Learning to sew clothing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all,

Recently I’ve decided I’d realy like to learn how to sew! I’m quite handy and think I’ll really enjoy learning to make my own clothes.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for me :) or has learnt to make their own clothes and wants to share their experience?

Also looking for a sewing machine recommendation (ideally a strong one as my ultimate goals are to make myself a trenchcoat and tweed blazer)

thanks in advance ❤

Reactions: 5
Just commenting so I can see answers too as I would love to do the same, particularly inspired by the recycling week on the sewing bee this year, I have 4 kids and would love to repurpose some vintage shirts (that I can’t bring myself to throw out!)

Reactions: 1
I have a singer machine which is great. I got it a few years back as I wanted to learn how to sew, although it may not be up to a tweed coat and jacket.

I went on a course locally which was 4 weeks of basic how to use a sewing machine, and how to start to make some basic items. It gave me the info I needed for being able to move on a make things myself. It was run by a local arts and crafts/pottery painting shop. It would be useful to look for something similar in your area (although Covid 🙄🙄)

@Barbs89 if you are interested in making kids clothes, there are loads of sites you can get patterns. Brindille and twig is one of my favourites, made by jacks mum is another, but there are piles. I’ve made shorts, skirts, dungarees, leggings, bibs etc for my kids over the last few years. if I can do it, anyone can 😂 I’ve also cobbled my own together from drawing round existing clothes and using those as a template for a pattern.

I have a singer sewing machine too! The singer starlet to be precise, which isn’t the cheapest for a beginner but I absolutely love it. I started to sew at the end of summer. I bought the machine from hobby craft and when you buy from them you can have an hour free sewing lesson to go through basics. Due to COVID however, the lessons weren’t taking place but I managed to teach myself on YouTube. There are loads of easy to follow patterns to get started with on there and on Instagram. Please let me know if you’d like to know anything, I’m happy to discuss.

I started to learn to sew about 18 months ago. I have a Janome machine, but haven’t used it much since then. My confidence is not great with using it and changing needles, etc.

I did do one day courses at a sewing centre in my home county (Essex), but the lady who runs it just didn’t have the patience with people who were not quick enough to pick things up. She was a self-taught sewing teacher and whilst her classes are popular, there are limitations. Everything was rushed and I came away from her classes not really feeling I had learnt much.

I would love to be taught by a proper seamstress and learn all about sewing, the machine, using the different needles and feet, etc, etc.

Reactions: 2
Thank you all so much! I just think it would be such a great hobby and I would just love to make my own clothes and have them be exactly how I want it.

I looked at Singer but they do so many different machines and I just fell down a rabbit hole and gave up looking.

Thank you all so much! I just think it would be such a great hobby and I would just love to make my own clothes and have them be exactly how I want it.

I looked at Singer but they do so many different machines and I just fell down a rabbit hole and gave up looking.
There are loads of sewing groups on Facebook you could join, and perhaps someone there could point you in the direction of a machine which would suit your needs best

Hey all,

Recently I’ve decided I’d realy like to learn how to sew! I’m quite handy and think I’ll really enjoy learning to make my own clothes.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for me :) or has learnt to make their own clothes and wants to share their experience?

Also looking for a sewing machine recommendation (ideally a strong one as my ultimate goals are to make myself a trenchcoat and tweed blazer)

thanks in advance ❤
I've been a sewer since school, a long time ago. You should buy the best sewing machine that you can afford and it should have some weight to it. Brother and Janome are decent machines and Berninas are brilliant but very expensive, I've never had a Singer (apart from an old treadle years ago) so can't comment on them. If you get one then spend a lot of time reading the manual which will tell you which feet to use for which job and then practice using them. Cut up an old sheet or something and practice on that until you can use all the feet with confidence. A good second hand machine would be an option but don't buy anything that you haven't seen in use. When you do begin to make your own clothes you need to be able to read a pattern. There are some really good indie patterns out now with fairly simple instructions rather than starting with a traditional pattern, Have a look at Tilly and the buttons patterns which seem popular nowadays. Youtube has loads of advice on machines and sewing.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've been a sewer since school, a long time ago. You should buy the best sewing machine that you can afford and it should have some weight to it. Brother and Janome are decent machines and Berninas are brilliant but very expensive, I've never had a Singer (apart from an old treadle years ago) so can't comment on them. If you get one then spend a lot of time reading the manual which will tell you which feet to use for which job and then practice using them. Cut up an old sheet or something and practice on that until you can use all the feet with confidence. A good second hand machine would be an option but don't buy anything that you haven't seen in use. When you do begin to make your own clothes you need to be able to read a pattern. There are some really good indie patterns out now with fairly simple instructions rather than starting with a traditional pattern, Have a look at Tilly and the buttons patterns which seem popular nowadays. Youtube has loads of advice on machines and sewing.
Thank you so much that has been so helpful!!
I can read a pattern now as I’ve watched so many yt videos now.
Have just ordered some fabric and will start by handsewing a few masks and maybe a top. Then hopefully I can wait till Christmas and ask for a sewing machine. (But I may end up too impatient and buy myself one sooner)

I've had the same Frister and Rossmann old sewing machine for over 20 years but have only ever used it to make curtains and cushions and altered a few things. Definitely look at IG - Tilly and the Button, The Polka Dot Palace and Juliet Tuzor post lots of tutorials.

Thank you so much that has been so helpful!!nt
I can read a pattern now as I’ve watched so many yt videos now.
Have just ordered some fabric and will start by handsewing a few masks and maybe a top. Then hopefully I can wait till Christmas and ask for a sewing machine. (But I may end up too impatient and buy myself one sooner)
When you do get your machine make sure that it will do everything you want from a machine but don't forget that some machines have lots of features you might never use such as embroidery or a gazillion stitches. Have fun researching.