Mamamia #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How terrible must one be at writing and how utterly disrespectful to spell a deceased woman’s name incorrectly in an article about her death. No idea if it’s Ashley or Ashely since they keep going between both spellings.

Perhaps it is the latter which is not the typical spelling, but not that hard to confirm a spelling and just stick to it. And if it is just Ashley then wtf is that repeated typo. For shame.

• Angry
Reactions: 13
I would love to see their financials. I just don't get how Mamamia is still in business. The product is bad (podcasts, articles etc). Is it all brand partnerships and advertising? How much of a return are the advertisers actually seeing I wonder?

I would love to see their financials. I just don't get how Mamamia is still in business. The product is bad (podcasts, articles etc). Is it all brand partnerships and advertising? How much of a return are the advertisers actually seeing I wonder?
Their podcasts actually do quite well and are usually in the top 10 charts. I think the standard of the podcasts he dropped dramatically in the last 2 years (or more) but they do seem to be popular. The website is an odd one, I can’t see how it would be making enough money for a full news team. I would say it’s working at a loss. That’s why they have a fitness app now, to make up for lost revenue on the site.
---
And here are some of the salaries they are paying. Being a writer for MM pays very poorly. All the other roles seem to be on the low side of salary ranges expected for those roles. Sales roles seem to be ok which tells you a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Their podcasts actually do quite well and are usually in the top 10 charts. I think the standard of the podcasts he dropped dramatically in the last 2 years (or more) but they do seem to be popular. The website is an odd one, I can’t see how it would be making enough money for a full news team. I would say it’s working at a loss. That’s why they have a fitness app now, to make up for lost revenue on the site.
---
And here are some of the salaries they are paying. Being a writer for MM pays very poorly. All the other roles seem to be on the low side of salary ranges expected for those roles. Sales roles seem to be ok which tells you a lot.
Those salaries are criminal!
---
Even the diehard fangirls are losing patience. Prepare for comments to be deleted in 3,2,1…
Why in earth would MMOL be talking about Em Rata? ‘What women are talking about’… I cant think of the last time anyone I know mentioned her.

They talk about Em Rata ALL the time!

It would be one thing if they marketed themselves as a pop culture / fluff podcast eg Shameless. But they don’t! They can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: 18
---
Oh those salaries are awful!

Genuinely bewildered as to how the podcasts are so popular haha.

Reactions: 11
They are seriously woeful salaries for a corporate. I know they’re not massive but they’re also not a NFP or local small business. They have 100+ employees and claim to reach 7million women. I’d be embrassed to be offering $126 for a head of people and culture - we pay our social media manager more than that and frankly, our role is probably less complex and far less public! For those salaries you get either very inexperienced or not great!

Reactions: 16
They are seriously woeful salaries for a corporate. I know they’re not massive but they’re also not a NFP or local small business. They have 100+ employees and claim to reach 7million women. I’d be embrassed to be offering $126 for a head of people and culture - we pay our social media manager more than that and frankly, our role is probably less complex and far less public! For those salaries you get either very inexperienced or not great!
Well I mean .... Have you seen the quality of writing and editing at Mamamia 🙃 There is a lot of not so great at that company

Unfortunately the woeful state of salaries for editorial staff in “women’s media” is not just a problem at MM.
It’s a legacy of the “glory days” where young women would have sold their soul and worked for peanuts, to get in the door of Cosmo, Cleo etc.

Now, the salaries are still utter shite, and no one is applying for roles. Wonder why…

Reactions: 12
Unfortunately the woeful state of salaries for editorial staff in “women’s media” is not just a problem at MM.
It’s a legacy of the “glory days” where young women would have sold their soul and worked for peanuts, to get in the door of Cosmo, Cleo etc.

Now, the salaries are still utter shite, and no one is applying for roles. Wonder why…
And of course feminist Mia has no intention of changing that so she's essentially exploiting women just like everyone else.

Reactions: 15

I have had recruitment agencies reach out to me via LinkedIn in regards to podcast producer roles at Mamamia (I work in radio).

The fact they always appear to be hiring for them is a major red flag for me and I imagine the rest of the industry.

Reactions: 20
I have had recruitment agencies reach out to me via LinkedIn in regards to podcast producer roles at Mamamia (I work in radio).

The fact they always appear to be hiring for them is a major red flag for me and I imagine the rest of the industry.
What is the reputation of them by the industry? I think Mamamia only manages to survive via the tiny incy bit of “celebrity” Mia has clung unto. Without her name it would have gone under 5 years ago

Reactions: 11
What is the reputation of them by the industry? I think Mamamia only manages to survive via the tiny incy bit of “celebrity” Mia has clung unto. Without her name it would have gone under 5 years ago
Not fabulous. To be honest most of the talk I heard was when I was younger and a few fellow graduates ended up writing there. Was well known that it was basically a sweat shop and pay was really average. But they were young and wanted to hone their skills, so I think that was the payoff.

As for industry wide, they generally aren’t taken too seriously. They certainly aren’t viewed as real journalists by most mastheads and media outlets. I think that probably contributes to people like Elfy skipping out before they become too associated with the brand.

Solid work, Mamamia..I thought I'd read this exact article somewhere over the New Year's break. a sad day when you're ripping off DM 👏 (who probably ripped it off someone else)
Do we ‘need to talk about’ this? Along with all the other things we need to talk about, except Palestine.

Reactions: 21