Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Lucie is one of those girls that brags about having more guy friends because girls always hate her,
Hey guys pick me I’m not like the average girl I’m so cool such a surferrrrrr.

get in the fucking sea 👋🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 58
I’m no fan of Lucie, but Yewande and all her sheep need to go get a life. This all happened 2 years ago and here they are now all ganging up and joining the bandwagon in an attempt to remain relevant. I think Anna and amber came across really poorly on the show, very aggressive and patronising. I agree that Lucie was wrong here but really bore off now at this stage!
Lucie was the one who brought this up again by calling Yewande a bully? She has the right to defend herself. Good on the other girls for doing the right thing and backing up Yewande's experience with this racist.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Lucie is not a girls girl at all. She came across as boring in the villa and her comments to yewande and being lazy to pronounce her name or acknowledge her are rude.

I’ve actually met Yewande several times and she is one of the sweetest individuals ever.

Reactions: 42

Sammmmyb45x

would love to share with you all that it has taken me two years to realise that Lucie was in my class at sixth form

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Her name is not even that hard to prounouce either - it’s just Lucie is too thick to be able to work it out.
Lucie is just bad vibes. She is the type of girl I wouldn’t want to be friends with as she’ll try it with your boyfriend even after he says no! Remember when she wore the same bikini and did her hair the same as molly in the villa. Such a weird gal!

I also want to add I’ve met a lot of the LI lot including Joanna and Fran and everytime Yewande was the sweetest and friendliest.

• Wow
Reactions: 38

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
Luke & Lucie look like brother and sister

And someone needed to tell Luke on his season that looking like Justin Bieber isn't a personality trait. He didn't even look like him much 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 32

fauxfreckle

Chatty Member

Guys yewande released a statement. I found it really sad, the fact that one of the producers felt sorry for yewande because of Lucie and she had the audacity to flip the script onto her?? I personally am African too, my mum gave me a common/easy ‘British’ name because she ‘wanted life to be easy for me’. It’s now hit me why exactly she did that. Really glad yewande opened up about this and even more annoyed that lucie can’t be bothered to apologise!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31

moreblushpls

I’m no fan of Lucie, but Yewande and all her sheep need to go get a life. This all happened 2 years ago and here they are now all ganging up and joining the bandwagon in an attempt to remain relevant. I think Anna and amber came across really poorly on the show, very aggressive and patronising. I agree that Lucie was wrong here but really bore off now at this stage!
no one is ganging up on anyone, she chose to bring it up after years by replying to someone's comment saying she bullied her. she didnt have to say that because it was unwarranted. she deserves to be called out and Yewande has a right to defend herself.

• Heart

Lilliepad

VIP Member
I have an Irish name that NOONE can pronounce at all, so on all social media’s and when I write it down I spell it how it is pronounced, in the English way. I’ve worked in places before and they give me (unwanted) short nicknames, not bothered to even ask about where my name is from etc.. I’m white so many can assume I’m English. I know this the case for many living in the U.K. with non English names!

Never thought of it as racism, just thought people were being thick and annoying ...
It’s not racism, but it is xenophobic and lazy. Your Irish name is a proud symbol of your heritage and people should respect that.

This is exactly what I've been saying since this all kicked off. Irish boys & girls have for years have had there names mis pronounced fact is its just human error no one sets out thinking right I'm going to mis say her/his name on purpose to make myself look thick & disrespect their Irish heritage. Its like I said easily done & has been happening for years. Difference is nowadays this generation are only waiting for anyone to say or look the wrong way & bang they making a big drama to stay relevant. I think here its a case of Yewande, Anna & Amber have been gunning for Lucie from day 1 when she wouldn't hang with them & lick there arses. There now not in the headlines as much as Lucie Molly & Maura so see this as the perfect time to play the victim again. With so much going on right now in the world & not coming out & putting it to rest instead letting a young girl receive death threats over it is wrong

Sorry, highly disagree. If someone has corrected you over and over, and you respond ‘whatever’ that is dismissive and a micro aggression. You’ve basically said that you don’t care to bother to pronounce their name because it’s different to your culture and it matters less.

Irish, Nigerian, Polish, whatever. People should 100% make the effort to appreciate and accept differences and her name is too easy to pronounce to claim it’s a minor mistake - it’s not as if it’s using letters not used in the English language 🙄

And actually, she did put it to bed, with that eloquent response. She was entitled to defend herself from being called a ‘bully’. Don’t forget this all stems from Lucie who was like I don’t have girl friends cause they’re drama and yet went to try and cause drama with Tommy herself.

fwooper

VIP Member

Guys yewande released a statement. I found it really sad, the fact that one of the producers felt sorry for yewande because of Lucie and she had the audacity to flip the script onto her?? I personally am African too, my mum gave me a common/easy ‘British’ name because she ‘wanted life to be easy for me’. It’s now hit me why exactly she did that. Really glad yewande opened up about this and even more annoyed that lucie can’t be bothered to apologise!
This is a great statement, and I hope every dense moron who has pretended that this behaviour doesn't have a racist element to it reads and educates themselves. Another thing to think about: if this behaviour didn't have a racist element to it, why wasn't it aired? Love Island loves any kind of drama, and Lucie not pronouncing Yewande's name right seems like the kind of petty drama they would normally air. So the fact that the producers chose not to include any of this shows that they knew this behaviour was not the kind of thing they could air without controversy - i.e. they knew it came across as racist.

This also sheds a lot more light on the situation - this was not an isolated incident of calling her "Y". Her refusal to call her by her actual name was going on for weeks.

Reactions: 30

Crumpet41

VIP Member
Anyone else seen the tea going in between Lucie/Yewande/Amy Hart & Amber on Twitter? Apparantly Lucie bullied Yewande when she was on LI

Going to look at IG now.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha

PurplePie

Chatty Member
She didn’t count to Maura. Racism in Ireland from what I hear is rampant. I worked with an Irish girl and she didn’t acknowledge me at all.

She also invited everyone to her wedding in Ireland beside me and another black male colleague.
I just want to say that your Irish colleague doesn't represent all Irish people and I'm sorry you had that experience. I'm Irish and I lived in the UK and US for a while after college. I can't even count the amount of offensive comments made towards me regarding my accent, my Irish name which they couldn't pronounce and would also give me an anglicised nickname to make their lives easier, ignorant comments about the famine (genocide actually), regularly saying the word "potatoe!!" to me in a mock and exaggerated accent, asking me to say the number 3 and then laugh at how I pronounced it, calling me a Paddy (even though I'm a women), comments about how pale and freckly I was, very regular remarks about loving alcohol and very offensive comments about Northern Ireland. Some of these comments came from people I lived with, worked with, met on nights out and mostly from people I considered friends? A lot of the time I don't think they even realised how rude and offensive they were being. I consider examples like this to be "soft" forms of racism or maybe micro aggressions as others may say. It's still hurtful and makes you feel very aware that you're an outsider. Maybe people will disagree with me and say it's not racism but that's how it felt on the receiving side of it.

There are racist and ignorant people in every country and I'm glad Yewande's very eloquent post is raising awareness about this. It's not hard to learn how to correctly pronounce someone's name and failure to do so is very demeaning.

In a way I wish the show would have aired this when it happened because it's worth raising awareness about but as someone said above maybe they didn't want to show Lucie in a bad light? So many different people from different cultures and ethnicities can relate to Yewande's experiences. It's a pity she felt she had to be very careful in her response in case she was labelled as an angry black women. Which is a disgusting archetype and trope assholes like to pedal.

• Heart
  • Wow