Mutual Exchange

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Help. I feel bad. Week three of my mutual exchange application and I’m having second thoughts.

I’ve told the other party and my messages for now have been ignored. There are far to many red flags for my liking & ive spoken to my housing officer who has been brilliant today. He said he could not influence me in a decision but has noted everything down & I’m only a phone Call away.

No tenancy inspections have yet been taken place
and I have the option to withdraw my application, as does the other party if they wish too.

Quite a few reasons has led me to think it would be a bad mistake to move; I would be moving to a house that needs a LOT of repair work, internally which would be up to me to do. The current tenancy has made changes to the property without permission & LIED about putting it back to the council.

Secondly, there is a lot of things that do not make sense. I would be moving to be closer to family, they would be downsizing but have more family members than me....?

Thirdly. Admitted of a criminal record due to housing benefit fraud.

This doesn’t sit comfortably with me. More so, moving to a different area & with no money for repairs. Asbestos in the out building I have been quoted £500. The garden is destroyed.

I am also being pressured into calling my housing officer daily to see the progress of the application. I’ve explained it can take 42 working days, but it’s a living nightmare. I dread picking my phone up some days. If it’s not messenger or WhatsApp it’s phone calls & texts.
I just don’t know what to do. Im lost. I would love to be closer to family but it’s a huge, huge risk.

Why is it up to you to remove asbestos? What sort of repairs? Surely that is the property owners responsibility?

If the person has a criminal record for housing benefit fraud how does that affect you? They're probably downsizing to reduce their rent.

Reading what you've put it sounds like you don't want to move and you feel you need reasons to say you can't.

Reactions: 1
Internal repairs such as damage to walls & doors are up to the tenant. She has informed the council that all repairs have been done & send right move photos To them which they’ve accepted. I have screen shots that clearly states “got away with this” with a right move picture. Is that fair? i don’t think so.
The council will not remove the asbestos as again it’s up to tenant. I’ve asked the lady to help pay half or her to remove it before I move and she laughed.

Yes internal repairs like doors and poor DIY would be the tenants responsibility.
Asbestos is removed in my area by the council but I've just read not all areas and if it's in an outbuilding, undisturbed then it is not seen as a necessary removal.

If the exchange household are not doing what is required to ensure the exchange is fair and both parties move into a habitable, clean home then I'd step away and wait for another property.

Reactions: 3
I also dont see how their criminal record would effect you in any way?

I agree with one of the posters here. It sounds like you dont actually want to move as you are reeling off reasons in your post. I wouldnt move if you are feeling this way, I would perhaps tell them outright this property isnt for you and continue with your search.

Reactions: 4
Thanks all. I have to say, I’m unsure why people are thinking I don’t wish to move. My family live in the area, good schools & would be closer to my work.
The house itself needs a lot of work.
I’m just in a bit of a state to think it’s Going to cost a lot of money & I was asking for advice if I could ask current tenants about help with possibly asbestos or helping with the things they’ve reported have changed, when she’s admitted she hasn’t.
I don’t like the idea of in the long run I will be responsible for something that isn’t my fault.
Thanks anyway, I’m prepared to move but it’s going to cost me a lot (thousands) In the long run with hardly anything in savings.

I Would wait . You don’t sound like you would be happy with the house, another one will come up. Is it urgent you move or can you wait a few more months

It just sounded like you were putting the hurdles up yourself. My apologies for assuming.

If it is for that purpose and you feel you cant wait longer (as another may come up) go for it.

Depending on how desperate these other people are for your house, yes you can negotiate costs amongst yourselves.

It’s up to the landlord to deal with any asbestos issues.

I pulled out of a mutual exchange as we found out the neighbours were involved with drugs and police vans were there every other night.