Mini pill/contraception advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone gone from the normal combined pill to the mini pill and noticed any side effects?

I recently within the last couple of months changed and I've noticed since I've done so my skin is so bad. I normally have quite clear skin but I seem to be getting quite a few spots now. Did anyone else experience this? Did it stop eventually? I feel awful 😫

I'm also getting quite a bit of spotting, which the nurse did warn me about but she said it doesn't happen to everyone.

Did you find you preferred the mini pill to the combined? My reason for changing was the combined was really affecting my moods, I was having my pill free week then I'd go back onto the pill and my mood would take a total dive. The nurse suggested the mini pill might help ease any low moods I'm having...

Reactions: 1
I went from the combined to the mini and for a little while I had spots and spotting yeah. It cleared up after a while though and for me the improvement in my mood was huge so I persevered. On the whole I don’t have periods now either, none at all for the first 18 months or so, this year I’ve started to have some very light period type incidents but nothing to really complain about. I think some side effects are to be expected to be honest in the same way that if you came off the combined pill entirely you’d almost certainly get spots etc. I think they advise about 12 weeks to let a pill settle before you try another. Which one are you on? I went from Yasmin to Cerelle and I’ve been happy with it

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I went from the combined to the mini and for a little while I had spots and spotting yeah. It cleared up after a while though and for me the improvement in my mood was huge so I persevered. On the whole I don’t have periods now either, none at all for the first 18 months or so, this year I’ve started to have some very light period type incidents but nothing to really complain about. I think some side effects are to be expected to be honest in the same way that if you came off the combined pill entirely you’d almost certainly get spots etc. I think they advise about 12 weeks to let a pill settle before you try another. Which one are you on? I went from Yasmin to Cerelle and I’ve been happy with it
Oh that's good to hear it did settle, I was getting worried thinking I was destined to be spotty from now on haha!

I've gone from rigevidon to desogestrel!

I'm glad to hear it's helped your mood. I've been really struggling with my mood, so much so at points I've been so angry I've felt like I didn't even recognise myself! So if it can help improve my mood I'll be really grateful :)

Oh that's good to hear it did settle, I was getting worried thinking I was destined to be spotty from now on haha!

I've gone from rigevidon to desogestrel!

I'm glad to hear it's helped your mood. I've been really struggling with my mood, so much so at points I've been so angry I've felt like I didn't even recognise myself! So if it can help improve my mood I'll be really grateful :)
You could try another mini pill if it doesn't settle. I had Cerazette ages ago and that made me really spotty and greasy haired which didn't go away even after 3 months, so I caved and went back on the combined pill haha. But yeah my mood was terrible on the combined pill, I found it made me really depressed and swapping has really helped. It's also a lot safer and you don't need to be weighed etc every time you want another prescription so it's more convenient too!

• Heart
I went from combined to mini.

with the combined (during the 7 day break) I would be so ill. I’d have horrendously heavy periods, severe vomiting and pain.

So I was prescribed the mini pill and to take it continuously without a break. Resulting in no period or pain.

When I first starting taking the mini I put a bit of weight on and got awful acne. GP gave me zineryt lotion for my spots and it calmed down and I now have to watch what I eat to keep my weight stable.

But having no periods outway all the negatives.

I had low moods with the combined and still have low moods with the mini. Sadly it’s mostly trial and error with these things and seeing what suits your body.

• Heart
I too went from Rigevidon to Desogestrel. The reason i switched from the combined to mini pill was partially due to migraines but also due to my horrific mood, I was getting mood swings and extreme sensitivity up to a week before and a week after each period! When i first started the mini pill I had a lot of spotting, it lasted daily for up to two weeks but then I would have two-ish weeks of no blood, then blood again for a while but the blood has barely been enough for a small pad, I was able to get away with panty liners for most of it. My skin has been fairly spotty though but it comes and goes in breakouts, I have bought a new face wash (the seaweed one from the body shop) & a facial sponge/buffer to use daily and a face mask for occasional use and it has helped with my skin! In regards to my mood it took a few weeks/months for me to settle and I do still get the occasional hot hotheadedness but it is nowhere near what it was when I was on the combined pill, I feel a lot more like myself again.

I really hope it works for you! ☺

• Heart
Yes a month ago I went from milinet to cerelle and I’m pleasantly surprised however not sure if it’s to early to tell of any side affects . I was so scared as had been on the combined for 8 years but I had one normal period a week after I went started taking it and nothing else since. I’m not prone to spots/acne so hoping that doesn’t change and I can mange my weight fairly easily so hoping that doesn’t change either

• Heart
I've been on cerezette for about 5 years. I haven't had a period in all that time, I'd got light spotting about every 6 months (though in the last 6-9 that I've had a couple of episodes of spotting accompanied with PMT type symptoms that have lasted a few days. I have gained a few pounds which I'm finding hard to shift but have otherwise had no issues with it. I've never tried anything else though so nothing to compare it to.

Hi I've just had my pill check today and doctor quite abruptly took me off combined pill and immediately onto cerelle progestogen-only pill, the joys of being over 35 and at more risk of blood clots. Reading through the leaflet im really not looking forward to being on it, spots, irregular periods, spotting, weight gain 😭

• Sad
I went from Yasmin to Desogestrel. I loved Yasmin, helped my PMS so much and cleared my skin up. Its only been 2 weeks but on Deso, my hair and skin is SO oily!!! I hate it. Ive had some spotting as well

• Sad
I came off the combined pill and have been off it for about a year and a half
Last week I started it again as I can’t cope with not knowing when my period is coming and sometimes the cramps are horrific and I can’t deal with it anymore

but since starting the pill again my mood has completely dropped and my sex drive (sorry for tmi) is basically non existent. These are the reasons I went off the pill in the first place.

would the mini pill help with moods/libido? I’m scared to try another pill lol

Yes a month ago I went from milinet to cerelle and I’m pleasantly surprised however not sure if it’s to early to tell of any side affects . I was so scared as had been on the combined for 8 years but I had one normal period a week after I went started taking it and nothing else since. I’m not prone to spots/acne so hoping that doesn’t change and I can mange my weight fairly easily so hoping that doesn’t change either
I'm the same as you, I went from the combined pill for 10 years to taking the mini pill. I also got a period after a week and (fingers crossed) that will be the last one!

I'm worried about weight gain on this pill so I'm making a point to watch what I eat 😬

I'm the same as you, I went from the combined pill for 10 years to taking the mini pill. I also got a period after a week and (fingers crossed) that will be the last one!

I'm worried about weight gain on this pill so I'm making a point to watch what I eat 😬
It has been a month and a half since I posted that and fingers crossed still no period or any other side affects! Hopefully it works for you as well

So glad I found this thread! How is everyone getting on? I started Desogestrel yesterday and I’m really scared 🤦🏼‍♀️. I know it’s only been 2 days but strangely I’ve woken up with very non-greasy hair, is this normal? I usually have to wash my hair every day and today it’s as fresh as a daisy… not the worst side effect to have I guess 😂 but very worried about weight gain as I’m on a bit of a fitness regime at the mo!

So glad I found this thread! How is everyone getting on? I started Desogestrel yesterday and I’m really scared 🤦🏼‍♀️. I know it’s only been 2 days but strangely I’ve woken up with very non-greasy hair, is this normal? I usually have to wash my hair every day and today it’s as fresh as a daisy… not the worst side effect to have I guess 😂 but very worried about weight gain as I’m on a bit of a fitness regime at the mo!
I have been taking desogestrel for 5 years and haven't had any major problems with it. I have gained a tiny amount of weight despite going to the gym several times a week but it's hard to say whether this is because of the pill or because of lifestyle because it has happened very gradually. Best thing is I haven't had a proper period in all that time so it's a small price to pay in my opinion!

I took the mini pill for 15 years and loved it. I tried loads of combined pills before it, but had horrid side effects with them. The mini pill that suited me was called Noriday, which contains norithesterone. It didn’t give me any side effects at all. Unlike the combined pill, it doesn’t stop you ovulating (it works by thickening your cervical mucous and thinning the womb lining), so you still get to benefit from your own hormones, rather than having your hormones shut down like with the combined pill (which can lead to things like low mood and no sex drive, as other posters have mentioned). I had normal, clockwork periods with Noriday, but they were light and pretty pain free. Newer mini pills like cerazette, however, can suppress ovulation and stop periods. I tried that and didn’t get on with it. Interestingly, I’ve read online that many women don’t tolerate older progestogens like norithesterone very well, but it shows how different we all are, because it was the only synthetic hormone that suited me.

I've been on it for a while now and it's great! I had a bit of spotting for the first few weeks but haven't had any periods since starting which is great 😂 My moods are 100% better which is the main reason I switched to this pill, I no longer have weeks where I just feel angry and want to cry. The only thing I do notice is around the time I would normally be on my period I do get a few spots and my skin isn't great, but it's nothing major and I'd rather that than have really low moods all the time! :) I didn't notice any change to my hair, and I also haven't noticed any weight gain personally.

Ah thanks girls! I know it’s only day 3 but I feel surprisingly okay … when I was on the combined pill I think I was ready to jump in front of a train at this stage! 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
I was exactly the same on the combined pill! It was awful! Fingers crossed this one suits you better :)

• Heart
Random question but has anyone had an increased appetite while on the mini pill? I’ve been on Desogestrel for just over a month now and can’t help but notice I feel hungry a lot more! I already feel like I’ve gained a bit of weight

it’s frustrating because I’ve tried pretty much everything else over the years so was hoping this would work well for me ☹