Job Interview Tips & Advice Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just thought I'd make a thread for everyone to share advice and their experiences with job interviews.

A lot of people lost their jobs during this pandemic (including me) so I thought it'd be a good idea.

Reactions: 4
I just had one 2 weeks ago and got the job offer last week. The interview was phone/video and I thought about not turning my camera on. But a friend said his boss always says that was a red flag and that it means the person is not confident. So I dressed up, put make up on, did my hair and turned that camera on. It was a tough interview and lasted 45 min of questions like: have you ever been in a situation.... and how did you handle it. But I guess I did good since they offered me the job. I think I prefer in person interviews but 2020 is a strange year.

Reactions: 12
I am a freelance IT consultant, and have been for about 2-3 years now. But sometimes to win decent contracts I have to go through a standard interview process.

Bigging up your qualifications is of course important, but quite often you might get asked questions regarding hypothetical scenarios (this depends on the kind of job you're after of course). In my case I was asked IT-related questions, such as "What business continuity/disaster recovery would you have in place if a department lost power?"

I had to give a verbal answer: no diagrams, no written flow-charts; just verbal. So I had to think fast and in a logical way. I guess they wanted to see how I would react/think under pressure.

Its that part of the interview that might make the difference if the selection process is tight

Reactions: 2
I've had 3 job interviews lately.

The first the interviewer told me I didn't need to turn my camera on which I found odd. The interview was to work on track and trace with a local authority in my area, so it was standard questions about my IT skills, how I would deal with a difficult customer, organisational skills etc.

The second was also a temporary admin role with a different local authority near me, and I did have my camera on for that. Again, it was standard interview questions such as dealing with a difficult customer, the top 3 skills I felt I could bring to the role, how I'd feel about working from home.

The third was for a legal role and it was one of the most relaxed interviews ever. They didn't really ask me much, it was more of a chat regarding how I found the university course I've just completed, why I left my previous roles and discussing my dissertation.

I was offered all 3 positions but have taken the third role. I actually love video interviews compared to in person, I found it so much easier to relax whereas in face to face interviews my nerves usually let me down a lot.

Reactions: 6
I've interviewed a lot of people over the years and in my view the best candidates are those who are friendly and approachable, confident but not cocky, and comfortable in their own skin. It's to be expected that most interviewees will be nervous, and most interviewers will take that into consideration.

My key pieces of advice are:
  • Research the company you are applying to: How many staff do they have? How many branches? Are they multi-national? What are their future plans? Most of this should be able to be found on their website (if they have one), or Linkedin Profile (if they have one). Also take time to read through the job description carefully.
  • Greet your interviewer(s) with a warm smile, hold eye contact. If you're meeting in person and they extend their hand or elbow, respond accordingly.
  • Practice your response to the question, "Tell me about yourself." Keep it succinct, but interesting. An example: "I was born in x, grew up in x, and moved to x when I was x. In my spare time I like to x and x. I have been working in x for x and really love doing what I do." If you develop a warm and friendly rapport with the interviewer, they might ask you more about your hobbies.
  • From your CV, find a job that was most like the one you are being interviewed for, and practice the STAR method:
    1. Situation: What was it?
    2. Task: What was required?
    3. Action: What action did you take?
    4. Result: What was the result?
      • This is key, as the interviewer will likely ask you something along the lines of, "Tell me about a time ..." and you need to be able to recall the details quickly and concisely. As well as assessing your suitability for the job based on your experience and how you come across in the interview, the interviewer will judge you on your ability to answer questions on the spot.
  • Think of a couple of questions to ask the interviewer so when they ask if you have any questions, you are ready to go. Make a point of saying that you have undertaken research on the company and was impressed to see x; it's always a good idea to extend a compliment about their company from the research you have undertaken. From there, you could ask a question in relation to x. Be careful here though - you don't want the interviewer to feel silly by not being able to answer the question. For example, they might not have any idea about future revenue; they will, however, have a rough idea of what expansion plans might be underway for their branch. If you can find one or two things to ask about the job itself, great. But don't veer into the territory of asking questions such as, "When do I get paid?" or "How long would I get for lunch?"
  • Keep the interview professional. If the interviewer asks if you know such-and-such, don't divulge too much. It is perfectly fine to say you know the person from your time working with them in a professional capacity - and leave it at that.
  • Keep your presentation professional - don't overdo make-up, long nails, big hair, lots of jewellery ... just present the best conservative version of yourself. You can't go wrong with a white shirt with a collar (and if meeting in-person, a black bottom) and polished, closed-toe shoes.
  • If you are unsuccessful for the position, take the time to respond to the interviewee (through the agency, if you went through one - not direct), to say you appreciated their time and the opportunity to meet them. This is seen as extremely good etiquette and will put you in favour should a similar role pop up in the future (and you would not believe how often that happens, or how often the chosen candidate turns out to be a dud and you end up getting the job).
  • If you don't get this job, look at it as good experience, and have faith in the process that it wasn't meant to be.
Edited to add: If you did go through an agency and were not successful, don't be afraid to ask for feedback. Don't take whatever they tell you to heart; instead, look at the areas where the interviewer felt you were lacking, and make it your mission to work on those. Also, with the STAR technique, practice talking to your mirror (sounds funny, I know). But look in the mirror, hold the gaze, and explain the STAR. This will absolutely help when you do it in real life.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I like to treat an interview as an X factor audition. You have to fake it until you make it. Don’t be afraid to let your alter ego out in that room. If you’re asked a question and you’ve never done it, use an example and ham it up. Pretend. Show you can do it. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3
I would say look out for red flags at the interview. I went to one last year and the woman interviewing had got the interview time confused. She turned up with no shoes on and there was no room booked so we ended up in a tiny office space and basically it was a casual chat but it had no structure and was all kinda odd. Looking back the lack of organisation and totally unrelated questions to the role should of been a flag for me.

I took the job as I thought it would be good for me and my career. Turns out it was a massive mistake and for the 6 months I was there I cried nearly every day. (Thanks Covid for not letting me escape sooner). However I'm a stronger person from that awful job and I've learnt many lessons!

I had a job interview last Monday, it was online via teams on video which I found really difficult. In the past I have been ok in interview situations, am chatty, good eye contact etc but online was just horrible. I want the job so badly but I feel I messed up. They said I would hear end of the week/beginning of next and it’s now Tuesday and not heard anything. Assuming now I haven’t got the job and they are waiting for the person they’ve chosen to accept and sign their contract before rejecting others including me. So gutted and can’t stop playing it over hating myself. I despise my current job and I’m utterly miserable, cry every day, no longer see a point in life/don’t want to be here anymore but especially with covid now it feels like I’ll never get out of there 😩

• Heart
I had a job interview last Monday, it was online via teams on video which I found really difficult. In the past I have been ok in interview situations, am chatty, good eye contact etc but online was just horrible. I want the job so badly but I feel I messed up. They said I would hear end of the week/beginning of next and it’s now Tuesday and not heard anything. Assuming now I haven’t got the job and they are waiting for the person they’ve chosen to accept and sign their contract before rejecting others including me. So gutted and can’t stop playing it over hating myself. I despise my current job and I’m utterly miserable, cry every day, no longer see a point in life/don’t want to be here anymore but especially with covid now it feels like I’ll never get out of there 😩
Hey! Don't give up! Was it your first teams interview? I had something similar and it really put me off that I was on camera and could see myself! Most of the time when we feel like we've done terrible we normally haven't.
They still might be mulling over the candidates!

Its awful being in a job you dislike and you want to get out so badly! Dont give up!!

Reactions: 1
I've also changed jobs during all of this so some virtual tips.

Virtual:
  • Check your mic, camera and connection beforehand. Preferably get a pal to go on a call with you to see how things are.
  • If presenting, check in with the interviewer to see they can see your slides. Sometimes the fonts can be too hard to see so simply checking in will help determine that.
  • If the audio goes/connections chops - don't panic. This happens to them during their work meetings too. We are used to it. And aye it's awkward and off putting - but keep your cool. Offer to continue presenting, or perhaps have another tool available [free tools include skype and zoom free], showing that you can keep it together and have potential solutions.
  • If you are presenting, see if they have any media and brand guidelines available on their website and emulate their scheme/fonts. This often helps make a presentation stand out for already having the company feel.
  • If using Zoom, consider using a generic and not distracting Zoom background. This can help you get in the headspace as you're not worried about how your flat/bedroom/etc is looking.
  • And if the internet connection is too bad, and you can't continue, try to convey on the chat, and if that goes, send an email asap - saying you are eager to chat, apologise to chat, volunteer your slides if any, volunteer to record any questions. Basically lay out how flexible and accommodating you want to be for the interview to go ahead.

I am so sorry it was stressful and you're unhappy in your current gig. Maybe ask someone to have a look over your CV and LinkedIn? And if you haven't heard anything, you are perfectly within your right to write in to enquire what is the status of the role currently, to thank them for having given you the opportunity to speak with them, and to reinforce that you are still interested and if there are any questions about your candidature you are more than happy to chat.

It will get better hen!

Hey! Don't give up! Was it your first teams interview? I had something similar and it really put me off that I was on camera and could see myself! Most of the time when we feel like we've done terrible we normally haven't.
They still might be mulling over the candidates!

Its awful being in a job you dislike and you want to get out so badly! Dont give up!!
If you have another one, maybe try putting another window over yourself?

I went onto Teams with my boyfriend before my first interview to check my camera and mic worked ok and I could see the positioning and I knew I'd find it offputting being able to see myself so I placed an open word document over myself. I wrote a few notes to myself too to make sure I remembered to mention certain things, but obviously didn't write loads as I still wanted to sound natural in my answers, but you could just leave it blank if you didn't want to do that!

The best thing I ever realised about job interviews is that if you get to the interview stage you are more than likely qualified for the job, that should take some pressure off.

The interview stage is more often to get a feel for you as a person and ensure you are the right fit for the role and the team. Once I realised that (through being the interviewer and seeing it from another perspective) it made me relax a lot about the process. It made me not take it personally if I didn’t get a role.

I have interviewed some of the loveliest and most qualified people but upon meeting them they were either too timid or too ballsy for the team they would be part of. Neither being timid nor ballsy are negative traits and both serve their purpose they just weren’t what I needed at those particular times. I hope that makes sense?

For me as a manager it is so important I find the people that will fit well and improve our existing team and if my team already has a lot of strong characters I need to get the balance right with someone that is strong but not confrontational. Also I work with clients so it is about making sure the person will also gel well with the client team too.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but im after any advice for work related issue. Basically i've been offered to begin a qualification at work its around 18 months in total and i don't know how to decline it gracefully without making it obvious i intend to leave. I have something lined up for the spring but its not something i wanted to disclose until the required 1 month notice period. I feel like whatever way i turn it down it will make it awkward at work. For info i'm in a entry level type role and i've been there under 1 year.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but im after any advice for work related issue. Basically i've been offered to begin a qualification at work its around 18 months in total and i don't know how to decline it gracefully without making it obvious i intend to leave. I have something lined up for the spring but its not something i wanted to disclose until the required 1 month notice period. I feel like whatever way i turn it down it will make it awkward at work. For info i'm in a entry level type role and i've been there under 1 year.
You could say that due to personal reasons you don't feel that you could give it the right level of commitment at the moment?

I would try and hold off saying you plan on leaving, it depends how close you are to your manager maybe say personal reasons/your not in the right headspace at the moment?

I'm resurrecting this thread ... hope no one minds.

I've got an interview next week for a part-time sales assistant job. My first job interview in 15 years, so I'm very rusty.
I've been researching typical questions asked by the company on websites like Indeed (I'm interviewing at a charity shop), but there's so many that I'm tying myself in knots now trying to remember answers to them all 😬
I've been out of paid work for a long time due to illness, so that's worrying me too. I have done stuff in those years, like created a small business where I sell from home, and done volunteering online. I'm worried that I won't remember the experience I have from previous employment, for questions like tell me when you delivered good customer service, or tell me when you've used you initiative and changed something to make something better. I'm rubbish at coming up with answers on the spot.
Anyone have any tips? Especially if you've not interviewed for a long time?

I'm resurrecting this thread ... hope no one minds.

I've got an interview next week for a part-time sales assistant job. My first job interview in 15 years, so I'm very rusty.
I've been researching typical questions asked by the company on websites like Indeed (I'm interviewing at a charity shop), but there's so many that I'm tying myself in knots now trying to remember answers to them all 😬
I've been out of paid work for a long time due to illness, so that's worrying me too. I have done stuff in those years, like created a small business where I sell from home, and done volunteering online. I'm worried that I won't remember the experience I have from previous employment, for questions like tell me when you delivered good customer service, or tell me when you've used you initiative and changed something to make something better. I'm rubbish at coming up with answers on the spot.
Anyone have any tips? Especially if you've not interviewed for a long time?
First of all, well done for getting this far! They clearly think you’ve the skills they’re looking for otherwise they wouldn’t be interviewing you.

Secondly, sounds like you have more than enough experience.

Thirdly, take a breath. When they ask you a question, breathe. If you don’t breathe, your brain won’t work as well… no harm in taking some time to formulate your answer. They want to know a) you’ve not got two heads and b) you’re customer focussed. You will probably find that when/if they give you a “can you tell us about a time when XYZ…” question, your memory bank will dig deep to find the time when you XYZ.

You can do this 💪

• Heart
Thanks @Ohflogoff :)

Breathing is a good tip because I know I always try to answer quickly. I don't know why ... maybe I think they'll wonder if I'm making stuff up if I have to think about it for too long.

Great thread!

Does anyone have any examples of questions an interviewer would ask for line managers? I’ve got an interview next week for a marketing manager position at a travel brand, I’m currently at officer level so would be a step up and I don’t have line management experience.