that you all pay your own bills separately as unfortunately you feel disrespected. Hopefully your other mates will step in and it will embarrass her into paying up.

Then cut this friend off, she’s taking the piss.

Reactions: 6
How much is it? I wouldn’t publicly shame.
Why not? If she’s tried to do things privately and given her ample time to pay, set a deadline and got no response then I think it’s the next logical step. She’s had every opportunity to pay.

It’s not publicly shaming- it’s ensuring that others in OPs friend group don’t get ripped off by her as well. I could understand if she went out, couldn’t afford lunch but felt embarrassed to say so. But shes wandering round in £800 boots and can’t pay her mate back, so she deserves to be called out! She’s taking the utter piss!

Reactions: 8
I had one friend who was so tight. She once told me she met a guy at a bar and they hit it off, he bought the first round of drinks, and when it was her turn to get the next round she got herself a big pint of water (FREE) and whatever he was drinking she couldn’t cope with paying for 2 drinks 😂😂😂 I always find this story so funny…. Shortly after that her and the guy had a spat and went there separate ways….

She felt bad for missing my birthday one year, she made a huge commotion about it, kept saying “ oh I’m so so so sorry” at pre drinks, even though I didn’t make a big deal of it ( this was on a night out 3 weeks after my birthday……)and she never bought me a drink after all her talk.. and there was so many opportunities to get me a drink

See I used to buy her gifts and drinks but I learned the hard way. After a few years of this I wouldn’t pay for anything for her now. Love the thread😂

She has a fantastic job this girl! She still has her communion money

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5