Michelle Choi

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems she doesn't have a thread here and I was curious what others think of her cause I'm quite confused sometimes. I like watching her and she seems rather unproblematic and nice however some things seem suss.

First of all I'm jelly of the amount of food she can eat and still stay quite skinny. In the newest vlog she made like 4 giant meals. I wonder whether it's natural or just for show. She's been on a "weight gain journey" before, as she mentioned, though that seemed weird to me cause while she's slim she didn't seem to have to gain weight necessarily. Idk.

Second thing is her finances, I remember on the other closed forum a bunch of people were suspicious of how she manages to fund her lifestyle. Especially when she first moved to NY and was claiming she's fully independent and "just saves money" thus is able to rent a big apartment in fancy NY neighbourhood when we can constantly see her buy expensive stuff (like electronics f.ex.) on a whim.

Lastly, there were lots of rumours about her having had a plastic surgery, probably back in SK. Supposedly she somehow managed to make her old pictures disappear from the internet (I seem to remember seeing some on the deleted forum but now they're gone). She denies ofc.

Super interested what you think!

Reactions: 5
I adore Michelle! I especially love the friendship between her and Esther. I think a lot of financial support comes from her family, even though that contradicts what they are currently doing for work. Not sure, but either way still love her!

Reactions: 2
I've just started following her on YouTube and came here to see which neighbourhood she lives in/how much her rent is. That seems like a fancy apartment. She seems really lovely though.

Reactions: 3
Overall, she seems really likeable. But yeah, her lifestyle is really luxurious. I do think she makes a lot of money from sponsorships and from Little Puffy.

She was really down for a while but now she seems like she's on the up and up; I think she is dating again. I think she and Sophia Chang are similar in the sense that they both get lonely without an SO. They somehow HAVE to be in a relationship to be happy.

Reactions: 7
I like her, I feel she has a more unique quality among Influencers where she really doesn’t try to be someone she’s not. At first I was put off by her in a way, but I came around in how genuine I found her and a kind of simplicity in the things she enjoys.

As for the money, it doesn’t confuse me because I feel she just makes a lot from her Influencing job. A lot of people wonder how Influencers can afford their lifestyle, and really for many of them, it’s just that you wouldn’t believe what a single sponsorship would pay. Also, while it’s a nice enough apartment, and for sure it’s ‘expensive’ as it is in a nice location in NYC, it’s also not too extravagant— not even a full one bedroom (a den bedroom with no windows, closet, or door). So she’s technically paying a lot in rent (like the rest of us ugh) but I think she’s living within her means. I don’t think it’s her parents since we have seen they are very working class. She might have some money saved from family though.

Also this isn’t even to defend her, but I am similar to her with weight and trying to eat to gain. I think it does make a different what she is eating— eggs, veggies, etc., and working out a lot. From my perspective, she eats pretty normally for someone who is smaller, active, and probably hungry a lot, and I feel kind of bad for her with the comments about her overeating in case she has any ED history and is trying to overcome it.

Anyway that’s not to rave about her, because she definitely has faults, and I’m glad there is a thread for her.

Reactions: 3
This girl went to my HS and I've watched a couple of her videos since my hs friends told me she's become this famous "influencer".
She was a huge B* in high school, stuck up, thought she was super hot, and was not a nice person. Half the people at my HS did not like her because she had such a bad personality.

Just putting my unsolicited perspective out there because I think her viewers need to also know that she's not 100% of how she portrays herself to be on youtube in the "nice-girl/i'm so chill" sense.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
This girl went to my HS and I've watched a couple of her videos since my hs friends told me she's become this famous "influencer".
She was a huge B* in high school, stuck up, thought she was super hot, and was not a nice person. Half the people at my HS did not like her because she had such a bad personality.

Just putting my unsolicited perspective out there because I think her viewers need to also know that she's not 100% of how she portrays herself to be on youtube in the "nice-girl/i'm so chill" sense.
Well I used to super like how relatable she was with the whole "being a loner at school" thing but turns out it was for very different reasons than I thought after all 😬

In general I'm starting to get annoyed with her. She doesn't point on time - sometimes she's few days left, other times she constantly takes 2-3 weeks breaks. Not to mention that every video of hers is now sponsored and given how short they are usually (around 10 min), the ad takes up lots of space compared to the rest of the content. Not to mention her vlogs are a total boredom now, whenever she finally does something interesting she doesn't show much and ends the vlog. Idk she could do so much more in NYC, all the activities, sightseeing, networking, art, SO MANY THINGS. It's actually a waste for her to live in NY at this point.

Wow, what a revelation. Please do spill the tea...

I adore Michelle! I especially love the friendship between her and Esther. I think a lot of financial support comes from her family, even though that contradicts what they are currently doing for work. Not sure, but either way still love her!
I noticed recently that Michelle and Esther stopped hanging out. Also Freesia and Esther don't mention Michelle at all in Freesia's new video. I found that kinda weird. They also stopped liking/commenting on Michelle's instagram pics. I don't think Freesia and Esther are friends with Michelle anymore. Wonder what happened between them 🤨

Overall, she seems really likeable. But yeah, her lifestyle is really luxurious. I do think she makes a lot of money from sponsorships and from Little Puffy.

She was really down for a while but now she seems like she's on the up and up; I think she is dating again. I think she and Sophia Chang are similar in the sense that they both get lonely without an SO. They somehow HAVE to be in a relationship to be happy.
Yes. I find her very online persona very likeable. It's quite different from the other Asian influencers that give off very try-hard and clout chasing vibes. I totally agree with her being codependent on a boyfriend. I found it uncomfortable when she made a depressing vlog post breakup with Ivan. Then later made another one where she says that they're back together, followed by another one where they finally break up for good.
I hope she is happy in her new relationship though.

Reactions: 1
She always had a very "blah" personality/mindset and people liked hanging out around with her because she was simply put, pretty. She had a "possy" during high school, who were blatant bullies (not to me) but to people they did not consider cool, etc. I spent a good chunk having to be around her - she was high-strung, yelled at people, and got into fights. She went to Korea because she did not get into universities anywhere in the US. Her looks have gotten her this far as a means to gain followers and traction on Youtube/Social Media.

Ultimately it's everyone's choice to continue to support her by watching her videos and following her on instagram. Given that, I think that there are plenty of other influencers out there who are much more down-to-earth and have more substance to provide versus what I've seen from the couple videos that I've watched.

While I won't be supporting her, I hope that people who do end up reading this thread can hopefully reconsider whether they want to support a girl who is clearly okay portraying herself in a way that's deceptive to her following.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
She always had a very "blah" personality/mindset and people liked hanging out around with her because she was simply put, pretty. She had a "possy" during high school, who were blatant bullies (not to me) but to people they did not consider cool, etc. I spent a good chunk having to be around her - she was high-strung, yelled at people, and got into fights. She went to Korea because she did not get into universities anywhere in the US. Her looks have gotten her this far as a means to gain followers and traction on Youtube/Social Media.

Ultimately it's everyone's choice to continue to support her by watching her videos and following her on instagram. Given that, I think that there are plenty of other influencers out there who are much more down-to-earth and have more substance to provide versus what I've seen from the couple videos that I've watched.

While I won't be supporting her, I hope that people who do end up reading this thread can hopefully reconsider whether they want to support a girl who is clearly okay portraying herself in a way that's deceptive to her following.
Thanks a lot for sharing! I must say that while I did suspect she may be "slightly" different to the cutesy innocent persona she portrays on social media, the behaviour you described is quite disgusting. If this actually got out to her followers she could always claim the "I've changed" bullshit like other influencers but at least you've changed my mind about her! :) It's really off putting, if it happened in high school I may have had more understanding cause people do really dumb tit in high school but at uni you're already an adult and should know much better. Meanwhile, she portrays herself as that poor girl at uni who spent time alone and was an outcast cause she didn't speak Korean well and was "dIfFrEnT". Wow.

What a revelation! Thanks for sharing.

She just came out with a new (sponsored, ofcourse) vlog and as predicted, she's been "happy" lately because she has a new beau. Kinda sad to see when girls are "depressed" when they aren't dating anyone.

Thanks a lot for sharing! I must say that while I did suspect she may be "slightly" different to the cutesy innocent persona she portrays on social media, the behaviour you described is quite disgusting. If this actually got out to her followers she could always claim the "I've changed" bullshit like other influencers but at least you've changed my mind about her! :) It's really off putting, if it happened in high school I may have had more understanding cause people do really dumb tit in high school but at uni you're already an adult and should know much better. Meanwhile, she portrays herself as that poor girl at uni who spent time alone and was an outcast cause she didn't speak Korean well and was "dIfFrEnT". Wow.
This person is saying they knew her in HS, not university.

Did she get a lot of work done?

This is surprising.She never struck me as a bullying/mean girl type, just introverted and a bit shy.But who knows?.
Anybody know anything about her new boyfriend?.She seemed pretty heartbroken when she split from Ivan.He came across like a bit of a dick to me.I always got the sense that she was way more into him than he was into her.

The ‘knew her in real life’ account is a bit sus. She might’ve been a bully in high school, idk, and that would be unforgivable to me. But the other parts are weird— going to Korea because she couldn’t get into US universities just sounds like rumours that would be started by kids in high school, and it doesn’t make much sense either.

Then insisting that she ‘only got this far because of looks’ is also questionable. On YouTube, there are countless pretty girls who start channels that go nowhere, and while Michelle is pretty, she’s not like a complete show stopping stunner that would have people follow her to look at her face. Whatever one might think of the value of YouTube and vlogs, she has an audience because she has consistently created content on key areas of interest on YT (cooking, moving and setting up apartments, travel, living alone, living in NYC, Asian culture, etc.,) and has managed to sustain a key following and build an actual brand and merch line. You might think the Influencer culture is unfair in and of itself and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with that, but the ‘she’s only got this far because she’s pretty’ makes the whole account seem suspicious.

Also I did note that you started out saying that in high school she was blah personality wise and that again she only had friends because she was pretty… but then you say she was high strung, yelled, and got into fights. Weird contrast.
Again, I could believe that she’s completely the opposite to how she portrays herself but I’m just not too confident about where this person is coming from.

Reactions: 6
I can't with her content lately. Seems all she wants to do is prance around trying to look cute and make cutesy faces at the camera.

The segment with her grandma made me cry. I hope she has a great carer and lots of support.

Can't recall correctly so if anyone knows - when did they move from Korea to US?

I don't really care what people did in high school. A lot of people were little shits in high school, and to judge them forever on that period of their life (that I believe most people grow out of too) is a cop-out. Like what's the alternative here? Remaining immature and horrible forever for the sake of consistency? Nah.

Of course, it's good to be aware that most of us don't know tit about influencers and they may be a totally different person behind the scenes.