Knee pain in 8 year old

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I will start by saying we have a doctors appointment booked for the 16th so medical attention is being sought.

my son is 8, since Christmas he has been mentioning that his knee hurts, he is complaining of it more often lately and has started limping/hobbling at times but he is able to weight bear. The pain is there all the time, pain relief helps but as soon as it wears off he is in pain again and it disturbs his sleep.
There is no redness or swelling. No temp. He doesn't seem to eat as much but then he isn't as active as he would normally be due to the pain.
Today we went for a walk,, when we got home he was crying saying his hips, ankle and foot hurt aswel as his knee!

I did a E consult (only way to contact our DRs) on Wednesday and got a text back from them on Friday saying a DR will contact me next Friday, I'm not sure if I should wait or push for him to be seen sooner. I do have health anxiety so tend to over react.
what would you do?
thank you

Last edited:
Was there anyway he could have injured himself around December?Football,playing with siblings?Do not let the doctors fob you off.Good luck with your boy

Was there anyway he could have injured himself around December?Football,playing with siblings?Do not let the doctors fob you off.Good luck with your boy
Hope it works out alright for you both.Keep us updated.Although no one does on tattle.My niece has torn a ligament in her knee over Easter so no more tick tok for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
It could just be growing pains - I remember having them so bad in my legs when I was kid. I used to cry on a night and get my mum to rub my legs.

I do research on juvenile arthritis so maybe ask your GP about some tests for it? Although if he hasn’t got any fever/swelling it may not be that.

Don’t let the Dr fob you off, you know your kid x

Reactions: 4
Possibly growing pains. Does he wear proper supportive shoes and/or trainers when you go out for walks? He's not out walking in sandals or some other type of low support footwear? My other thought is a foot pronation issue (over pronation or under pronation) when walking which isn't uncommon. You could try getting him to do some leg stretches to see if that helps at all. The IT band runs from the hip all way down to the shin area and when it's tight it is known to cause all kinds of hip, knee, and leg pain.

I will start by saying we have a doctors appointment booked for the 16th so medical attention is being sought.

my son is 8, since Christmas he has been mentioning that his knee hurts, he is complaining of it more often lately and has started limping/hobbling at times but he is able to weight bear. The pain is there all the time, pain relief helps but as soon as it wears off he is in pain again and it disturbs his sleep.
There is no redness or swelling. No temp. He doesn't seem to eat as much but then he isn't as active as he would normally be due to the pain.
Today we went for a walk,, when we got home he was crying saying his hips, ankle and foot hurt aswel as his knee!

I did a E consult (only way to contact our DRs) on Wednesday and got a text back from them on Friday saying a DR will contact me next Friday, I'm not sure if I should wait or push for him to be seen sooner. I do have health anxiety so tend to over react.
what would you do?
thank you
Maybe an X-ray will put both your minds at rest.A&E if it gets any worse before the doctors appointment.

Growing pains? I remember having them at night time when I was little used to keep me awake.

Thank you all for the responses and well wishes.
Just to answer some questions
There was no injuries that we can remember, he wears walking boots when we go for walks in the forest or a long walk.

I'm sure it is just something simple as growing pains but we nearly lost him to gastroenteritis when he was a baby due to a drs error so I always panic!

First off, don't feel strange for worrying about this issue as it's certainly not normal for an 8 year old to have such pain. There must be an internal tear, nerve problem, or inflammation that isn't getting a chance to fully heal. Kids jump around constantly so it doesn't necessarily mean it needed to be a severe injury to cause damage.

I do know that my sister had very similar pains that magically went away after several months when she was in grade school, only to find out 10 years later that she had rheumatoid arthritis and that it usually presents itself initially by a flare-up in the early years. So if you don't find any answers with an x-ray or scan maybe consider this could also be a reason.

Definitely might be worth checking for arthritis especially if he had a stomach issue when young. One of my aunts got severe food poisoning which triggered arthritis. I could believe a stomach issue could cause something like that. It could also be growing pains or an issue with knee cartilage too. Hope your little one is pain free soon x

Reactions: 2
a little update as promised!
I rang and demanded my son was seen today as he was struggling to walk, he is being referred to a consultant as a urgent case for blood tests and scans. Dr agreed with me it's not normal for a child his age to be in that much pain, considering my son broke his arm when he was 3 and didn't even cry, the fact that he's complaining constantly is concerning!

thank you all for your replies x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I had really bad joint pain when I was about his age. It was bad to the point that I collapsed at the top of the stairs and tumbled down. It turned out I had severe joint hyper mobility as well as a salt deficiency. Even now, because I don’t eatmuch added salt, I can tell when it dips below a certain point because the pains come back. The consultant to.d my mum I was the first child he’d ever recommended salt too. Hope it’s something simple like that and he’s better soon

Well his urgent appointment has come through for the 13th May! Got drs ringing tomorrow morning to see how he is, he hasn't been to school all week as in too much pain!

Well his urgent appointment has come through for the 13th May! Got drs ringing tomorrow morning to see how he is, he hasn't been to school all week as in too much pain!
I’m glad your getting closer to getting things sorted for him but I wish the wait wouldn’t be so long especially since he’s a child.

Oh bless. My brother had a sudden pain come on and he started limping. It was located in his hip and was found to be perthes disease. Sometimes it can show as knee pain. (Hes absolutely fine now, at 32!) Hopefully its something easily sorted

He was seen in the hospital yesterday, had bloods taken and the first lot came back this morning as normal, waiting on a few more to come back next week. Getting some where slowly with him. Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

@begmy daughters friend has Perthes disease, it did cross my mind as alot of the symptoms are similar but he has full rotation of his hip at the moment.

He was seen in the hospital yesterday, had bloods taken and the first lot came back this morning as normal, waiting on a few more to come back next week. Getting some where slowly with him. Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

@begmy daughters friend has Perthes disease, it did cross my mind as alot of the symptoms are similar but he has full rotation of his hip at the moment.
Oh thats good! One thing not to be concerned about x

I had terrible knee pain all through child hood and into my teens - it turned out to be joint hypermobility. I still get it now but much more rarely.

Just another little update (I hate it when others don't update!)
All his blood tests came back as normal, he's been referred referred a rheumatologist, the pain has now spread to his arms and neck!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Just another little update (I hate it when others don't update!)
All his blood tests came back as normal, he's been referred referred a rheumatologist, the pain has now spread to his arms and neck!
Aww shame hope he gets better soon

Reactions: 3