Moving house with a toddler

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, we are hopefully moving home over the next few months and I want to make it as easy for our 3yr old as possible.

We've told him we are getting a new bigger house and shown him the right move photos etc and got him involved in getting our house ready for sale etc. Anyway the other night when he was going to bed he said "mummy I don't want anyone else to have my bedroom". Which tugged out our heart strings. We are also moving out of the area but much closer to grandparents but this means he will also be changing nurseries. He's very confident and outgoing and easily makes friends but again this is such a big change.

Does anyone have any hints and tips on how to make this transition easier for him?

Thanks

Reactions: 1
Hi, we are hopefully moving home over the next few months and I want to make it as easy for our 3yr old as possible.

We've told him we are getting a new bigger house and shown him the right move photos etc and got him involved in getting our house ready for sale etc. Anyway the other night when he was going to bed he said "mummy I don't want anyone else to have my bedroom". Which tugged out our heart strings. We are also moving out of the area but much closer to grandparents but this means he will also be changing nurseries. He's very confident and outgoing and easily makes friends but again this is such a big change.

Does anyone have any hints and tips on how to make this transition easier for him?

Thanks
Id try not to make too much of a big deal out of it personally. He won’t be able to really comprehend what it all actually means - other than him feeling like he’s being taken away from his home hence the comment about the bedroom. Just keep it light and breezy. Don’t have him with you on moving day - could he go to grandparents? If so, get his bedroom set up first so that he can have a familiar-ish space to see when he arrives if it’s possible to make it look like it does now? Then I’d say just crack on as normal but yeah, don’t dwell on the moving aspect or talking about the “old house” etc
Good luck with the move!! 😊

Reactions: 2
Thanks for the advice. Yeah he will be staying at grandparents the night before and the night we move in which he will love! They used to have him 3 days a week for us pre covid so he loves being there. And he will get to see them so much more with us now living down the road (once lockdown eases). Maybe I'm just over worrying about it all 🙈

Reactions: 1
I moved house with a 3 year old and a 5 month old, we just really focused on his new big room every time he mentioned moving

Reactions: 3