Mirena coil side effects.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 30 and had the mirena fitted after my second child due to suspected endometriosis & horrific periods / menstrual vomiting after my second child and as birth control too. It took 12 full months to stop any spotting or side effects but almost a year to the day I noticed I’d had a month with no issues & it’s been another 3 years since that and no issues.

Reckon it's safe enough to drive after first fitting? Pain wise?
They advise you not to drive home yourself, but I remember I did.

I had my copper coil out on Friday and a mirena fitted at the same time and except for the clamping and a slight twinge getting my old one out I haven't felt a thing. I've had no bleeding either. My husband came with me this time but I could have easily driven myself home.

Reactions: 1
Hey I was wondering if anyone has had the coil removed and how were your periods after?
I had the mirena coil removed 5 weeks ago and have had nothing no withdrawal bleed, cramps or anything. Did anyone else’s periods take a while to return?

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had the coil removed and how were your periods after?
I had the mirena coil removed 5 weeks ago and have had nothing no withdrawal bleed, cramps or anything. Did anyone else’s periods take a while to return?
Yes, mine took a good 6/7 weeks to return back to normal.

I know Tattle isn't limited to posters from the United Kingdom but I would hazard a lot of us are. This is a really useful resource:
It is for NHS Scotland but I am in the East Midlands and we have the same stock here.
Just be aware your GP may not be aware of different copper or hormonal coils. My old GP actually fitted Mirena and although she was aware of the lower hormone Kyleena and Jaydess she didn't know what they were called and referred me to the sexual health clinic (who did know)

I was fitted with a Jaydess in September 2020 to try to find a middle ground between the effects of progesterone (e.g low libido) and the period pains of the copper as I already suffered with bad periods.
I bled constantly for 3 months with the Jaydess. Then the bleeding settled down but my sex drive has tanked and I'm a lot more tired than I used to be.

I discussed with the newer and much better GP and although she was reluctant due to my menstrual history she ordered me the smallest copper coil on the market, the TT380 Slimline Mini. The TT380 Slimline (no Mini suffix) is the same size as the standard US Paragard which lots of people complain about. There is some evidence (behind paywalls) that smaller copper coils can give a reduction in the typical copper coil symptoms of pain, heavy bleeding and expulsion. One was a practice review from a UK sexual health clinic and the other was a blind Mexican study with their standard and Mini equivalents. I also believe Canada and EU countries have a Mini copper coil too under various names.

Due to strings going walkies I couldn't have the Jaydess changed in April 2021 but as of today the Jaydess is now out of me (the strings reappeared)! The copper one will be fitted in September. Even if I go back to my old heavy periods I will be happy to feel like I have my mind back.

Just thought I would share this for both sides of the debate that there are more than just two options for those in the UK.

I hope someone can help me with some advice please! I had my Mirena fitted back in June and it took a little while to settle down. We have not had sex since because now that it HAS settled I’m petrified of dislodging it or causing any more discomfort! Is that even possible?! Even though I know it’s a form of contraception and therefore designed for people having sex, I’m just scared! Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received ☺

I hope someone can help me with some advice please! I had my Mirena fitted back in June and it took a little while to settle down. We have not had sex since because now that it HAS settled I’m petrified of dislodging it or causing any more discomfort! Is that even possible?! Even though I know it’s a form of contraception and therefore designed for people having sex, I’m just scared! Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received ☺
Have you had an ultrasound to confirm placement? If not, see if you can get one via your GP (who whoever fitted your Mirena). Maybe being shown it is in correctly would help reassure you? Have you checked for your strings recently?
Also remember the Mirena has a dose of hormone too, so whilst placement is very important, there will also be progesterone acting locally that will thicken your cervical mucus, cause instability with your uterine lining so it's harder for an egg to implant and potentially prevent ovulation itself.

Note: I'm not a medical professional

Have you had an ultrasound to confirm placement? If not, see if you can get one via your GP (who whoever fitted your Mirena). Maybe being shown it is in correctly would help reassure you? Have you checked for your strings recently?
Also remember the Mirena has a dose of hormone too, so whilst placement is very important, there will also be progesterone acting locally that will thicken your cervical mucus, cause instability with your uterine lining so it's harder for an egg to implant and potentially prevent ovulation itself.

Note: I'm not a medical professional
Thank you 😊 sorry I should probably have explained myself more, I had it fitted for endometriosis pain not for contraception (my husband has had a vasectomy). So when I meant I feel scared, it’s regarding further pain not getting pregnant! I did have it checked by my GP after 6 weeks and all was ok, I’m just such a worrier 🙈 too many years of endo investigations have left me anxious about the slightest pain!

Thank you 😊 sorry I should probably have explained myself more, I had it fitted for endometriosis pain not for contraception (my husband has had a vasectomy). So when I meant I feel scared, it’s regarding further pain not getting pregnant! I did have it checked by my GP after 6 weeks and all was ok, I’m just such a worrier 🙈 too many years of endo investigations have left me anxious about the slightest pain!
Got it! Thanks for clarifying. I had a lot of cramps the first few months I had the Jaydess (the lower hormone version of Mirena) so managed them as I did my previously bad period pains but that was accompanied by bleeding. As far as expulsion/implantation risk, the risk is greatest when it is first inserted, within the first three months.
I feel that this is one of those psychological things. Perhaps you need to ensure you have easy access to whatever pain management you have previously used for endometriosis, and any other techniques you use to reduce pain close by when you do decide to go for it, so if needed you can stop. I think once you have 'successful' (😂) sex it will really give you reassurance.

I'm in my 3rd Mirena coil. On the whole it's been great but quite painful having it in or changed. Settled down in a few weeks. Unfortunately the pain I was given on the 2nd time , given that I was already constipated, stopped my bowel function completely and I ended up in hospital with a blockage. They also discovered a haemangioma on my liver which I was told could have been the result of taking the contraceptive pill or maybe even the first Mirena. But all a haemangioma is, is a mass of tangled blood vessels. There are no symptoms and it won't do any harm or grow unless I were to become pregnant again, so it's not a case for worry - just sounds worrying when you're first told you have a "non cancerous tumour" on your liver, but once you know what it actually is, it's more reassuring. I got the coil to avoid becoming pregnant so fingers crossed it continues to do its work! No periods, just the odd bit of spotting. I find I spot more when I'm extra stressed, strangely enough. The coil doesn't agree with everyone I guess, but I'd urge giving it a bit more time and then deciding.
Random - but I’ve just been referred for a MRI after finding a 13mm mass in my liver on my ultrasound Monday. Hopefully it’s a haemangioma, did you get diagnosed by MRI?