lockdown meal prep/ideas

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to derail a bit here, it is sort of on topic but not:

Does anyone have any good meal ideas or things to buy that will keep? I'm a bit concerned as I'm in Germany but I have no friends or family here. I only have work colleagues that I've known for 2 weeks. My fear is that if I have to isolate I won't have anyone to get me food or if i did I won't be able to tell them what I want (my german isn't great and I'm vegan) so I'm trying to buy stuff that'll last so should that happen I have enough food but I also don't want to buy stuff that's going to go off. I've got lentils and chickpeas, frozen and tinned veg. got plenty of spices and seasons and stuff so thats fine. Got plenty of heinz beans. but does anyone have any thing they recommend?

To add: I'm not trying to stockpile or be selfish. I'm just really concerned that if something happens and I'm not allowed out that I won't have enough food to last me.

Reactions: 2

Does anyone have any good meal ideas or things to buy that will keep? I'm a bit concerned as I'm in Germany but I have no friends or family here. I only have work colleagues that I've known for 2 weeks. My fear is that if I have to isolate I won't have anyone to get me food or if i did I won't be able to tell them what I want (my german isn't great and I'm vegan) so I'm trying to buy stuff that'll last so should that happen I have enough food but I also don't want to buy stuff that's going to go off. I've got lentils and chickpeas, frozen and tinned veg. got plenty of spices and seasons and stuff so thats fine. Got plenty of heinz beans. but does anyone have any thing they recommend?

To add: I'm not trying to stockpile or be selfish. I'm just really concerned that if something happens and I'm not allowed out that I won't have enough food to last me.
Are you able to freeze meals? I'd make things like soups etc that I could freeze. Also get things like paracetamol, decongestants, cough linctus etc

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Dehydrated soya mince
Pasta sauces/tinned tomatoes
Rice/pasta/dried (egg free!) noodles
Longer-life bread (e.g. part baked baguettes, rye bread)
Nuts (e.g. cashew nuts to throw in a stir fry)
UHT milk
Frozen jacket potatoes - to go with the beans
Vegan cheese tends to have a fairly long date
Smash (used for a cottage pie in a pinch, maybe!)
Tinned jackfruit
Flour to make your own bread/pizza bases etc

• Heart

I don’t know if they have anything like this in Germany but we get these here, it’s a mix in a bag, you only add milk then put in the tin provided and put in the oven. Really easy, we dont eat bread very often so if we got a loaf it would go off before we ate it, with this we can just keep it in the cupboard and make it when we want bread.
F3F73AF1-9E3D-42FE-AE2D-ADC525E4A06F.jpeg

• Heart

If you have a freezer I would make as many meals as possible now that you can heat up in the microwave. Lentil Bolognese, soup, pasta dishes, lasagna - things like that which will be filling but easy to heat up in case you do get unwell.

Definitely google batch cooking recipes as there’s tons out there, also have a look on YouTube.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Oats, rice and other grains, stock, dried fruit, sugars, maple syrup, flour, cereal.

That would give you something to have with anything you make from the tins. You can make different breads and even some biscuits or something.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Are you able to freeze meals? I'd make things like soups etc that I could freeze. Also get things like paracetamol, decongestants, cough linctus etc
Yes I can, I didn't actually think of that! I batch cook anyway as it's only me eating the meals so currently have 2 portions of cottage pie and 2 portions of bean chilli in my freezer already! I have oven food in there as well. I think over the next few weeks I'll freeze 2 portions of everything I'm cooking and then should I need to isolate I'll have some stuff ready in case.

Thank you also! ❤

I have to say the amount of plastic bags we go through hurts me though. I've found some material bags which I will be able to wash with the masks
What about brown paper bags? At least they are compostable.

You can buy peppers, cut them up, and freeze them! Great for curries, veggie chili, soup, etc.

This is a dahl recipe that I love (it lasts like 4 days for my husband and I so about 8 portions).

Also, love this chickpea stew. She has a lot of vegan recipes.

This bean chili is good.

And this coconut sweet potato stew.

These all freeze well and are good with rice, quinoa, naan bread, etc.

You could make this bread too. I cut it into 4 loaves and freeze.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
oh my gosh I was not expecting so many responses! I can't quote you all but thank you so much! I've made a list with all the suggestions and I'm going to buy some stuff tomorrow morning!

Thank you all so much! You've all really put my mind at ease!! I was starting to panic a bit to be honest ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
oh my gosh I was not expecting so many responses! I can't quote you all but thank you so much! I've made a list with all the suggestions and I'm going to buy some stuff tomorrow morning!

Thank you all so much! You've all really put my mind at ease!! I was starting to panic a bit to be honest ❤
So glad you’ve got great responses for food! It is not hoarding, it is being prepared for your situation. I would only add to have about 2 week’s worth (or however long quarantine may be) of personal hygiene items, medications, and basics like that. Good luck!

• Heart
I put mine on as I hit the town centre and take it off when I get in the car or off the bus depending how I travelled. I don't tumble dry as it wrecks the elastic but follow all of the other rules. It does help if you can sew - i made about 12 masks for each of us when we first needed them.
Did you use a particular pattern? I bought all the elastic etc to make masks at the start and then never got round to it

If you have access to a freezer I’d recommend making some batches of stuff and freezing in portions. We self isolated and did get shopping in for bread, milk, fruit etc. Also ate lots of soup and beans on toast. It’s helpful to have portions of bolognese, Chili etc in the freezer. Especially if you are isolating and unwell, you won’t want to cook.

• Heart
So glad you’ve got great responses for food! It is not hoarding, it is being prepared for your situation. I would only add to have about 2 week’s worth (or however long quarantine may be) of personal hygiene items, medications, and basics like that. Good luck!
thank you so much! Thankfully it's just me so I don't need a lot which means buying 2 of everything isn't really a big deal in terms of a supermarket! I have added sanitary items, loo roll and toothpaste to my list ❤

• Heart
thank you so much! Thankfully it's just me so I don't need a lot which means buying 2 of everything isn't really a big deal in terms of a supermarket! I have added sanitary items, loo roll and toothpaste to my list ❤
You will feel much more relaxed knowing you’re prepared 😊

• Heart
Thank you again for all your responses! I realised that the Vegan Supermarket website does deliver to me so I can some stuff from there and have it delivered. It can be quite expensive but at least it means I can buy milk etc if I need it