Long COVID

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else feel like they have this the more they hear about it?

I had COVID back in April, I wasn’t too badly ill just felt like I had the flu with a nasty cough and was completely devoid of energy with a fever, in fact, my toddler had it worse than I did (and they say kids can’t get it ...!). I’ve now had no taste of smell for around 8 months, I can only smell a sweet fishy scent for everything (literally everything). It’s so frustrating. This has now come to light as something called “parosmia”, which is now a recognised symptom of “long Covid”.

Since April I’ve been totally lacking any energy whatsoever, my chest feels continuously heavy and almost wheezy but not crazily so. I have continuous headaches, some days I could literally sleep all day if I could. The brain fog is unreal. This is all alongside this lack of taste and smell for months.

Does anyone have it or have similar symptoms since having COVID? Have you been to see a GP? Im worried that if I call up my GP they’ll consider me a time waster or fob me off but I’m genuinely concerned I have walking pneumonia or something.

Reactions: 2
I’ve not had Covid myself but if you’re feeling this rubbish and having these symptoms definitely talk to your GP!! You definitely wouldn’t be a time waster and if you do get fobbed off demand a second opinion. They could send you for blood tests and see what’s going on. Hope you’re ok.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone else feel like they have this the more they hear about it?

I had COVID back in April, I wasn’t too badly ill just felt like I had the flu with a nasty cough and was completely devoid of energy with a fever, in fact, my toddler had it worse than I did (and they say kids can’t get it ...!). I’ve now had no taste of smell for around 8 months, I can only smell a sweet fishy scent for everything (literally everything). It’s so frustrating. This has now come to light as something called “parosmia”, which is now a recognised symptom of “long Covid”.

Since April I’ve been totally lacking any energy whatsoever, my chest feels continuously heavy and almost wheezy but not crazily so. I have continuous headaches, some days I could literally sleep all day if I could. The brain fog is unreal. This is all alongside this lack of taste and smell for months.

Does anyone have it or have similar symptoms since having COVID? Have you been to see a GP? Im worried that if I call up my GP they’ll consider me a time waster or fob me off but I’m genuinely concerned I have walking pneumonia or something.
So sorry to hear this has been dragging on for so long. I had covid 9 weeks ago, I also lost my taste and smell and still haven’t returned. Most of my family got their taste and smell back within a couple of weeks but I still have zero smell and a very bad taste in my mouth (everything tastes burnt - even sweet things). My upper arms constantly feel like I’ve been doing a workout. My symptoms were mild at the time but it has certainly dragged on. My mum is in her 60s and her joint pains are horrendous this year which I think is linked to her having covid in October. It’s a nasty virus. Definitely contact your GP for advice, they will be understanding.

Hey I understand completely, I tested positive for covid in the last week of October. I'm still experiencing headaches, breathlessness (really struggle walking with a mask on) and been unable to get back into running. Just before Covid, I wasn't absolutely the fittest Ive ever been but i was able to run 6k in about 30/31 minutes, so wasnt crazily unfit. Since covid, I've tried to run and managed 2k which took 30 mins and my lungs felt awful and wheezy/heavy - never experienced that feeling before. I've also been really tired and have terrible brain fog - i had started a jigsaw the week leading up to covid, but I haven't been able to go back to it since, I'm struggling at work and also can't focus on a book. Its crazy what the lasting symptoms are.

I made a GP appt last week re headaches, as the other lasting symptoms arent as debilitating as the headaches. He told me to take propananol for the headaches. He did say it sounded like long covid and hoped the symptoms would ease up soon. I feel in a wierd place of limbo at the moment where I dont feel unwell enough to not work/do anything but I just am not my normal self mentally and physically. I know im so lucky that ive not been incredibly poorly with it like some people but thought I'd share my experience with you to let you know youre not alone.

Hope your health recovers soon xx

P. S i had to come back and edit my message for silly spelling mistakes (not typos) which is deffo the brain fog! X

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I suspect I had Covid end of March, beginning of April. Couldn't get a test at time cos I was well enough to stay at home. When smell and taste came back after a few weeks it came back distorted (parosmia as you also mention). I also struggle to breathe, especially with a mask but it's not in my lungs its somewhere in my sinuses.

I’ve not had Covid myself but if you’re feeling this rubbish and having these symptoms definitely talk to your GP!! You definitely wouldn’t be a time waster and if you do get fobbed off demand a second opinion. They could send you for blood tests and see what’s going on. Hope you’re ok.
Thank you! I definitely will. I think part of me is just concerned about having to physically go to the doctors/hospital for tests at the moment as we are in the area with one of (if not the) highest infection rates 😩 xxx

So sorry to hear this has been dragging on for so long. I had covid 9 weeks ago, I also lost my taste and smell and still haven’t returned. Most of my family got their taste and smell back within a couple of weeks but I still have zero smell and a very bad taste in my mouth (everything tastes burnt - even sweet things). My upper arms constantly feel like I’ve been doing a workout. My symptoms were mild at the time but it has certainly dragged on. My mum is in her 60s and her joint pains are horrendous this year which I think is linked to her having covid in October. It’s a nasty virus. Definitely contact your GP for advice, they will be understanding.
My goodness it’s so frustrating isn’t it, I cannot wait to be able to smell and taste normally again. Up until recently I was convinced this had only happened to me and was starting to get concerned it was related to something else. Thank you for your reply, hoping you all feel 100% ASAP xxx

Hey I understand completely, I tested positive for covid in the last week of October. I'm still experiencing headaches, breathlessness (really struggle walking with a mask on) and been unable to get back into running. Just before Covid, I wasn't absolutely the fittest Ive ever been but i was able to run 6k in about 30/31 minutes, so wasnt crazily unfit. Since covid, I've tried to run and managed 2k which took 30 mins and my lungs felt awful and wheezy/heavy - never experienced that feeling before. I've also been really tired and have terrible brain fog - i had started a jigsaw the week leading up to covid, but I haven't been able to go back to it since, I'm struggling at work and also can't focus on a book. Its crazy what the lasting symptoms are.

I made a GP appt last week re headaches, as the other lasting symptoms arent as debilitating as the headaches. He told me to take propananol for the headaches. He did say it sounded like long covid and hoped the symptoms would ease up soon. I feel in a wierd place of limbo at the moment where I dont feel unwell enough to not work/do anything but I just am not my normal self mentally and physically. I know im so lucky that ive not been incredibly poorly with it like some people but thought I'd share my experience with you to let you know youre not alone.

Hope your health recovers soon xx

P. S i had to come back and edit my message for silly spelling mistakes (not typos) which is deffo the brain fog! X
It’s so good to know I’m not alone in this, what you’ve said is exactly how I feel - not ill enough to not do stuff but the majority of the time I do feel under the weather and unable to do stuff I would normally like to and feeling totally in limbo too 😩 It’s good to know GPs recognise that long Covid is a real thing, perhaps I will get in contact...just wish they knew more and when this might actually end as I’m so tired of not feeling like myself! The brain fog is tiring, I feel like I can’t even remember my own name half the time 😂 I think maybe the headaches are the constant feeling of being run down... Thank you so much for your response and really hoping you feel brighter in the new year xx

I suspect I had Covid end of March, beginning of April. Couldn't get a test at time cos I was well enough to stay at home. When smell and taste came back after a few weeks it came back distorted (parosmia as you also mention). I also struggle to breathe, especially with a mask but it's not in my lungs its somewhere in my sinuses.
Has your smell and taste returned to normal now or is it still the same? Xx

I had Covid back in March and thankfully the only long-Covid symptom has been parosmia. I kept asking my poor husband if I smelled of fish as I kept smelling it everywhere! Also cosmetics smelled weird, I couldn't put my finger on what it was but it wasn't pleasant.
Thankfully 9 months later it's started to get a bit better. Hopefully you'll start to see improvements soon too.

I have also been short of breath when walking but I put that down to doing zero exercise for a year!

I had Covid in April, too. It was like the worst flu/chest infection rolled into one. I've been cycling through symptoms ever since.

My GP is very sympathetic and gave me several rounds of antibiotics (in case it was pneumonia), but otherwise they've said there is little they can do. They do keep telling me to check in, but it feels pointless. I still have crippling headaches, fatigue and general malaise most days.

It's very upsetting and lonely.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have seen a mini documentary about some people in germany who got covid in april but the symptoms dragged on (like ur case) for a few months. One of them was a nurse who couldn't work long shifts she used to work, and a man who ran marathons before but would struggle going up the stairs now. They joined rehabilitation centers to regain their physical fitness. As it's all so new and doctors are learning more about the virus as we go.

So in a way yes, you're definitely not alone in this. I genuinely wish you and everyone else would regain their full health soon enough xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I had COVID at the end of August and I still don’t feel well. Mainly tiredness, shortness of breath and brain fog. I had hair loss for the past few months but that seems to have slowed down. Some days I feel fine and other days I feel like I will never return to normal.

• Heart
I had Covid in April, too. It was like the worst flu/chest infection rolled into one. I've been cycling through symptoms ever since.

My GP is very sympathetic and gave me several rounds of antibiotics (in case it was pneumonia), but otherwise they've said there is little they can do. They do keep telling me to check in, but it feels pointless. I still have crippling headaches, fatigue and general malaise most days.

It's very upsetting and lonely.
I totally empathise, it is completely miserable and very lonely. I’ve explained to my partner so many times about it and how some days I find it genuinely difficult to be working at even 50% and parenting 2 under 3 but unless you’re experiencing it it’s pointless. I think he thinks I’m being a huge hypochondriac drama queen but it really is taking its toll. Sending you lots of wellness vibes for the new year xx
I had COVID at the end of August and I still don’t feel well. Mainly tiredness, shortness of breath and brain fog. I had hair loss for the past few months but that seems to have slowed down. Some days I feel fine and other days I feel like I will never return to normal.
I feel you, I am hoping we can get there in the end. Can’t wait to get back to normality xxx

• Heart
I totally empathise, it is completely miserable and very lonely. I’ve explained to my partner so many times about it and how some days I find it genuinely difficult to be working at even 50% and parenting 2 under 3 but unless you’re experiencing it it’s pointless. I think he thinks I’m being a huge hypochondriac drama queen but it really is taking its toll. Sending you lots of wellness vibes for the new year xx

I feel you, I am hoping we can get there in the end. Can’t wait to get back to normality xxx
Hopefully this will all be behind us soon. I’m trying to stay positive but sometimes it gets to me. Xx

I’ve kind of really quickly scanned through this thread and noticed someone said they had parsomia. I’m struggle pretty badly from it. Currently on about week 6. Majority of food tastes awful. Apart from cod, pasta with cheese, and a few vegetables and potatoes. I’ve been okay with it until today until I realised that the only drink I found bearable (apple juice) is now starting to have that weird chemical taste to it. My partner was just cooking chicken tonight and the smell made me gag so much I thought I was going to be sick. Obviously I know this is pretty mild compared to some people. I’d rather lose my taste and smell than my eyesight and hearing... but at the same time it’s really not nice. My mother, bless her, when I told her just said to eat sweet things. As for some reason biscuits, cake, chocolate all taste pretty much the same (typical!) however, I don’t particularly want to put on weight. But I can’t just not eat.
the worst part is, still fancying food that I know tastes horrible.
sorry for this long rant. I know no one has any answers but at least people on here will understands.One of my lovely friends thinks it’s all in my head 🙄

Would deffo go to your GP! Your aren’t wasting their time, you need help!
I know someone who had it who is struggling still and they’ve got help! And also and inhaler!
Deffo worth a phone call

I’ve kind of really quickly scanned through this thread and noticed someone said they had parsomia. I’m struggle pretty badly from it. Currently on about week 6. Majority of food tastes awful. Apart from cod, pasta with cheese, and a few vegetables and potatoes. I’ve been okay with it until today until I realised that the only drink I found bearable (apple juice) is now starting to have that weird chemical taste to it. My partner was just cooking chicken tonight and the smell made me gag so much I thought I was going to be sick. Obviously I know this is pretty mild compared to some people. I’d rather lose my taste and smell than my eyesight and hearing... but at the same time it’s really not nice. My mother, bless her, when I told her just said to eat sweet things. As for some reason biscuits, cake, chocolate all taste pretty much the same (typical!) however, I don’t particularly want to put on weight. But I can’t just not eat.
the worst part is, still fancying food that I know tastes horrible.
sorry for this long rant. I know no one has any answers but at least people on here will understands.One of my lovely friends thinks it’s all in my head 🙄
Totally can empathise with you, especially about the gagging at smells - nearly everything sets me off, I genuinely feel like I’m pregnant (which I definitely am not). Really hope it resolves for you soon. I am now 10 months in and my taste is very very slowly coming back - I’ll just eat some things and be like OMG I can taste that!! Smell is totally gone still xx