Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MrsPiggleWiggle

Chatty Member
I think Charlene is conceited.

She's had a private education and that's provided her with opportunities most people - even white people - could only dream of. She's been incredibly fortunate.

She used to have a shiny straight bob. She only started with the afro when it became the fashion.

But instead of acknowledging her background, she has to talk about the black experience. But her black experience isn't an authentic one, whereas Brenda and Judi's is.

So, she doesn't talk about her own personal experiences. Instead, she talks in rhetoric and hyperbole. She lectures based on what she perceives is the way black people think and feel.

She can't reconcile that she's had a much easier life than some of the white panellists, and so we're left with an inauthentic, patronising and defensive attitude.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I can't help but feel that Frankie was brought in as a Stacey substitute. I'd rather have Frankie than Stacey though.

Reactions: 24

Turmeric123

VIP Member
I hate how Stacey plays the innocent gullible little girl on insta and can barely string sentence together yet can be very articulate on the show
Will the real Stace please stand up

• Heart
Reactions: 22

House of Tea

VIP Member
What is Charlene’s issue?

Is she trying to be controversial?
No, she sees herself as being in a place where she can make a difference. She is a high profile, successful black woman. A woman of authority, she reads the national news, she’s a journalist with a big CV, and now she is on a national chat format show, albeit it’s lightweight with the occasion forays into meatier subjects. She sees this as her platform to highlight issues important the black community. And she is right to take that opportunity - others talk about issues that are close to them after all. Denise with her mental health advice and issues, JSP often highlights the plight of the elderly (as does Gloria), Katie Piper is an advocate for people who have faced trauma etc. Some of them have nothing to highlight, they are just there for the £3K appearance fee and don’t contribute much (Linda essentially). However the condescending manner is a complete turn off. Even if you agree with her, the way she says it makes you disengage from what she is saying, and concentrate on the way it is delivered. So home goal scored there Charlene. She is not the right fit for the show. She is as stiff as a broom, with hard bristles at that.

Reactions: 22

bunsofsteel

Chatty Member
I really dislike Charlene. She acts so superior and agree, it's always 'as a black woman...as a black woman'. As if we can't see.

Reactions: 21

Howdy

VIP Member
I can't help but feel that Frankie was brought in as a Stacey substitute. I'd rather have Frankie than Stacey though.
Which is saying something :) Frankie's voice cuts through me but agree Stacey is worse with her gormless, fake concerned expressions she does.

Reactions: 19

Tallieban

I don’t like Charlene, she has to have her voice heard over anyone else and plays the race card every time she’s on the show.

Reactions: 19

House of Tea

VIP Member
I LOVE Sunextra, have done since Brookside! A few months ago, Charlene was giving it large about cultural appropriation and how white people shouldn‘t dress like black people, braid their hair etc. lovely sunetra pipes up “we love it when people embrace our culture and want to wear sari’s, we take it as a huge compliment“!
I saw that. The contrast couldn’t have been clearer.

I wonder what Charlene thinks of black women with straight blonde hair. Does she judge them with the same condescension? Do they get labeled as cultural thiefs?

Wear what you like. When you like. There are enough fucking rules in life without some random dictating what you can and can’t wear.

Reactions: 18

House of Tea

VIP Member
You can see the more articulate ones like Janet and Jane Moore biting their lips when Charlene starts her lecturing. She has changed the dynamic on the panel, but in an uncomfortable way.

Sunetra was on a programme with Sandi Tosvig this week. It is a programme where they visit amazing houses in different areas. Sunetra was this week’s guest. Sandi said she hadn’t met Sunetra before the programme but she was her new friend, a complete joy and you couldn’t stop smiling when you were around her. More Sunetra on the panel please.

• Heart

MakeDamnSure

VIP Member
The thing is, her points were valid. It is crazy that even in times of war black people are being discriminated against and not being given safe refuge and for Janet to pretend that it is common knowledge is nonsense as it is not being widely reported on. Charlene’s attitude however is rude and it doesn’t have the effect that she thinks it does. All it does is make people switch off. She makes it all about her and takes over and no one else can get a word in. Katie and Colleen didn’t even get a chance to give their opinion on it.

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
Does Andrea boring McLean want to come back in loose women?
Probably, she's had to sell her house for a basement non-start up!

No wonder Kellie was so tame in her response about will - she didn’t want to Shame the black guy.
I've tried to keep quiet on Kelle in that episode but I can't hold it in any longer. Kelle and Coleen both defended Will. I would have like to have known if they were in Jada's situation, would they have gotten their partners to smack the person on stage. It is starting to look like Chris Rock didn't know about Jada's medical condition and it makes me feel very sorry for him, being hit on stage but having to stay composed and professional, as he was hosting the show, I'd have been flipping my lid! Chris should get an award for his resilience despite what he faced, with no support from security of LAPD! Back to Loose Women, Kelle was very rude to Ruth when Ruth was explaining that the William & Kate tour pictures were taken from a fence as the fence was to keep the children safe, it was spur of the moment and W&K actually went to interact with the young fans instead of just waving from a distance. Kelle shut Ruth off then, saying it can be explained away in many ways, implying that W&K Of Cambridge were offensive and Ruth was making excuses for them. Kelle seemed very dissatisfied with the tour in general. She implied it should have been done differently but didn't actually say what the objective of the tour should be! What did she want from William and Kate? She did say that they should have apologised for the slave trade connected to the monarchy. I do think the monarchy owe an apology, yes. However W&K should apologise on behalf of the monarchy. They should not apologise personally or on any other basis, as they have never been found to be slave owners.i get the feeling Kelle wanted them to apologise for it because they are white and that is wrong and actually racist. W&K have never kept slaves, why should they make a *personal apology because of what their ancestors did? To reiterate,mthey should apologise on behalf of the monarchy but not apologise as the individual people they are. Kelle does not connect well with any of the Loose Women, she always seems very ditached. She also has a weird accent now she lives in Liverpool, which is strange, as she has only lived there three years and spent most of her adult life living in Essex & the home counties before that.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Beetle29

How lovely to see Kate Thornton on todays show she really seemed to bring some energy to the panel. It took me back to a time when the panelists did seem to genuinely have fun and there were real friendships among them.

• Heart

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I am all for following your dreams BUT, Andrea quit her comfortable and well paid job for to run a business that was then a hobby. She then discovered that it wasn't a ground breaking ureka product and has had to sell her lovely house in Ashtead and is probably eating heavily in to her savings. So many celebrities think their business ideas are unique or everyone will buy because their name is on it but they don't. Part of me wonders if Andrea's new hubby is secretly the account holder for the account she has put all of this money in to and isn't seeing any results from....

Reactions: 17

Ginlover92

I thought it interesting that one of the other ladies on the panel (I think Nadia) made a comment about watching the news and that it was important to do so as part of her job. Not sure if this was a pop at Linda or not!

There must be hundreds of other women who could have a seat in one of those chairs who does keep up with what is happening in the world and could take part in discussions better than Linda.

Last edited:

Renata

VIP Member
Charlene went into aggressive mode today. She had a valid point but the way she patronised janet (for not being black and therefore stupid) was unfortunate.

If anyone else behaved like this they would be cautioned yet she does it regularly. Her issue is that she thinks as a black woman her opinion is more valid than that of a white woman. Yes - it is a valid point of view but you cannot discount Janet pov because she is white “, otherwise why discuss it?

Her tone was lecturing, emotional and one sided. She shouldn’t anchor on race issues as she cannot take in other views.

Colleen looked uncomfortable and out of depth.

House of Tea

VIP Member
How awful for her. But how wonderful she is trying to turn a devastation into something good. She could have not mentioned it, but she is confronting it, dealing with it, and using it to educate and improve.

Reactions: 16

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
The problem with Kelle and Charlene is that they make things about race that actually aren't about race. It seems to be how they define themselves. As people, we are individuals with our own ambitions and acheivements and shouldn't be bound by our ethnicity. Judi and Brenda are strong black women, who are proud of their ethnicy and embrace it. They talk about their Afro-Caribbean culture and heritage which is good but they have more to bring to the table than just their race. They can discuss topics without making it about race. I am not denying that racism still exists, it exists against both black and white people and it is right to call it out. Jamelia spoke about it on Loose Women when she experienced prejudice and that was right. There are some, I'd say a small but significant minority of people who think everything that they experience is about their race. At work, I once had to ask a crowd of people to move away from a door. Everyone did except for one man. I asked him again to move away and he said to me that I was only asking him because he was black. I had not even noticed his skin colour up until he mentioned it, I just saw one person who was ignoring my request. I have also been told during a non-racial related argument by the person I was arguing with that I put them in to slavery! I have never owned a slave and I am pretty sure that they have never been a slave. Slavery was an awful thing and it is right that it is documented in history but we are all equal now and slavery is abolished. We can't move forward if we keep using the past in the present. I think it was very unfair of Charlene when she took a personal swipe at Jane, saying that Jane is ok with casual racism. Charlene as a journalist and News broadcaster should know not to make things personal at work. It's ok to disagree with Jane's opinion and argue about it but to take a personal swipe just spoils the programme.

• Heart
Reactions: 16