Manchester Scene 90/Early 00

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
💜

Raise a hand if you got frequently and embarrassingly lost in Affleck’s Palace!

Spent soooo many long, happily drunk nights in Jillys/Rockworld with my uni flatmates, I wasn’t particularly “goth”, just went with them once and it was such a nice vibe, everyone just seemed to want everyone to be having fun!

Also spent several ill-advised nights queuing to get into Loaf on Deansgate with my pretentious 2nd year flatmate who I think was doing a degree in trying to shag minor soap stars? (No shade, fair play etc but god she was annoying 😆)

I haven’t lived in Manchester for 15 years but I still miss it!

Reactions: 11
Hurrah I’m here for this 😃
The stories many of us remember from these days.

💜

Spent soooo many long, happily drunk nights in Jillys/Rockworld with my uni flatmates, I wasn’t particularly “goth”, just went with them once and it was such a nice vibe, everyone just seemed to want everyone to be having fun!

Also spent several ill-advised nights queuing to get into Loaf on Deansgate with my pretentious 2nd year flatmate who I think was doing a degree in trying to shag minor soap stars? (No shade, fair play etc but god she was annoying 😆)

I think you lived with my old flag mate - maybe she was a ringer 😂 never seen someone get so excited & painfully desperate when around minor soap stars - I mean, she shagged the lad from HOLLYOAKS who had that 3 wheeler car, he’s from Stockport.

Jillys - yes, it was a mix of rock, emo, goth, skateboarders, next door to Elemental.

I moved away about 5 years ago.

Reactions: 2
💜

I spent every Saturday morning in Afflecks - now my 15 year old daughter does the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My funniest memory is Ryan Giggs trying to buy me drinks in one of the bars on Deansgate locks…I was on a date at the time.

One of the absolute worst people I encountered on a night out was Anthony Cotton from Corrie. We were in Cruz in the village at like 3 in the morning off our faces and he was strutting around with his hood up and sunglasses on. If people danced near him, he would tell them to move away from him…a fair few people told him to duck off that night 😂 Absolute bleep of a man.

Kym Marsh on the other hand is an absolute legend on a night out.

It’s… it’s a… a what? 😩
Years of drunken/class A memories are now buried under a Tesco Express.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
It’s… it’s a… a what? 😩
It's been that for years now. I used to work near there and refused to ever get lunch from there on principle! I'd walk a bit further and go to the Sainsburys by Oxford Rd station!

94/95 ish, I was 18/19 I used to go to Piccadilly 21's. Jesus, what an absolute tit hole that was! But I grew up in Bolton, and going to Manchester was a big thing. Compared to the places in Bolton it was amazing!

And then the night bus home. We used to call it the vomit bus :sick:

Edit: I've lived in south Manchester since 2006 when I met my now husband. I'm far too old and boring for town now. Only ever go for meals out.

It's been that for years now. I used to work near there and refused to ever get lunch from there on principle! I'd walk a bit further and go to the Sainsburys by Oxford Rd station!

94/95 ish, I was 18/19 I used to go to Piccadilly 21's. Jesus, what an absolute tit hole that was! But I grew up in Bolton, and going to Manchester was a big thing. Compared to the places in Bolton it was amazing!

And then the night bus home. We used to call it the vomit bus :sick:

Edit: I've lived in south Manchester since 2006 when I met my now husband. I'm far too old and boring for town now. Only ever go for meals out.
That reminds me of the 192 night bus home - an experience!!!!

Reactions: 5
Did anyone else use the illegal taxis, it was always black guys and we just use to flag them down and jump in,usually two guys in the front seat, we would tell them where we wanted to go and it would be a couple of quid,
just thinking about it now makes me wonder along with all the other shenanigans I got up to why I’m still alive 😳🤷‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Did anyone else use the illegal taxis, it was always black guys and we just use to flag them down and jump in,usually two guys in the front seat, we would tell them where we wanted to go and it would be a couple of quid,
just thinking about it now makes me wonder along with all the other shenanigans I got up to why I’m still alive 😳🤷‍♀️
I never used those but me and my mate once got a lift in a bin wagon from outside the palace theatre down to the curry mile 😂😂

• Haha
Monday nights at the Ritz - £1 including a bottle of lager roll in at 2an and still be at college for 9 on the Tuesday 😃

Love the thread already.
I had a bit of an accident yesterday (I’m fine) but this has taken ages to type.

Back when I can type properly. Have a great wend everyone.

• Heart
Wow what a great idea for a thread! I was in my teens/20’s in the 90’s and live 20 miles outside Manchester so it was a big deal to go out round there! We went to Royales for my 21st😂 my sister went to uni there so we spent some ace weekends there and who remembers Brutus Gold’s Love Train mid week at Royales??? It was bleeping AMAZING❤

I still like to go out there but usually Spinningfields/NQ these days, no more clubs though I don’t know where you would go these days! I avoid places I used to love these days, like Deansgate Locks and the Printworks 😂

Reactions: 5
Manchester was and still is the best place to live. You’ve got everything you need in a nice compact city centre. I live a few miles out in Chorlton and I’d never want to be anywhere else.

• Heart
Manchester was and still is the best place to live. You’ve got everything you need in a nice compact city centre. I live a few miles out in Chorlton and I’d never want to be anywhere else.
Chorlton is lovely! You’re v lucky x

• Heart