Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

It's me

Iconic Member
You have to wonder who comes up with these things , for good or bad I don’t have that kind of imagination.
I have no idea. I mean momo is Japanese art at the end of the day!

The blue whale I think I guess if you are dealing with suicide of teens it's a hard subject to understand and we live in a society of blame culture.

Reactions: 1

Peeltheavocado

Chatty Member
There was an incident in my daughters class this week. One of the girls was terrified and wrote out a note to YouTube to take it (she didn’t fully understand) the deputy head came and spoke to the class.
I spoke to her on the phone yesterday and we’ve had emails from the school today. My daughter hasn’t seen it and doesn’t know what it looks like or what it does. We’ve had a conversation about it, similar to the conversation the deputy head had. She didn’t want to talk about too much, to the point where they got too curious, went home and looked it up.
We’re talking about mostly 7 year old children. And apparently there’s been some play acting in the play ground around this momo challenge.
We stopped YouTube altogether as like other parents we saw a diffence in behaviour. She likes to play puzzle games and silly slime games. But I’ve made sure that on her iPad she can only access the websites that are on the parental controls.
Last year we were watching YouTube with her on our tv and an ad for insidious came on just before a child’s cartoon ??‍♀??‍♀??‍♀??‍♀
Such a minefield isn’t it.

Reactions: 1

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
This is one of the main reasons I don’t let my children watch YouTube etc. They are only toddlers but it worries me so much when I see little children handed a phone or iPad and left to watch whatever they click.

I have a younger sister who is very much into YouTube and I was talking to her about this Momo thing. Luckily she’s never seen any of the content but a little girl from her dance class watched one with her young sister and was absolutely terrified.

I can’t quite wrap my head around the fact that a person makes this sort of video knowing full well it’s children who will be watching it.

ChrissyPoo

VIP Member
That face scares the shit out of me. It's terrifying... And exactly the reason my children are never left unattended when watching YouTube, Netflix or anything online. We personally find YouTube kids less safe (because it's targeted more) than the normal YouTube app.

WiKi

I'm so confused people are saying their kids have seen it ect but others are saying it's fake ?
A lot of kids are saying they’ve seen it but that could be because a) parents have asked them out of well meaning concern, showed them the picture and it’s freaked them out and the mind has started playing tricks etc or b) other kids at school have shown them.

There are no videos that have been ‘hacked’ and had Momo spliced into them. That would require some serious hacking skills and for YouTube to have a massive flaw in its security which would’ve been breached in other ways by now if it existed. There are videos up that look like that but they all seem to be very recent and actually have Momo in the video title. There are a few videos of you tubers doing the Momo challenge from a year or 2 ago but, again, they have Momo in the video title so it’s not a surprise

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
Are we to believe it’s real or a hoax? Confused, however it has highlighted internet safety which is a positive.
That said my children and most of their school hadn’t heard of momo before the school had an assembly on it last week (before the hoax info came out). Where is the responsible journalism in this?

Mayday

VIP Member
I know there's a lot of parents here so thought I'd post this:

It was popular last year with Youtubers 'playing' it. Apparently a 12 year old girl committed suicide over it and another kid was told to hold a knife to his throat. Its horrifying.