Mount Everest

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's nothing 'heroic' about queuing up for the summit as if it's a ride at Alton Towers. Hardly a major achievement if that many people are already right in front of you.

I've seen smaller queues at the bar in a Wetherspoons on New Years Eve :rolleyes:

As has been said, my heart goes out to the Sherpas who risk their lives for a bunch of rich tourists. They should bring in a law that states if the Sherpa advises it's too risky then the tourist has to go ahead without them if they disregard that advice.
They won't bring in a law like that because the government are greedy fucks.

Reactions: 1
There's nothing 'heroic' about queuing up for the summit as if it's a ride at Alton Towers. Hardly a major achievement if that many people are already right in front of you.

I've seen smaller queues at the bar in a Wetherspoons on New Years Eve :rolleyes:

As has been said, my heart goes out to the Sherpas who risk their lives for a bunch of rich tourists. They should bring in a law that states if the Sherpa advises it's too risky then the tourist has to go ahead without them if they disregard that advice.
Yes or pay a large upfront fee to cover at least a year of the Sherpa's wages. Just something to make them stop and think. Madness.

Reactions: 2
Everest climbers are fascinating to me not in a good way though. I Climb a few large hills and the odd smaller mountain in the lakes and yes it is addictive each time wanting to get higher and higher. But why anyone would risk life to do so is unthinkable. If you cannot breathe in a certain place on Earth then clearly we are not born to be there? K2 is another harder than Everest yet people still climb. The Sherpa's is a heartbreaking story they literally have not much else to do for work so they follow in the footsteps of others. There is no answer to this year's disasters up there, those images are awful.
The government needs to charge more much more for permits in the hope maybe only the best climbers go up yet even then dangers are still extremely high. They won't though because they need the money and are scared of losing it. It is just so sad that society allows this to happen. And yes for many just to get that personal satisfaction and selphy!

So I am reading Into Thin Air right now as my library didn't have the other book available. I have to say I am really enjoying it. I am almost 80% finished. I know that it caused some controversy but I don't feel that he said anything "offensive." He questions why one of the leaders descended the mountain leaving his clients and some found that offensive but unless you read into it online, there is nothing bad that stands out in the book itself. Actually a really interesting read.

So I am reading Into Thin Air right now as my library didn't have the other book available. I have to say I am really enjoying it. I am almost 80% finished. I know that it caused some controversy but I don't feel that he said anything "offensive." He questions why one of the leaders descended the mountain leaving his clients and some found that offensive but unless you read into it online, there is nothing bad that stands out in the book itself. Actually a really interesting read.
That's good to know! Thanks! Yeah, since you started this thread, I've been seeing lots of documentaries and looking into people who have climbed ME and I have to say, I now feel slightly different in terms of understanding and admiring some people who have done it.
There's doing it for your ego and there's doing it for the right reasons, such as honoring people who passed away trying to achieve that dream, to raise awareness and money for charities, etc.
Garret Madison founded a company called Madison Mountaneering and he's done incredible work. His no. 1 concern is safety and if that means giving up on summiting, so be it. His team always fixes the lines up to the summit (as well as on K2) so that all teams have a safe climb. He arranges clean ups in which they bring down tonnes of trash and he looks after the Sherpas.
Elia Saikaly is such a brilliant filmographer/photographer who has worked incredibly hard to tell the stories of those who climb ME, including this year's all female Arab team. https://www.outdoorjournal.com/featured/expedition/dreams-come-true-everest-arab-women/
Also, Melissa Reid, whose videos on Everest I loved watching on Youtube. She created The Juniper Fund, which supports Sherpas, their families and communities. Brilliant work.
Also, I suggest looking up K2. Lots of videos on it.

That's good to know! Thanks! Yeah, since you started this thread, I've been seeing lots of documentaries and looking into people who have climbed ME and I have to say, I now feel slightly different in terms of understanding and admiring some people who have done it.
There's doing it for your ego and there's doing it for the right reasons, such as honoring people who passed away trying to achieve that dream, to raise awareness and money for charities, etc.
Garret Madison founded a company called Madison Mountaneering and he's done incredible work. His no. 1 concern is safety and if that means giving up on summiting, so be it. His team always fixes the lines up to the summit (as well as on K2) so that all teams have a safe climb. He arranges clean ups in which they bring down tonnes of trash and he looks after the Sherpas.
Elia Saikaly is such a brilliant filmographer/photographer who has worked incredibly hard to tell the stories of those who climb ME, including this year's all female Arab team. https://www.outdoorjournal.com/featured/expedition/dreams-come-true-everest-arab-women/
Also, Melissa Reid, whose videos on Everest I loved watching on Youtube. She created The Juniper Fund, which supports Sherpas, their families and communities. Brilliant work.
Also, I suggest looking up K2. Lots of videos on it.
I will watch that video, thanks! I follow Elia Saikaly on Instagram, I think. I found out this week that a guy at my husband's work climbed Everest a few years ago. How crazy is that.

Just watched this a man who has climbed Mount Everest 21 times. It was absolutely breathtaking, one of the most incredible videos I've ever watched. Highly recommend watching it!
Also, I've been following the journey of Nimsdai https://instagram.com/nimsdai?igshid=1xamgqczfaf7h who was born in Nepal and it's trying to break the world record of 7 years 6 months 10 days for climbing the 14 highest mountains in the world. He wants to do it in 7 months and has already climbed 10! It's unreal! He is superhuman as well as his teammates. They just finished climbing K2, will start climbing Broad Peek tonight and I just watched an update of his and the man didn't look tired at all! No idea how this is possible tbh. [emoji15]

Spencer’s Matthews from made in Chelsea’s dad has either written or writing a book. Spencer’s brother disappeared off the face of Everest and they’ve never found out what happened to him I don’t think.

I’m shocked to see those queues I always thought there was only a tiny amount of people allowed each year and that you had to be a proper climber etc. I can remember the movie about Everest a few years ago too. God knows why people still risk it.

Spencer’s Matthews from made in Chelsea’s dad has either written or writing a book. Spencer’s brother disappeared off the face of Everest and they’ve never found out what happened to him I don’t think.

I’m shocked to see those queues I always thought there was only a tiny amount of people allowed each year and that you had to be a proper climber etc. I can remember the movie about Everest a few years ago too. God knows why people still risk it.
I had no idea! [emoji33] I just watched this documentary and after summiting and starting to descend, he was completely abandoned by the guide that was with him. He was only 22!! There were huge problems with the expedition company from the start, including terrible organisation and the oxygen bottles had been altered and weren't functioning properly. The Matthews being such billionaires, really don't understand how they didn't make sure it was the end of the expedition company.

I had no idea! [emoji33] I just watched this documentary and after summiting and starting to descend, he was completely abandoned by the guide that was with him. He was only 22!! There were huge problems with the expedition company from the start, including terrible organisation and the oxygen bottles had been altered and weren't functioning properly. The Matthews being such billionaires, really don't understand how they didn't make sure it was the end of the expedition company.
Yeah I read it in Spencer’s book years ago ( don’t judge) it’s super sad and don’t think his father has ever gotten over it ( understandably)