Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

PoleStar

Chatty Member
I've experienced both extremes during my time. A corporate organisation I worked for a number of years ago paid for me to have 6 sessions of private counselling to help me on the road to recovery, they treated me really well. On the other hand, a large NHS hospital I worked at a few years ago sent me to Occupational Health, monitored all my sick leave and made me feel I was being constantly watched. It was awful. My parents had both died within just over a year of one another, all our jobs were changed and we had to reapply for our own jobs, I was being bullied by my manager and several colleagues and in the end I had a breakdown and ended up self-harming. You'd think a hospital would show more compassion wouldn't you, but that place was a bed of vipers.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10

Scvee13

Agree with the above. NHS as an employer were not supportive. Was off with stress due to issues at home, was harassed constantly to see when I'd be back. Starbucks also lack support in that department.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

Lucy102

I had a bad breakdown last year, went to the doctors and was signed off for two weeks, my work begrudgingly accepted it but i was still hassled every other day asking if i was “well yet“ or if i knew when i was coming back, even though they had my form from the doctors. When i went back after the two weeks my managers response (who was SO horrible) was “put a smile on your face and try to cheer up or you can just leave today if you want, we need happy people in this company” i did leave a while after that.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7

Hinchhater1442

Chatty Member
I think it’s a really hard thing to balance. From a managerial point of view especially. Firstly there are guidelines to follow- I too would also have to refer to occupational health to see how I could best support you. (As whilst I could approve the leave, that isn’t necessarily going to resolve anything. So if you continuously did this I’d need to evidence how I’ve supported you and tried to reduce this level of absence) But mainly because it isn’t sustainable for the service we provide for someone to need two days off so suddenly. BUT I also get you can’t help with when your mental health is triggered so it’s a really difficult situation seeing it from both sides.

i don’t know that with any level of training it’d get much better. Whilst you can widen your knowledge of mental health/the struggles people actually live with/how to reduced their stress of anxiety levels, it doesn’t change the process of absence monitoring and the hoops senior level staff have to jump through to prove they’re trying to run a safe service whilst supporting staff and also keeping an eye on things. It’s a tough one!

Reactions: 6

Zobodone

I had a nervous breakdown last week due to stress and also I’m diagnosed with some mental health disorders. I just went to work and pretended all was ok. I’m still suffering now but if I even have so much as a day off for something I get made to feel so guilty. Last time it was “oh we were so busy, you choose the right day to have a day off!” and little digs like that. I had a panic attack in front of my boss last week and it was, get a coffee made and then go do *whatever job I had to do next* There’s no one else to do my job so I’m made to feel like absolute crap as getting cover is a hit and miss. I’m sat dreading going in today again because I’m struggling to even leave the house let alone be around lots of people. I know it’s wrong to feel like that in a company but when you’ve bills to pay as a single mother on a part time income only - it’s a case of keep your gob shut and crack on 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 5

Orange Creme

VIP Member
I've experienced both extremes during my time. A corporate organisation I worked for a number of years ago paid for me to have 6 sessions of private counselling to help me on the road to recovery, they treated me really well. On the other hand, a large NHS hospital I worked at a few years ago sent me to Occupational Health, monitored all my sick leave and made me feel I was being constantly watched. It was awful. My parents had both died within just over a year of one another, all our jobs were changed and we had to reapply for our own jobs, I was being bullied by my manager and several colleagues and in the end I had a breakdown and ended up self-harming. You'd think a hospital would show more compassion wouldn't you, but that place was a bed of vipers.
I can relate to this, I used to work in the primary school and the teachers were nasty, spiteful bullies. I was on sick leave for mental health reasons and the head kept ringing me asking when I'd be back.

Laur91

VIP Member
Could be worse. You could work for an agency that couldn’t give a rats ass you or about mental health days and would just replace you at the drop of a hat.
🙄 Of course it could be worse but that’s one of the reasons why I am in permanent employment - for the security. It’s all relative...

I appreciate not everyone is the same but that’s why I posted asking for peoples experiences?

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
My work place has always been amazing. Work for the CPS and it can be extremely high stress and they’ve always been accommodating with both home and work stress from employees. Whilst I’ve never had to call upon the help, others have nothing but praise.

In contrast my husband works within the NHS and he has seen employees bullied and pushed regarding mental health and he cannot wait to leave the bully culture created by the management in the NHS.

QueenDecember

VIP Member
I have gone from polar opposites. In my previous job my boss once told me to take a paracetamol for a panic attack and pull myself together. I went through a period of severe anxiety and they still continued to call me outside of hours and on the weekends, I don’t work there now for obvious reasons but it was terrible. They actually made my anxiety worse.
I now work for a company that it’s totally remote and within reason flexible hours, Im, sick pay, I’m not allowed work emails on my phone and they actively promote good mental health and have full policies on how they will support us if we need it.

- also it’s not an MLM I get asked this a lot 😂 it’s a completely normal company but everyone works from home or wherever they want but just not in an office.
So glad you’re at a better employer now! 👏👏

Where I currently work, I enjoy my job itself but leadership and culture is horrible at things like this. Mental health for one but even physical health. If you miss work or even work from home for any reason, the management makes you feel like a criminal. Right now one of my coworkers is battling cancer and understandably misses work and works flex hours. The way they talk about him behind his back is appalling.

All of this is playing into why I’m currently looking for a new job. I’m being selective in what I apply for and pay close attention during interviews for red flags. A positive work culture is #1 on my list of musts for my next role. I’m a very hard and dedicated worker - but don’t want to leave one toxic environment for another.

Reactions: 4

Spencerskates

VIP Member
I went to the doctors yesterday in the hope of being signed off as I really can’t cope at the minute but the doctor said because I’m not actively suicidal it’s not a concern for him. I’m so sad and feel really let down.

• Sad
Reactions: 3

vodkandcokeplz

Chatty Member
Could be worse. You could work for an agency that couldn’t give a rats ass you or about mental health days and would just replace you at the drop of a hat.

• Angry
  • Sad

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
I went to the doctors yesterday in the hope of being signed off as I really can’t cope at the minute but the doctor said because I’m not actively suicidal it’s not a concern for him. I’m so sad and feel really let down.
Sorry you are feeling like that. Could you self certify for a few days then arrange to see a different Dr? What kind of unsupported attitude is that. Such a shame you experienced that.

tskiry56

I worked for the nhs a few years ago and during that period I ended up going to work one day with blood pouring down my face and finally admitting to being in a violent relationship. I know if I didnt go to work that day and subsequently a&e I would not of told anyone the truth.
My grandparents also passed away while I worked there and I really struggled with having horrible memories all around me.
I dont think I admitted to how much I struggled with things to my employees. I ended up with PTSD anxiety and depression and in the end took redundancy from my job as they was relocating and the commute wasnt logical for me.
I then started working for a charity and was open to how I felt about things and what I went through and they have been nothing but supportive in allowing me to go to counselling etc and looking after wellbeing.

I have gone from polar opposites. In my previous job my boss once told me to take a paracetamol for a panic attack and pull myself together. I went through a period of severe anxiety and they still continued to call me outside of hours and on the weekends, I don’t work there now for obvious reasons but it was terrible. They actually made my anxiety worse.
I now work for a company that it’s totally remote and within reason flexible hours, Im, sick pay, I’m not allowed work emails on my phone and they actively promote good mental health and have full policies on how they will support us if we need it.

- also it’s not an MLM I get asked this a lot 😂 it’s a completely normal company but everyone works from home or wherever they want but just not in an office.

Laur91

VIP Member
I’m sad to see that there are quite a few stories like mine where employers are still just so ignorant to mental health issues. So much still needs to be done!!

im particularly surprised about NHS and schools though as you’d expect them to know better and have stricter policies around that sort of thing!!

I work for a small company (10 employees) and was signed off last year for two weeks due to anxiety. I managed to hide my problems quite well so it was a shock to everyone, but my job is difficult and I work hard, management were great and basically said do what you need to do. I was so so scared of telling my boss I’d been signed off (I didn’t go to the GP asking to be signed off so- I went because I was struggling in general, so I didn’t really have time to think about how I would tell him)
However, some colleagues were not so great. I found out that when I was off, one person said they didn’t believe in mental health problems. 😡 comments like that are one of the reasons why people suffer in silence.

• Sad

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
My work place has always been amazing. Work for the CPS and it can be extremely high stress and they’ve always been accommodating with both home and work stress from employees. Whilst I’ve never had to call upon the help, others have nothing but praise.

In contrast my husband works within the NHS and he has seen employees bullied and pushed regarding mental health and he cannot wait to leave the bully culture created by the management in the NHS.
Completely agree. I've worked for the nhs for nearly 20 years. I've seen bullying and unfair treatment of staff happen many times in different hospitals I've worked in. It's often quite low level so not always obvious to others.

Reactions: 2

hrh89

VIP Member
I had a bad breakdown last year, went to the doctors and was signed off for two weeks, my work begrudgingly accepted it but i was still hassled every other day asking if i was “well yet“ or if i knew when i was coming back, even though they had my form from the doctors. When i went back after the two weeks my managers response (who was SO horrible) was “put a smile on your face and try to cheer up or you can just leave today if you want, we need happy people in this company” i did leave a while after that.
that’s completely disgusting. How awful for you. If you are signed off by a doctor they should not be contacting you. I would say a quick check in nearer the end of your sick leave just to see where you are in terms of returning to work, but for the rest of the time you should be left alone.

bet that manager wouldn’t want to be treated the way they treated you if they went through something similar. Some people are so cold and uncaring. I hope you’re in a better place now.

vodkandcokeplz

Chatty Member
🙄 Of course it could be worse but that’s one of the reasons why I am in permanent employment - for the security. It’s all relative...

I appreciate not everyone is the same but that’s why I posted asking for peoples experiences?
So why are you eye rolling? My comment was meant in a ‘think positive and appreciate what you have’ kind of perspective 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean, if everyone could ‘choose’ permanent employment then I’m sure they would.

Laur91

VIP Member
So why are you eye rolling? My comment was meant in a ‘think positive and appreciate what you have’ kind of perspective 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean, if everyone could ‘choose’ permanent employment then I’m sure they would.
Because there doesn’t always need to be a ‘well, others have it worse!’ kind of comment. It’s different for everyone and actually a lot of comments on here are positive & saying how much their employers do for them. Just because others have it worse doesn’t mean that it’s still not shit for someone on another level...

My employer, as an organisation, is dealing with MH issues well. Anxiety is listed as a reason to call in sick. On the other hand, my dept is a bit behind. They (the management) are trying to be understanding and sensitive about the issues, but they are reluctant to allow flexible working or working from home. It's bad, because people could work from home even on 80% of their abilities, but instead they call in sick and get paid for sitting at home, where they could work if they wanted to
that’s really interesting! My employer allows 1 WFH day a week which I utilise and find incredibly helpful but it’s a shame your org doesn’t allow people the chance. Sometimes it’s not about needing to sit at home doing nothing but even just working from home can be beneficial and give our minds a rest from manic offices etc! Hopefully they will work towards that and make it an option in the future.

I genuinely believe remote working is the future for the majority of employers that could utilise it and that are applicable.