Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
How did you get on?
hiya, dr gave him a good looking over, agreed that his neck looked worrying but on examination thinks its a lymph node laying over his muscle, she said all the nodes from his skull to his shoulder on left side are all inflamed. It looks like it's definitely a a form of arthritis, just got to find out what type etc. so still non the wiser really but thankfully I know I don't need to worry about his lumpy neck! x

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
a little update as promised!
I rang and demanded my son was seen today as he was struggling to walk, he is being referred to a consultant as a urgent case for blood tests and scans. Dr agreed with me it's not normal for a child his age to be in that much pain, considering my son broke his arm when he was 3 and didn't even cry, the fact that he's complaining constantly is concerning!

thank you all for your replies x

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
Just another little update (I hate it when others don't update!)
All his blood tests came back as normal, he's been referred referred a rheumatologist, the pain has now spread to his arms and neck!

• Sad
Reactions: 5

under the ivy

VIP Member
It could just be growing pains - I remember having them so bad in my legs when I was kid. I used to cry on a night and get my mum to rub my legs.

I do research on juvenile arthritis so maybe ask your GP about some tests for it? Although if he hasn’t got any fever/swelling it may not be that.

Don’t let the Dr fob you off, you know your kid x

Reactions: 4

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
Aw, hope you don't have to wait too long for the Rheumatology appointment. No blood tests showed up my son's JIA it was only when they sent the fluid from his knee away for testing that they diagnosed it. When my son was under a Rheumatologist he said if he ever feels the pain again just go straight to A&E so try that if you're waiting too long for an appointment if his pain gets worse. Good luck.
Thank you, some one recommended Epsom salts baths so were trying them at night time and he seems to settle easier after one. It's mornings we struggle as he has lansoprozole and then can't have anything for 30 mins so has to wait for pain relief. But we will get there! Xx

Reactions: 3

Ahahha

Chatty Member
Just another little update (I hate it when others don't update!)
All his blood tests came back as normal, he's been referred referred a rheumatologist, the pain has now spread to his arms and neck!
Aww shame hope he gets better soon

Reactions: 3

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
How did the appointment go?

My son was diagnosed with Junior Idiopathic Arthritis age 6 but he did have heat and swelling in his knee. They took fluid from his knee and tested it then told me he didn't have JIA then came back later that day and said he did! However, after a steroid injection into his knee thankfully it never came back and his JIA has remained dormant and he's now a young adult.

Hope your son is doing OK and not in too much pain and you get a diagnosis of what's wrong.
Hey, he ended up being admitted a couple of weeks ago as his leg buckled under him whilst walking down the stairs, thankfully the dogs a idiot and broke his fall by being in the way! They did blood tests that have all come back clear, he's been referred to a rheumatologist, so just waiting on that appointment to come through. He is still in pain, some days worse than others. Glad your lad is is doing well x

• Heart
Reactions: 2

MaryX82

VIP Member
We have hospital tomorrow thankfully, so hopefully we will have some answers soon, he's devoleped this lump on his neck too lately. Kids gonna turn me grey by the time I'm 34 lol
The lump could be a Lipoma developed one a few years back which went down with no treatment.Hope they get things sorted for your young man

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
He was seen in the hospital yesterday, had bloods taken and the first lot came back this morning as normal, waiting on a few more to come back next week. Getting some where slowly with him. Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

@begmy daughters friend has Perthes disease, it did cross my mind as alot of the symptoms are similar but he has full rotation of his hip at the moment.
Oh thats good! One thing not to be concerned about x

Fizzwhizz2020

Chatty Member
Definitely might be worth checking for arthritis especially if he had a stomach issue when young. One of my aunts got severe food poisoning which triggered arthritis. I could believe a stomach issue could cause something like that. It could also be growing pains or an issue with knee cartilage too. Hope your little one is pain free soon x

doawheelie

Chatty Member
hiya, dr gave him a good looking over, agreed that his neck looked worrying but on examination thinks its a lymph node laying over his muscle, she said all the nodes from his skull to his shoulder on left side are all inflamed. It looks like it's definitely a a form of arthritis, just got to find out what type etc. so still non the wiser really but thankfully I know I don't need to worry about his lumpy neck! x
God love him I have arthritis myself I know how rough it is hopefully they can sort him out soon💜

• Heart

IsabellaT

I had really bad joint pain when I was about his age. It was bad to the point that I collapsed at the top of the stairs and tumbled down. It turned out I had severe joint hyper mobility as well as a salt deficiency. Even now, because I don’t eatmuch added salt, I can tell when it dips below a certain point because the pains come back. The consultant to.d my mum I was the first child he’d ever recommended salt too. Hope it’s something simple like that and he’s better soon

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Aw, hope you don't have to wait too long for the Rheumatology appointment. No blood tests showed up my son's JIA it was only when they sent the fluid from his knee away for testing that they diagnosed it. When my son was under a Rheumatologist he said if he ever feels the pain again just go straight to A&E so try that if you're waiting too long for an appointment if his pain gets worse. Good luck.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Well his urgent appointment has come through for the 13th May! Got drs ringing tomorrow morning to see how he is, he hasn't been to school all week as in too much pain!
How did the appointment go?

My son was diagnosed with Junior Idiopathic Arthritis age 6 but he did have heat and swelling in his knee. They took fluid from his knee and tested it then told me he didn't have JIA then came back later that day and said he did! However, after a steroid injection into his knee thankfully it never came back and his JIA has remained dormant and he's now a young adult.

Hope your son is doing OK and not in too much pain and you get a diagnosis of what's wrong.

Rocknrolla

Growing pains? I remember having them at night time when I was little used to keep me awake.

Reactions: 1

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
Well his urgent appointment has come through for the 13th May! Got drs ringing tomorrow morning to see how he is, he hasn't been to school all week as in too much pain!

Reactions: 1