Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

flyingbuttress

I think it's completely relevant. It's the natural progression of a viewpoint that causing offense is somehow criminal or at least should be punished. I said yesterday that no one has the right to not be offended and it's true. It's insidious, of course no one wants to accidentally cause offense in the way that MOD did...fighting racism is something we all agree is important so we try better, perhaps we don't say anything in case we get it wrong. Next someone makes a statement based on immutable biological fact. They're not trying to upset anyone, but that's what they believe. Then a small but influential group of people take offense to that too and so they're punished. Bit by bit more people are being punished because the rules keep changing, so people stop talking. Then we're told that we have to be active in our support of these causes, it's not enough to stay silent so we have to openly affirm these accepted views.
It's all absolutely fine when it's about fighting racism, or homophobia... because these are things that need fighting. But then it moves and changes and all of a sudden you're in the wrong. Suddenly it's something that matters to you. It's the beginning of fascism. It's mad that we've got to the point of people actually being afraid to admit they voted to leave the EU, or that they vote conservative. We absolutely have to uphold the right to free speech, both for those we agree with, and those we disagree with.

'I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'
If you can't differentiate a person saying "trans women are not women" and person saying "X is aggressive" or "X hides behind her race" I can't help you here. Totally irrelevant. The tax woman works for a charity working to reduce poverty and inequality... There's free speech and there's making a statement which is conflict of interest to your role/company. I couldn't work for a steakhouse and tweet that all meat eaters should die...............