Mould on bathroom ceiling

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

I have a quick question. Last week, a real estate agent came in to perform an inspection (supposed valuation) on behalf of the owner of the apartment I've been renting for the last year and a half.

I have been maintaining the apartment pretty well as I'm a bit of a neat freak. However, in the last 2/3 months, there has been black mould growing on one side of the bathroom ceiling (just the half that's directly above the bathtub / shower). The other side where the toilets / sink are located are perfectly clean and neat. The bathroom has ventilation which turns on automatically when you turn the lights on. I also always leave the bathroom door slightly open at all times (except for when I'm taking a shower) to let the air circulate. There is no window in the bathroom, but I open the windows every two days or so for about 15 minutes.

There's no mould anywhere else in the apartment. It's squeaky clean.

I've lived in similar apartments before and I've never seen any mould on bathroom ceilings. It's the first time ever. I'm assuming the managing agent did not request for proper anti-fungal paint to be applied when they performed the renovations before I moved in (the floors were not properly applied upon renovation either - you can see huge bulbs of air underneath).

My current managing agent has been really bad at fixing issues. I experienced a case where my shower kept cutting off after 5 minutes with no water available afterwards for 1 hour or so and when I reached out to them, they said it wasn't their remit! It took them 3 months to fix it. I want to raise the mould issue at some point because I don't want them to hold me liable for it, but at the same time, mould on the ceiling indicates an issue that was already there from before I moved in. They just concealed it.

Do you think they could hold me liable for this and take my deposit if I had to move out because of a sale?

Reactions: 1
Just get some ciff mould spray, give it a spray, leave it 10 mins, wipe and problem solved. I read on hinch the ciff mould spray is the best and really delays the mould regrowth. I have the same prob in my rented bathroom, I think it's common x

Edit to add link to report I read the other day https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...rick-remove-mould-from-bathroom-ceilings/amp/
Thank you. I'm too tiny because the ceiling is quite high, but I will look into it.

Does it affect the paint at all?

If you are going to be moving out soon just try and hide it by cleaning it off or painting over it . No point in trying to treat the cause if it's not going to be your problem.

We used to get mould on the bathroom ceiling in our old house, it would just appear in certain areas.

Reactions: 2
If you are going to be moving out soon just try and hide it by cleaning it off or painting over it . No point in trying to treat the cause if it's not going to be your problem.

We used to get mould on the bathroom ceiling in our old house, it would just appear in certain areas.
Thank you.

I'm not planning on moving out any time soon. However, since the owner wanted a valuation done, I'm suspecting they want to sell, so I'm trying to anticipate in case they're selling. I'll try the Cif Mould Remover, see if it works. If not, I'll try to just paint over it (not sure I'm allowed, but since it's white paint, it won't be noticeable).

Spray bleach on it, wipe it off. Get the worst off. Leave it to completely dry - then whack some anti mould white paint over it 🤙🏼

Buy a flash speed mop, stick a wipe on it and mop the ceiling.

We need to replace our extractor fan so unless we open the window every time we shower, we get occasional spots of black mould.

Once you’ve got rid of it, get a unibond aero 360 to absorb some of the excess moisture in the room and the mould should appear less frequently.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Buy a flash speed mop, stick a wipe on it and mop the ceiling.

We need to replace our extractor fan so unless we open the window every time we shower, we get occasional spots of black mould.

Once you’ve got rid of it, get a unibond aero 360 to absorb some of the excess moisture in the room and the mould should appear less frequently.
Thank you! Yes, I didn't think of that. I'll buy a mop!

Common sense is not that common for me when it comes to this type of stuff.

I used to spray HG mould foam at mine and just leave it. When I came back it was all gone and no need to scrub it just vanished.

It smells a bit fishy but I got it from Amazon.

Just spray mould remover on it, if you can't reach it to wipe it, that's fine, just don't look up in the direction of the spray because it'll drip in your eyes and mouth. I have a spot behind some pipes, that I can't reach with a cloth, that I spray. Looks fab after I've done it. I use either Astonish or Dettol mould and mildew remover

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Our bathroom has an extraction fan + we leave the window open most of the time and we still manage to get mould in parts on the ceiling ...

I just use Sugar Wipes (by Selleys) to get the mould off - it wipes off really easily - then buff it with a towel. I used to dab Exit Mould onto a cloth and dab the spots, but that didn't really do anything.

Thanks everyone! Great and super helpful advice! Definitely learned another thing about property maintenance :)

I ended up using Cif Mould Remover and a Flash mop to wipe it off.