Mental health ... bad thoughts scaring me

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suffer with anxiety and depression and am a kind sensitive and caring person im empathetic and just always have been that way. over the last few weeks I keep getting vile immoral thoughts and images in my head it’s making me feel like a bad person and like I don’t deserve any kindness or help has anyone else experienced this with their mental health? I was up all last night having a horrific panic attack because of these thoughts... they are not who I am but I keep believing that they are. I’d never act on ANY all I am is kind ... so why would I have these horrific thoughts I really am a mess can anyone help me

Hi ❤ from my experience I think these are 'intrusive thoughts' that usually stem from anxiety, its really common so don't worry. Lots of women suffer from them especially after they've just had a baby - thoughts of harming the baby etc. I personally spoke to the doctor about mine and was prescribed an anti depressant which has done wonders for my anxiety.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hi ❤ from my experience I think these are 'intrusive thoughts' that usually stem from anxiety, its really common so don't worry. Lots of women suffer from them especially after they've just had a baby - thoughts of harming the baby etc. I personally spoke to the doctor about mine and was prescribed an anti depressant which has done wonders for my anxiety.
I was about to say this. I had horrific intrusive thoughts after having my first baby and found it really distressing as it was not who I was. I used to have one where I threw my baby out the window and I couldn't go into her room as I was scared I'd have the thought whilst in there. Same with bathing her, my husband had to bath her for the first few months of her life. I didn't want to tell my psychiatrist in case they took my baby off me but when I eventually told them they said it was really normal and didn't mean I would act on it. Please speak to your Dr, medication can really help. These thoughts are not who you are xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Please reach out to a doctor or a therapist and let them know. This is really common but it becomes terrifying and debilitating very quickly. Get some professional help. There's no shame in it and you'll feel like yourself again once the intrusive thoughts are treated (with meds usually, but even talk therapy can help). I'm so sorry you're going through this.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I haven't posted on tattle before but felt I had to today. From your post, I can feel how distressed you are. I have also felt exactly how you feel at the moment and as others have said, please get professional help. You are not a bad person and you do deserve kindness and happiness. - please believe that With support hopefully you will find it. Sending you love ❤. Take care and stay safe and healthy ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m waiting for a phone call from the doctor to maybe change my meds I’m only on 25mg of sertraline atm .... thank you everyone x

• Heart
I have had some awful intrusive thoughts before, just wanted to let you know that you aren’t alone. I know it can be so distressing. I’m glad you’ve reached out to your Dr and hope that they can help xx

Reactions: 1
I suffer with anxiety and depression and am a kind sensitive and caring person im empathetic and just always have been that way. over the last few weeks I keep getting vile immoral thoughts and images in my head it’s making me feel like a bad person and like I don’t deserve any kindness or help has anyone else experienced this with their mental health? I was up all last night having a horrific panic attack because of these thoughts... they are not who I am but I keep believing that they are. I’d never act on ANY all I am is kind ... so why would I have these horrific thoughts I really am a mess can anyone help me
Hey, these are intrusive thoughts and stem from anxiety/ panic disorder. You are kind, you are not your thoughts and you wouldn’t find them so distressing if you were ‘that kind of person’. Be gentle with yourself and speak to a GP or perhaps a mental health helpline first of all.

These thoughts are really common but cause people to feel ashamed or scared to talk about it for fear of what people might think.

Try SANEline 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day). There is Samaritans too, don’t suffer alone xx

I’m waiting for a phone call from the doctor to maybe change my meds I’m only on 25mg of sertraline atm .... thank you everyone x
Obvs I don’t know your medical history or anything but I’d strongly suggest diazepam to get you thorough the major crisis moments you’re having right now if it’s suitable for you. Maybe you could ask your doctor.
For me it breaks the chain of thoughts. You know you’re worried about something but can’t remember what, and if you do remember you can only go a couple of steps into the what-ifs before you lose track. No rabbit holes or progression of scenarios.
Lots of love to you x

Reactions: 2
The doctor have gave me diazepam like you said :) as u said I just can’t keep track now and I’m just so so worried I will continue to have bad thoughts I just want nice happy thoughts not bad thoughts and images. It’s really eating me up he’s also told me to go up to 50mg of sertraline thank u all xx

Reactions: 3
I don’t have much extra to add but my daughter suffers with her MH and can have horrible intrusive thoughts, often with voices telling her to do things. To others and herself. Often violent or sexual. It’s very scary and upsetting but I wanted you to know your not alone and it’s your MH playing up and not you actually having these bad thoughts. I’m glad you’ve been to the docs. MH can be the worst. Take care xx

• Heart
The doctor have gave me diazepam like you said :) as u said I just can’t keep track now and I’m just so so worried I will continue to have bad thoughts I just want nice happy thoughts not bad thoughts and images. It’s really eating me up he’s also told me to go up to 50mg of sertraline thank u all xx
Can you just try to distract yourself? go out for a walk or something? and tell yourself its just thoughts? Also I wouldn't recommend being on Diazepam for more than a really short period like a couple of weeks because they can be an absolute nightmare to come off. x I think its part of bad depression and everyone has them at some point.

I don't really have a lot to add or really any advice but I just wanted to say how brave it is to admit that you are having these thoughts. I can't begin to imagine how distressing this must be for you but these thoughts aren't you and you won't feel like this forever. I do hope you can get some help and support xx

• Heart
I don’t have much extra to add but my daughter suffers with her MH and can have horrible intrusive thoughts, often with voices telling her to do things. To others and herself. Often violent or sexual. It’s very scary and upsetting but I wanted you to know your not alone and it’s your MH playing up and not you actually having these bad thoughts. I’m glad you’ve been to the docs. MH can be the worst. Take care xx
Can I ask what she does to help herself? This is how I feel?

Can I ask what she does to help herself? This is how I feel?
She’s only 16 so she’s not able to have anything like diazepam unfortunately but she does take 175mg of sertraline which has taken the edge off her problems. We mainly use distraction. So anything we can to distract her, going out, go for a drive, watch TV, bake, tidy. It doesn’t stop it happening it just takes her mind off it for a while. Sometimes she writes it down for me, to get it out of her own head. She uses the age appropriate help lines to talk to somebody. If it’s been really bad I’ve taken her to A&E if she’s felt very unsafe to be left alone with her thoughts. As horrible as the thoughts are we find talking them thru almost makes them seem less scary and real. If you have somebody supportive who can just listen and tell you it’s ok my daughter finds this helpful.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Have you tackled or addressed the underlying stuff that’s making you feel upset and anxious as I think that will really help too? Lots of love x

• Heart
Well done for contacting your gp, intrusive thoughts are so common!! They can be very damaging, I’ve worked with patients who’ve had intrusive harmful thoughts of a violent/sexual nature, which as you can imagine can be very distressing, especially when the thoughts relate to family 🙏

Contacting Samaritans etc can be quite helpful if you’re in crisis, certain antidepressants can be more helpful with anxious thoughts e.g citalopram, so if the 50mg isn’t helping after a few weeks definitely go back to your gp! Don’t worry about being on diazepam, your gp has prescribed this for a reason, so it’s typically a small dose for a short period of time 🙂

Vivid dreams can be common too when people are feeling stressed/anxious. With lockdown etc I think visual dreams and intrusive thoughts are becoming more common! Both can be extremely distressing, rationalising your thoughts when you experience the thoughts can help “turn them on their head”. For example if you have an intrusive thought about hurting someone close to you, try and remind yourself “my brain is reacting to the physiological stress by playing tricks, this is only a thought, I am kind and empathetic, I would never hurt anyone close to me”. Easier said than done but with practice rationalisation can be very helpful 🙏

Well done for contacting your gp, intrusive thoughts are so common!! They can be very damaging, I’ve worked with patients who’ve had intrusive harmful thoughts of a violent/sexual nature, which as you can imagine can be very distressing, especially when the thoughts relate to family 🙏

Contacting Samaritans etc can be quite helpful if you’re in crisis, certain antidepressants can be more helpful with anxious thoughts e.g citalopram, so if the 50mg isn’t helping after a few weeks definitely go back to your gp! Don’t worry about being on diazepam, your gp has prescribed this for a reason, so it’s typically a small dose for a short period of time 🙂

Vivid dreams can be common too when people are feeling stressed/anxious. With lockdown etc I think visual dreams and intrusive thoughts are becoming more common! Both can be extremely distressing, rationalising your thoughts when you experience the thoughts can help “turn them on their head”. For example if you have an intrusive thought about hurting someone close to you, try and remind yourself “my brain is reacting to the physiological stress by playing tricks, this is only a thought, I am kind and empathetic, I would never hurt anyone close to me”. Easier said than done but with practice rationalisation can be very helpful 🙏
thank you for taking the time to write this and reassuring me. I’m still feeling very scary and terrified but it does help Having people reply in a positive way. Which makes me think I must be a good person after all. Thank you everyone so much. I can’t wait to feel normal again. I’ve barely eaten or drank today

It’s not usually about family but other people and horrible horrible images and things like that things I’d never ever do in a million years I would help anyone I’ve always been generous an always give friends advice all the time and love an help

She’s only 16 so she’s not able to have anything like diazepam unfortunately but she does take 175mg of sertraline which has taken the edge off her problems. We mainly use distraction. So anything we can to distract her, going out, go for a drive, watch TV, bake, tidy. It doesn’t stop it happening it just takes her mind off it for a while. Sometimes she writes it down for me, to get it out of her own head. She uses the age appropriate help lines to talk to somebody. If it’s been really bad I’ve taken her to A&E if she’s felt very unsafe to be left alone with her thoughts. As horrible as the thoughts are we find talking them thru almost makes them seem less scary and real. If you have somebody supportive who can just listen and tell you it’s ok my daughter finds this helpful.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Have you tackled or addressed the underlying stuff that’s making you feel upset and anxious as I think that will really help too? Lots of love x
Okay Thankyou it helps just to know it’s more ‘normal’ than I thought. I was really worried that these thoughts meant I was some kind of freak and bad. But all my actions are kind and loving. Okay I’m in a mood and snappy sometimes but I usually feel guilty after. I wish ur daughter well xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Don’t worry about being on diazepam, your gp has prescribed this for a reason, so it’s typically a small dose for a short period of time 🙂
Yes, just use it when you realllllllyyy need it. In crisis when you’re literally tearing your hair out. My doctor will only prescribe a small amount very infrequently so unless you were going to a drug dealer you simply can’t become addicted xx

I've had intrusive thoughts since I was a teenager. They're not a reflection on you. What helped was just accepting that they were just thoughts. The more I tried to block them the harder they would appear and often when I was already feeling bad.

Therapy really helped. Could that be an option? My therapist saw me at a lower rate and a lot of them do offer sliding scales.