Liars & being accused of telling lies

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, not a thread about the Post Office scandal, but their plight has made me wonder if anyone else has ever been accused of telling a lie, no matter how big or how small.

Obviously not talking about little white lies - which we all probably do from time to time:

'Do you like my new dress/sofa/haircut?' :)

'Ooh ... lovely'. šŸ˜¬

No, I mean real lies.

My aunt & uncle lived a couple of doors down from us. When I was a child, maybe about 7 or 8 yrs of age, my aunt's younger sister, who was visiting her one day, accused me of lying about something. *Aunt was married to my Dad's brother, so her sister was no relation to me at all really - but a real witch. Let's call her Heather - which coincidentally is her real name. The delightful Heather had made friends with an equally delightful witch, let's call her Isobel ... who lived in the next estate. They were both around the age of 16 or 17 at the time (bear in mind I was about 7 or 8) and they both amused themselves by chasing after young girls in the village and threatening to TAKE THEIR KNICKERS OFF! Whaaaaaat?! :eek: I know! Sexual abuse these days no doubt. Anyway, this was in the 1960s.

So one day I was heading home and the two witches saw me, told me they were going to take my knickers off ... and started to chase after me. I was honestly terrified. I ran like mad and was crying my eyes out. Eventually I made it home ... knickers intact ... but I was in an awful state by this time, and Mum asked what was wrong and why was I was crying - so I told her. She went mad and went round to my aunt's house and told her what had happened. Aunt apparently confronted the delightful Heather when she came home and of course the delightful Heather denied everything. Aunt told my Mum I was lying. Aunt told me I was lying - and told me off for lying! :mad:Unfortunately I was born in an era when a child didn't argue with an adult. But I'm sure my darling Mum must've defended me there and then but it's all so long ago I just can't remember.

This might all sound rather trivial to some, after all, nothing really happened - apart from the fact I was called a liar when I wasn't. I can't remember if my Mum & I discussed this further, even days/weeks/months/years/decades later. For some reason this has played on my mind ever since my Mum died - I often wish I'd re-hashed this saga and asked her; did you believe me? But I think she must have, I hope she did anyway. Mums know their children, right?

To this day I HATE LOATHE & DESPISE liars. I have a deep hatred of liars. I also have a special understanding of how it must feel for anyone who's been accused of telling a lie when they're totally innocent. I've also met, along the way, people who lie just for the sake of it - you couldn't believe a word that comes out of their mouths. It's some sort of personality defect. Once I find a person out in a deliberate lie, that's it, no more contact. Trust gone. Piss off. Goodbye.

(The delightful Heather & Isobel are still around btw - is it too late to sue for childhood trauma?) ;)

Anyway, anyone else ever been accused of lying? Or have you found a liar out?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You can protect yourself against a thief, but you canā€™t protect yourself against a liar. Hateful. Loathe liars.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
You can protect yourself against a thief, but you canā€™t protect yourself against a liar. Hateful. Loathe liars.
Agree. I had a friend who was a real liar. I caught her out in quite a few lies - but the thing about it was, she was - otherwise - so down-to-earth and likeable. Most of her lies involved illnesses, life-threatening illnesses. There seemed to be no end to them. In the end, she had me doubting myself: Did I pick her up wrongly? Am I misremembering? Am I being a witch for doubting everything she says now? It all got so exhausting that I just cut ties with her completely. I don't know why some people do it - as I said before, it must be some sort of personality defect.

Reactions: 1
Years ago @Sketchy, my son had a classmate whose mother pretended she had cancer. She shaved her head. Wore scarves etc. All a pack of lies. They were at primary school at the time. I will never understand why anyone would lie about something like that and put their family through significant trauma. She also had challenges with alcohol. Definitely personality issues.
And then you get pathological liars, who lie about everything and anything.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My parents were always arguing when I was a kid. When I was about 8 or 9 I remember one argument my dad blamed me for causing, can't remember why or what it was about. My mum spoke to afterwards as I was understandably upset and told me that it wasn't my fault at all. A few days later another argument blew up and my dad again blamed me for the previous argument and I told him that mum had said that it wasn't my fault. My mum then denied that she had said this to me, I pleaded with them that she had said this but I was accused of lying, they both knew that I was not a kid that told lies. I then got the full force of my dad's anger while my mum just stood there. Mum never said anything afterwards and over the years I have thought of mentioning it to her, but she would deny all knowledge of it.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
My Dad is a pathological liar. I have nothing to do with him because itā€™s such a head duck.

When I was 13 I missed the last bus home (small village service) and had to call my Dad to collect me. I used the pay phone in a nearby pub and when he picked me up he said my uncle had seen me drinking in another pub that night. I hadnā€™t been anywhere near said pub and I kept insisting it wasnā€™t true. He called me a liar and punched me so hard in the side of the head that my head bounced off the passenger side window of the car ā€¦ I actually saw āœØ stars like in the cartoons. I couldnā€™t walk properly for about a week after that and had to take time off school again. To this day I donā€™t know whether my dad or my uncle was the liar.

Interestingly I never grew a single inch taller after that punch ā€¦ Iā€™ve been 5ft tall since I was 13. Iā€™ve no idea if thatā€™s connected to the head trauma but my family are all tall so maybe šŸ¤”

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
This seems really insignificant but caused me a lot of stress at the time.

In my teens and my first office job there was a huge drinking culture and everyone went to the pub every Friday. I remember this particular Friday as I didn't feel great but went anyway and didn't drink (everyone else was smashed). Anyway I get in to the office Monday and a 'friend' has told everyone how she caught me having a snog/fumble outside the pub with one of the office guys - this 100% did not happen, she even had the cheek to say "just admit it" when I confronted her.

To make matters worse the guy seemingly enjoying his new found notoriety went along with it!. In the end I just had to stop protesting my innocence and let it die down because what do you do when two people are lying about you??. Dumbasses.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
When I started a new office job, the girl who was assigned to training me up seemed really nice. We had a lot in common, were around the same age, I honestly thought we'd be friends. Part of my role was to price up certain jobs, these had fixed prices, she had written the specific prices down on a note, which I kept in a drawer at my desk for reference. It turns out that she had written one of the prices down incorrectly, as a result, several jobs had been undercharged by me. When I was asked why I had charged (for instance) Ā£10 for a particular job, and not Ā£15 as per the price, I just told them that I was told that Ā£10 was the price. I didn't want to drop anyone in it, but I wasn't taking the blame for someone else's error. It wasn't like the company lost loads of money, the error was picked up really quickly, so I don't know why she didn't just admit her mistake.
Instead, she completely denied that she had fucked up. I told my boss that she had written the price down but when I went to get the note, she had taken it from my desk!

Unfortunately for her, I'd photocopied it so that I could take it home to learn the price structure. The note was handwritten, so she couldn't deny it. I did get an apology from the boss, although not from her. I never spoke to her again unless I absolutely had to, the sneaky witch!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I canā€™t stand liars, but itā€™s often a manipulation tactic. Itā€™s interesting because people come out with things like ā€œthereā€™s no smoke without fireā€ or ā€œthe lady doth protest too muchā€ style lines when a person tries to defend themselves against a liar, and of course the damage is done at that stage. And of course, the person being lied about is going to try counter it, because why would they want lies being spread?!

We have a family saga ongoing at the moment, and as a result thereā€™s all sorts of lies flying round and itā€™s awful. One person in particular lies consistently and denies it to the ground when called out on it, but for some reason is getting away with it. Iā€™m sure it will all come out at some stage but itā€™s draining in the meantime.

I have no poker face, I cannot tell a lie to save my life. Itā€™s much easier to remember the truth rather than a fabrication anyway.

Reactions: 3
IIRC the diarist/novelist Anais Nin used to tell so many fibs that she kept a referenced card file system so she could keep her fibbing consistent in relation to who she'd lied to and what she'd lied about.

The more you lie the more you have to remember.

Reactions: 4
So many years ago I was a ā€˜PR internā€™ at H&M, which in reality just meant an unpaid Sales Assistant šŸ™ƒ including pulling clothes from the shop floor, detagging them as they went out for loan and then tagging and putting them back. For some reason the actual Sales Assistants thought we had notions about ourselves and were weirdly territorial, hostile and sometimes outright combative whenever I would emerge from the in-store PR office to pull things. Think dirty looks and whispers, and constantly being questioned about what Iā€™m doing or taking (please bear in mind I was not being paid AT ALL, so certainly not enough to be dealing with this unfounded and quite frankly bizarre aggro).

One day I am returning clothes to the shop floor when a very friendly (code for new, she clearly didnā€™t know the score yet šŸ˜‚) Assistant comes up to me and says she can put it away for me. The vibe was honestly that intense that I knew the other workers would not like this and kept saying no but she insisted. I thanked her and returned to the office. Not 5 minutes later one of the queen witch SAs knocks on the door and says to my supervisor ā€œshe has just dumped a pile of clothes on an SA upstairs to put back for her, it is not our job to put away your PR stockā€ šŸ’€šŸ’€šŸ’€ I was FLABBERGASTED. When I explained what had actually happened she said I was lying. It still enrages me to this day!!! I also still wonder if the (clearly) long-standing PR/SA feud is still alive šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
My parents were always arguing when I was a kid. When I was about 8 or 9 I remember one argument my dad blamed me for causing, can't remember why or what it was about. My mum spoke to afterwards as I was understandably upset and told me that it wasn't my fault at all. A few days later another argument blew up and my dad again blamed me for the previous argument and I told him that mum had said that it wasn't my fault. My mum then denied that she had said this to me, I pleaded with them that she had said this but I was accused of lying, they both knew that I was not a kid that told lies. I then got the full force of my dad's anger while my mum just stood there. Mum never said anything afterwards and over the years I have thought of mentioning it to her, but she would deny all knowledge of it.
That's incredibly sad. So sorry that happened to you. :(

I have just been accused of reporting my step childrens mother to social services.... I have thought about it many times but I have not done it
Shes a serious liar, she tries manipulate the kids into believing they dont like me, my son or the home we share with thier father!
Shes a terrible person, ive actually never had any communication with her until yesterday when she rang to abuse me aggressively over the phone for reporting her boyfriend to social services šŸ¤”
(hes a bully and shes a terrible mother)

She will literally lie about the most ridiculous things that are also quite obviously a lie but will just go and go with it I've never known anything quite like it.

Yesterday shenwas insistent that only 3 people know her childs incontinence issue....... Me, his dad and herself. She lives with her boyfriend, mother and brother who all know this, the school know his friends know , my family know, my husbands family know.... Her boyfriend screams at him to stop ignoring his alarm to have a wee before he wees himself again, whilst the child is playing on his Xbox with other kids etc etc, so a lot more than 3 people do clearly know. When i pointed this fact out she absolutely insists I'M lying šŸ˜± so it must have been me

At one point my husband was going to say it was him just to get her to go away.

Unbelievable

Reactions: 2