Moving home

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll probably end up adding a lot of questions as this is a shock for me:

Moved into my current flat (HA) in 2015. There's been a lot of issues with damp.

I received an email on Friday saying that my housing officer would like to speak to me. I thought it was them sorting out the damp. They've decided it's too much work, etc so decided I need to move.

I have a few questions: (some are general moving ones so not worth emailing my officer)
1. I've just taken out home insurance. What happens with that?
2. Easiest way to pack up a flat and move? I know the basics like labelling boxes so I know where certain things are!

Reactions: 1
Insurance can be transferred over to your new place. I expect it will be a while unless they have said you have to move now.

In terms of packing...
Put in a box things you'll need immediately e.g. teabags, kettle, mug, toilet roll, bin bags, soap and washing up liquid

And once you're in, the bed being the first thing you put together and make is an excellent shout - and future you will thank you! After a day of moving and setting up, a comfy bed will be ready for you.

I would also recommend doing a sort-out before the move, getting rid of stuff you don't need or use... rather than letting laziness get the better of you and tell yourself it'll be fine to take all your crap to the next place and you'll sort it out once you're settled there (speaking from experience!) be ruthless!

Reactions: 2
1. I've just taken out home insurance. What happens with that?
It's worth ringing them to see if they will transfer it over. Otherwise, I think they'd refund however many whole months is left on it minus their admin fee

If they are asking you to move (rather than it being a choice you have made), is it worth asking if there is any funding towards moving costs available? Id think most HAs would have some sort of fund).

Get boxes from supermarkets (the ones fruit and veg go in) for books. People are always giving away moving boxes on gbfb/gumtree.

Yes definitely ask for financial help!

Make sure you label each box and while you are packing have a clear out for the charity shop or wherever as you will come across things you don’t and won’t use