Mason’s Cavies Inspirational or Cruel?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So after my last post, in the interest of being fair, seems the other 'rescues' aren't registered with charities commission either. Not sure how it works but humour me that they should also be paying tax on any monetary gains then?

Reactions: 1
So after my last post, in the interest of being fair, seems the other 'rescues' aren't registered with charities commission either. Not sure how it works but humour me that they should also be paying tax on any monetary gains then?
You don’t have to be registered as a charity if you’re a rescue. Therefore you don’t have to declare donations I believe. However, if you are a registered charity you have to provide proof of how and where money is being spent to retain your charity status. The majority of rescues ask for donations in the form of bedding or feed etc. Any money sent can be used as they see fit.

But MC claim to be a business so she will have to pay tax on any money earned. Whether she is registered as a business or self employed, she is liable to pay tax.

I’m not too clued up on this area but from my understanding what I’ve said is correct.

Reactions: 1
You don’t have to be registered as a charity if you’re a rescue. Therefore you don’t have to declare donations I believe. However, if you are a registered charity you have to provide proof of how and where money is being spent to retain your charity status. The majority of rescues ask for donations in the form of bedding or feed etc. Any money sent can be used as they see fit.

But MC claim to be a business so she will have to pay tax on any money earned. Whether she is registered as a business or self employed, she is liable to pay tax.

I’m not too clued up on this area but from my understanding what I’ve said is correct.
If she is self employed she can earn as much as she likes and will submit annual tax returns and pay tax based from that. The general public will have no visability and there is no max earning or criteria where you have to change from one to the other. So if she is self employed the general public would never know except for the off chance she was reported then said she had a stonking tax bill suddenly.

Even charities not earning the threshold should still be auditing their accounts and I believe you can register with hmrc and receive tax relief on certain things - seems suspect to me that with benefits such as tax relief no one seems to be registering

If she is self employed she can earn as much as she likes and will submit annual tax returns and pay tax based from that. The general public will have no visability and there is no max earning or criteria where you have to change from one to the other. So if she is self employed the general public would never know except for the off chance she was reported then said she had a stonking tax bill suddenly.

Even charities not earning the threshold should still be auditing their accounts and I believe you can register with hmrc and receive tax relief on certain things - seems suspect to me that with benefits such as tax relief no one seems to be registering
I believe there are a lot of hoops to jump through to become a registered charity. As a lot of rescues operate separately to their owners full time jobs I imagine it simply isn’t worth it. But as I said, that side of things I’m not to clued up on.

I believe there are a lot of hoops to jump through to become a registered charity. As a lot of rescues operate separately to their owners full time jobs I imagine it simply isn’t worth it. But as I said, that side of things I’m not to clued up on.
There are hoops yes but you have to take around 10k before forced into it. But the non registered should still follow the same process's and procedures by law even if they don't require registering with charities commission