Lucy Letby Case #71

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was baby k originally a murder charge and they decided to drop it to attempted murder?
I might be getting confused but I remember that case as very weak tbh. She only weighed a bag of sugar and was very very premature (23 weeks) and died only 3 days after birth in a different hospital. Dr Ravi J only seen LL at the cot and nothing else? Apart from that what was there?

Reactions: 1
The one thing I’ll never get my head round with this trial is that nearly every single child died in almost identical circumstances, with her either on shift or just finished, yet they found her guilty for some and not guilty for others. It just baffles my mind

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Was baby k originally a murder charge and they decided to drop it to attempted murder?
I might be getting confused but I remember that case as very weak tbh. She only weighed a bag of sugar and was very very premature (23 weeks) and died only 3 days after birth in a different hospital. Dr Ravi J only seen LL at the cot and nothing else? Apart from that what was there?
Yes they did. I think it's because her cause of death (RDS + severe prematurity) and what Letby's accused of doing (dislodging her tube) don't link well, so they can only charge for attempted murder.

Story is that Dr Ravi says he saw her at the cot, with the baby's breathing tube partially out, and Letby was watching the monitor with dropping sats and not doing anything and the sats alarm had been silenced. Baby K was sedated and a very inactive severely prem baby, so according to experts unlikely to be able to dislodge that tube herself. There was then a second later event of the same type with Letby placing herself in the room and looking after Baby K by documenting a nursing note for her on that room's computer, while the tube mysteriously dislodged again.

The strength of the case depends on the confidence the jury has in Dr Ravi's account and the expert witnesses accounts of whether Baby K is likely to dislodge her own tube, basically. If you believe them, it's probably a guilty verdict.

Reactions: 17
Baby K got moved to Arrowe Park after the incident and died there a few days later, I think that’s why they dropped the murder charge to attempted murder as a few days had passed and there were other complications as she was so tiny.

The incident was also within minutes of the designated nurse going on her break. Lucy was not the designated nurse. A similar pattern to other babies she harmed.

Reactions: 13
The one thing I’ll never get my head round with this trial is that nearly every single child died in almost identical circumstances, with her either on shift or just finished, yet they found her guilty for some and not guilty for others. It just baffles my mind
Same. If they are finding her guilty on the others and she is going down for life, just find her guilty of the others and give the families some sort of closure.

Reactions: 13
I thought baby K was one of the strongest cases tbh. You have a witness in Dr Jayaram for starters - he walked in on her and caught her red handed. She also didn’t deny it happened if I remember correctly. Also they had found her guilty of murder on multiple babies so it’s also looking at it in the context of knowing she was a killer. Which the jury were allowed to do.
I thought it was one of the strongest too. And it was really powerful when BNE stopped the court for 20 seconds to show how long it is. (for those that don't know, Dr Jayaram watched LL standing over a distressed baby K doing nothing for 20 seconds whilst an alarm sounded).

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Did she attend this hearing thing? Or was it just her legal team?
It was reported on tv news report she had a live video link in.

How are they ever going to get a jury to sit for baby K’s retrial that hasn’t heard of her or past crimes, or can be neutral.

Reactions: 1