Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's dire, and so inappropriate for her target audience. I also think about people with literacy issues, or non-native English speakers - I often follow recipes in Catalan or Spanish, and I would give up immediately if they were written Jack-style.

Recipes are not novels. As you say, that SEO babble can go elsewhere on the page, but the recipe itself should always be clear and concise.

Reactions: 43
What I don’t understand is, why she can relay a Yorkshire pudding recipe/method, but in the photographs of hers, they’re sad, flaccid looking husks. So does she copy the recipe from somewhere else but not actually do it?
Her fruit cocktail yorkies were sad, flaccid looking husks too, so presumably she's used the same method (the one which doesn't involve buying Aunt Bessies).

Reactions: 31
That second recipe, bloody hell. If I had to cook using that as a guide I think I'd have to go through and rewrite it myself. Imagine going to double check temperature or measurements and having to read through that shite?

Reactions: 27
adam frost is too nice - Geoff Hamilton would not take that shit

Didn’t someone invent some sort of web doodad that finds the recipe among all the word salad and saves you time. Bloggers were pissed

Reactions: 26
Well, well, well. The power of being a moderator has gone straight to your head. (Joking, I agree x)

https://giphy.com/P7qFEMh3TLMGY

Reactions: 44
She referred to the radio play with June Whitfield as 'the dramatisation of my first book'. In the introduction she says she had fantastic cookery teachers and left with the 'gentle confidence that I knew my way around a carton of chopped tomatoes' - didn't she say recently she was no good at cookery in school?

Reactions: 40
My old uni lecturers used to mark you down for excessive words that had little to do with the topic.

Reactions: 33
insert the piece of paper!

sorry @Whaa?
2 posts merged

Reactions: 13
She intimated that she was too poor to do well in home ec at school - pupils would have to bring in the ingredients, and if a recipe called for marscapone, her mum would give her some babybel instead
ETA also obviously she couldn't follow a recipe, because of her maverick brain.

Reactions: 46
Jennifer rated it it was ok
7 months ago

IDK why I keep picking up her cookbooks. More oddball combos of ingredients resulting in unappealing recipes that seem inedible even in concept. I' m afraid I will never get over seeing her propose a pasta and tinned mandarin dish,, (not this title) (less)

Jennifer gave the book two stars on Goodreads.

Reactions: 47
Jennifer, are you here? Give us a sign!
https://giphy.com/xUA7bjNHJSqQfHQRB6

Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.