Make people give ID to open a social media account petition

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think this has a thread so probably good to have this in one place. But Katie prices campaign is so ridiculous and keeps getting shared by the bandwagon jumpers that care not one bit about racism or anyone else, they just want to silence any criticism of them.

I'm totally against trolling someone, thats the whole point of tattle - people can comment away from their feeds where it's easy to avoid.

But if you spend 10 seconds thinking about it you see how ridiculous this campaign is - social media companies are all about data mining so handing them over more information is a dream come true.

Also the little people can easily be threatened by those in a position of power and influence. Even if someone is in the right someone with money can still crush them if they want to as us mere mortals/ non celebs don't have the resources to fight back an abuse of power claim.

Change is needed on some of the platforms, but it's beyond ridiculous that Katie price and other influencers are trying to dictate how the government and big tech should operate šŸ˜. Stick to selling the fake eyelashes Katie!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I do think there needs to be more control/ramifications for the racists, homophobes, people tweeting death threats from an egg shaped avatar, but Iā€™m not sure giving more of your personal data to these big ass corporation is the right way to do it. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 10
May be a good thing as all the Insta begs will lose followers. All the bots/fake accounts will be a thing of the past šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I think it's a bit Ironic when Katie's current boyfriend trolls and also threatens people. Bit like she does to females who contact him.

Reactions: 10
I find this odd.

I know (and have been one of them) people who are contractually not allowed to have social media sites that are linked to their real name. One of the ones that didnā€™t allow it for me about 10 years ago didnā€™t even have a website šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø.

I can understand the signalling of the mainstream services claiming that they need everything you have to tick a box to say theyā€™ve covered everything but, Iā€™d be out.

Itā€™s not like they couldnā€™t already track my every move anyway if I wasnā€™t careful. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 3
May be a good thing as all the Insta begs will lose followers. All the bots/fake accounts will be a thing of the past šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Yes I think this. I think it is a stupid idea to have to provide ID to be on SM for numerous reasons. And it will not happen.
But in a way if it does these ones bleating about it will totally shoot themselves in the foot. I would guesstimate about three quarters of the population will not do it, (there will always be other avenues on the Internet for anonymous free speech) so revenue and views will drop massively.
It would be life changing for the biggest Insta scammers.
They hate anonymous people who critical, anonymous arse lickers are of course fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
If it came down to only using social media with ID I would come off those sites. It just sounds like anyone with a grudge could doxx you then. Also your data could be hacked and wow, there is your ID data. Do you think it would get that far?
Some influencers take any genuine criticism as hate so would fans be reported for genuine criticism?

Reactions: 9
they just want to silence any criticism of them.
This is it, itā€™s the usual suspects sharing it and none of the people whoā€™ve actually had vile and criminal racism written about them. Itā€™s the wrong approach, in the same way they flag references to covid they need to get mute racist terms. I donā€™t know why they donā€™t have a dedicated moderation team for high profile / high risk events such as football matches, their manual deletions would help shape the machine learning algo that may not have picked up everything?

This intersects with the anti tattle piece I suppose. The thing is, I would happily provide my ID and it wouldnā€™t change anything I write here cos nothing is illegal? Itā€™s discussion / comment. Youā€™ve got YouTubers making series spilling far worse tea than me commenting on Jack Monroeā€™s patreon numbers. It also excludes poor and marginalised communities who are less likely to have ID, but who needs critical thinking when youā€™ve got a shareable Insta slide šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 7
Someone I follow made a very interesting post about this yesterday, how some people are anonymous online for a legitimate reason e.g domestic abuse, witness protection, work related reason and to make it a legal requirement to provide ID for social media makes it a lot riskier for them to have any online presence.
I mean, yes what some people say online in terms of death threats/racism/sexism/homophobic content is disgusting and should be stopped but when you have companies like instagram saying posting emojis like monkeys and watermelon on pictures of certain England team members is absolutely fine and not breaking the rules, then what hope do you have? Why put the onus on the users when it should be them that come down stricter and actually implement things that are legitimately useful in tackling the above.

Also how many times have social media websites been hacked and had data stolen? This is a criminal's wet dream. Hack facebook and get ID and information that makes Identity Fraud a hell of a lot easier.

Reactions: 11
Someone I follow made a very interesting post about this yesterday, how some people are anonymous online for a legitimate reason e.g domestic abuse, witness protection, work related reason and to make it a legal requirement to provide ID for social media makes it a lot riskier for them to have any online presence.
I mean, yes what some people say online in terms of death threats/racism/sexism/homophobic content is disgusting and should be stopped but when you have companies like instagram saying posting emojis like monkeys and watermelon on pictures of certain England team members is absolutely fine and not breaking the rules, then what hope do you have? Why put the onus on the users when it should be them that come down stricter and actually implement things that are legitimately useful in tackling the above.

Also how many times have social media websites been hacked and had data stolen? This is a criminal's wet dream. Hack facebook and get ID and information that makes Identity Fraud a hell of a lot easier.
Agreed.

I think it would be hard for government to police as there would have to be international collaboration and also with the platforms. Also, if UK government can mess up a Track and Trace app then I don't think they could manage this either, but if it came to it I would rather come off social media full stop than provide ID data that can be hacked.

Reactions: 5
I donā€™t think it would be easy to implement. I wouldnā€™t want to do it myself for fear that it would be linked to everything Iā€™ve ever done on social media, even all the embarrassing stuff I did as a child, or potentially being hacked. You hear now, about people getting sacked for racist tweets they posted years back, I understand why but I think this takes it a level further.

I do think trolling and online abuse needs to be regulated better by social media sites - I canā€™t count how many times Iā€™ve reported something on instagram and itā€™s been allowed to stay because a bot/algorithm has decided itā€™s fine and it hasnā€™t been glanced at by a human being. I just think saying ā€˜oh weā€™ll make our users upload an IDā€™ is the easy way out for social media sites, rather than actively dealing with it.

Then again, I do think it can be hard to define trolling, itā€™s so subjective, and that muddies the water a bit. I mean I know the other night the England players got sent monkey emojis, thatā€™s clearly racially motivated trolling and needs to be dealt with harshly, but you have the people who stampede in here and say what we do on tattle is trolling just because we said things they may not like hearing. And all the SM sites just donā€™t want to deal with that. So this is the ā€˜easy optionā€™.

sorry for the essay lol :)

Reactions: 9
When I first read about the existence of the petition my first thought was that this was a somewhat easy way to report your comments to your employer. Iā€™ve seen several people say that they have been tagging peopleā€™s employers in racist tweets their employees have made which is fair enough to a certain extent, but it's really not that hard to see that going south very quickly. I say something someone doesn't like and oop, my employer (or whoever) is going to hear about it! ... I mean, if we're being super extreme I could see employers paying more attention to what happens with their employees online than they seem to do now. Atm the only advice to avoid any potential problems is to keep your social media profiles private and clean and use anonymous usernames on other sites so they're not 'traced' back to you. Assuming we need ID for most sites, including the ones where we may want to be more anonymous (Twitter comes to mind here)... that lowkey sounds disastrous.

You're also just giving that information to potential abusers. Apparently Tinder gives a notification to LGBT people in certain countries that there have been incidents of abuse stemming from use of real names (or something of the like, I only read this is passing)

Basically, since general algorithms are awful at reacting to some abusive behaviour from users, or the rules themselves allow for easy loopholes, I could see a huge vigilante movement growing online where people take it into their own hands to 'punish' someone

Reactions: 4
When I first read about the existence of the petition my first thought was that this was a somewhat easy way to report your comments to your employer. Iā€™ve seen several people say that they have been tagging peopleā€™s employers in racist tweets their employees have made which is fair enough to a certain extent, but it's really not that hard to see that going south very quickly. I say something someone doesn't like and oop, my employer (or whoever) is going to hear about it! ... I mean, if we're being super extreme I could see employers paying more attention to what happens with their employees online than they seem to do now. Atm the only advice to avoid any potential problems is to keep your social media profiles private and clean and use anonymous usernames on other sites so they're not 'traced' back to you. Assuming we need ID for most sites, including the ones where we may want to be more anonymous (Twitter comes to mind here)... that lowkey sounds disastrous.

You're also just giving that information to potential abusers. Apparently Tinder gives a notification to LGBT people in certain countries that there have been incidents of abuse stemming from use of real names (or something of the like, I only read this is passing)

Basically, since general algorithms are awful at reacting to some abusive behaviour from users, or the rules themselves allow for easy loopholes, I could see a huge vigilante movement growing online where people take it into their own hands to 'punish' someone
Yes you put it so much more succinctly than I did!

Reactions: 1
If this does become law, surely it'll be the end of twitter and quite a lot of other sites. Its bullshit and Katie Price is living with an oaf who regularly abuses followers online.

Reactions: 3
They are shooting themselves in the foot, as the majority of people wouldn't do it, and they'd only have a tiny amount of people to merch stuff to and get the constant attention that all crave and cannot live without.

Reactions: 5
I think this has been mentioned but when this was raised a good while ago, teachers, abuse and stalker victims etc shared what issues that brings.

Some people cannot display their own names and details for real reasons and to stop them being able to join SM because of some is not fair. There must be a way to track these people down via IP/location/devises surely.

There must be a way to track these people down via IP/location/devises surely.
This is a bit of a myth perpetuated by influencers threatening to ā€œget youā€ if you dare say anything negative about their lifestyle lol. Thereā€™s absolutely no correlation to IP and location, same with a device ID. The police can do smart things with telecoms networks but thatā€™s it afaik?

Broader and unrelated to above six - I had assumed that youā€™d just need to verify yourself with the SM network but youā€™d still be able to have an anonymised username like badgalriri if you wanted. I assume itā€™s more so the platform can share your details with the police rather than people inflicting mob justice, but again the issue is platforms arenā€™t doing any form of moderation so placing a larger burden upon them will just give them a few more years of excuses not to do anything!

SM companies wonā€™t want this at all, as others have pointed out bots particularly falsely inflate their active user count (which feeds into their valuations lol) and overstates influencersā€™ followings, and we all know how much cash they make out of that and selling ad content against their content. Itā€™ll wipe out that plus passive users and tbh I think itā€™d force jaded users (like most of us!) to consider is it truly worth the time & now effort to waste time being advertised to? Itā€™ll be a killer.

Yet again, how do these muppets expect UK laws to make any difference whatsoever to what goes on in the rest of the world? Make all the rules you like about setting up accounts in the UK, people will just use a VPN to set up their account in Ukraine instead :rolleyes: