Moving away when I just got a new job!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Advice needed please as I’m terrified to talk to my boss!

I started a new role in healthcare 2 months ago. I’m really enjoying it, the people are lovely and it’s in an ideal location.
However, my boyfriend plays sport and he’s just been offered a 6 month contract to go and play for a team in New Zealand, from September to March. He’s offered for us both to go out there, and we can both work whilst there.

I’ve always wanted to go, and I’m finding myself being unable to say no!! It’s honestly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

However, I work in healthcare with huge caseloads. Me joining the team was a huge thing, I took over a very heavy caseload and have just started developing relationships with them. My bosses are completely understaffed and I was the first permanent staff in a while. Someone recently left and the bosses were fuming. I would just feel awful. I mentioned this to a colleague too, who joked that I would be “blacklisted” by my boss.

I really really really want to go but I’m absolutely terrified about how this’ll make me look. I’d love to work here when I came home but it’s probably unlikely that they’ll want me to come back.

What do I do and how do I tell my bosses??

Reactions: 1
Wow congrats to your boyfriend! I'd be like you and raring to go to a new country, especially NZ!

Honestly? You don't owe a job anything and if they go funny with you for leaving, do you really want to work somewhere where they do that? I'd definitely take this opportunity with both hands and quit.

As for how, well I suppose just be clear that you don't want to burn any bridges and you've loved your time there. I'd try sway away from apologising for leaving them in the lurch because them being understaffed is not your problem.

In this social climate I'm definitely of the opinion of live for yourself and if you get opportunities like this you should really take them!

Reactions: 8
Wow congrats to your boyfriend! I'd be like you and raring to go to a new country, especially NZ!

Honestly? You don't owe a job anything and if they go funny with you for leaving, do you really want to work somewhere where they do that? I'd definitely take this opportunity with both hands and quit.

As for how, well I suppose just be clear that you don't want to burn any bridges and you've loved your time there. I'd try sway away from apologising for leaving them in the lurch because them being understaffed is not your problem.

In this social climate I'm definitely of the opinion of live for yourself and if you get opportunities like this you should really take them!
I think this is the perfect advice. You only get one life and there will always be jobs in healthcare.

Reactions: 5

Thank you, it’s such a huge opportunity for us both, I just can’t imagine missing out for the sake of a job 😭 I’m an absolute people pleaser and I’m overthinking it, I’m just absolutely dreading having to tell them! You’re right about avoiding apologising though.
Thanks so much 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you, it’s such a huge opportunity for us both, I just can’t imagine missing out for the sake of a job 😭 I’m an absolute people pleaser and I’m overthinking it, I’m just absolutely dreading having to tell them! You’re right about avoiding apologising though.
Thanks so much 🥰
I nearly didn't leave my old job because they were understaffed and I didn't want to leave them in the lurch or let people down. the advice I was given at the time was that to try and remember you really are just a number. It wasn't my problem they were understaffed and they would just find a replacement. Literally 2 days after I left they had advertised my job and for a bit more money too yet they didn't give any of us a pay rise in the 3.5yrs I worked there so, in the end, I was actually happy to have left and I'm now in a really good job that I enjoy. There will always be work here when you get home. Healthcare are crying out for staff.

This seems like such an unreal experience and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it could even open so many doors for you that you don't even know about yet :) Just try to think what your bosses etc might do if they were in your position, they wouldn't be fretting about leaving that's for sure.

The only regret you will have is if you don't go! Good luck :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Good news.. I spoke to my boss and they’ve offered me a sabbatical for 6 months (which they don’t usually offer until an employee has been there for over a year) AND they’re offering to sign off my probation 3 months early!!!
So lucky and looks like I was worrying about nothing!

NZ here I come 😍

Thank you guys xx

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Good news.. I spoke to my boss and they’ve offered me a sabbatical for 6 months (which they don’t usually offer until an employee has been there for over a year) AND they’re offering to sign off my probation 3 months early!!!
So lucky and looks like I was worrying about nothing!

NZ here I come 😍

Thank you guys xx
Amazing! Sounds like the best of all worlds, with a great job to come back to (unless the 6 months becomes longer haha). Good luck! NZ is an amazing country 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 1