Kids food allergies

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I’m catering for a kids party next month and one of the kids is allergic to wheat, barley, egg and peanuts. I have no experience with allergies so just looking for any tips for suitable party food. Thanks for any help!

Need to be very careful with cross contamination. I'd keep the allergy kids snacks separate. Do you know if the the kid is anaphylactic to his allergies? Nut allergy can be airborne and in that case I would make sure all food is nut free.

There are good 'free from' sections now in most supermarkets. Pom bear crisps would be suitable. I'm sure you would be able to find some Instagram accounts with tips and ideas. Good luck.

Also, if you are up to baking a cupcake/cake, you can use a GF shop bought packet of cake mix and substituent the egg with a can of fizzy pop. It's lovely and works really well.

Reactions: 1
I personally would always ask the parents for specific foods that the kids can and will eat.
My cousin had a similar situation at her birthday party and we found lots of suitable stuff for the kid … but he didn‘t like any of it and cried because he couldn‘t have what the others were having.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I would ask his parents what he can have and what they would suggest. Pre packaged things like Lazy Day and some things from the free from section of the supermarket may be a good choice.

Hi all, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I’m catering for a kids party next month and one of the kids is allergic to wheat, barley, egg and peanuts. I have no experience with allergies so just looking for any tips for suitable party food. Thanks for any help!
I’d definitely speak to the parent - much better to know you’re giving them food they can and will eat rather than trying to work it out for yourself, and you know they will get things they will eat too.

def check with the mum, different brands use different ingredients for the same foods. When my son had a party, a child was dairy free, her mum said she can have skips so I brought shops own version and they had bloody milk in them!

I kept all packets of the food for the allergy child so I could show the parents and double check with them.

Morrisons have quite a good free from range including little cup cakes.

It’s a bit of a tricky situation. I think they’re coming to our party, they haven’t RSVP’d however apparently other mums have said that they’ve heard that the child’s mother has said he’s coming. I don’t have the mothers phone number and she doesn’t do the school run as the kid is at breakfast/after school club.
I only just found out that they might be coming and the party is this weekend. I’d
like to have some food and cake available just in case they do turn up. I’d hate for him to feel left out.

• Wow
It’s a bit of a tricky situation. I think they’re coming to our party, they haven’t RSVP’d however apparently other mums have said that they’ve heard that the child’s mother has said he’s coming. I don’t have the mothers phone number and she doesn’t do the school run as the kid is at breakfast/after school club.
I only just found out that they might be coming and the party is this weekend. I’d
like to have some food and cake available just in case they do turn up. I’d hate for him to feel left out.
Urgh I hate it when parents don't rsvp but still turn up! Especially with an allergy involved. Have a look in the free form aisles. Might be your safest bet.

Reactions: 3
I personally would always ask the parents for specific foods that the kids can and will eat.
My cousin had a similar situation at her birthday party and we found lots of suitable stuff for the kid … but he didn‘t like any of it and cried because he couldn‘t have what the others were having.
i don’t have kids but oh god the stress 😭😬

I have a child with allergies and when it comes to parties I bring food for her to have. I don’t like to put the host to trouble plus then I know the food is ‘safe’ so to speak. Find out if she is definitely coming and then if she is maybe ask what the child can eat and then throw in a ‘I won’t be offended if you want to bring a few bits for her/him’ kinda thing. I would also add that people are very quick to declare ‘allergies’ when really it’s no more than an intolerance. Quite different reactions. Have a great party 🥳

Reactions: 4
You might find that his mum brings food with her. My friend’s daughter has a gluten, egg and dairy allergy so she just takes some snacks for her to have along in a lunch box. It’s pretty stressful organising a party without being expected to cater for people who haven’t confirmed! Could you ask your child to pass on a note to confirm?

I have a child with allergies and when it comes to parties I bring food for her to have. I don’t like to put the host to trouble plus then I know the food is ‘safe’ so to speak. Find out if she is definitely coming and then if she is maybe ask what the child can eat and then throw in a ‘I won’t be offended if you want to bring a few bits for her/him’ kinda thing. I would also add that people are very quick to declare ‘allergies’ when really it’s no more than an intolerance. Quite different reactions. Have a great party 🥳
'no more than an intolerance' reactions can also make children quite sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
One of my kids is peanut allergic. Please try and get a message to the parent, they will be more than happy to assist you with safe items and will also be really glad that you have cared to ask. You would be surprised how many people would prefer to exclude the child altogether than enquire about the food.

The parent will probably either bring their own food for the child, or provide you with a list of safe stuff.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to get in touch with you, allergy parents are usually quite paranoid about this kind of thing, not only about the risk but also not wanting to put anyone out. 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Can you give your child a note to hand over at school? Asking the parent to contact you as you have been told the child is coming to the party and you want to make sure you can cater for the allergies?
Might open up a convo and they may bring their own lunchbox or something.