Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

elangamai

Sorry for the double posts but I just came across this comment on Dakota's channel and I think it just sums it up:

Screenshot 2022-08-20 19.42.24.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34

Mark81

VIP Member
Is it just me or do they try way too hard to show they are book people, to the point it actually convinces me they arent

• Heart
Reactions: 34

gossip_guy

VIP Member
Not super invested in Jack, but just wondering - how do we know he's a Tory?

I just thought he was a little pretentious, didn't know he was the Alfie Deyes of Booktube.
He came out a while back saying something like "If you vote Labour without familiarising yourself with Conservative policy, then don't talk to me".

He fell over himself rushing to appear on GB News - the UK's disastrous right-wing news channel equivalent of Fox News - and signal-boosted their hateful bullshit just to hype that he'd be on TV (on a network that only a handful of hateful Nazis watch, and sometimes nobody at all is watching). When criticised for it, he claimed it was to "challenge their views", but spent the whole appearance like a nodding dog, laughing along at their bad jokes, mostly agreeing with them and grinning like a moron who was happy to be there.

He's also mates with Tory scumbag and fellow Durham graduate Tom Harwood, who works at GB News and undoubtedly got Jack the guest appearance gig.

He'll never admit it, since it'd be influencer career suicide to out himself as a Tory, but all signs point to it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 31

MarthaBartha

Oh wow. You can tell he HATED every scamming little minute of that fake-pology video. But I loved it. So glib, so insincere. So his true colours.
It was all “me” and “I”. Not about the ones who matter - the paying minions.
The “turbulent” few months Jack? Really? Swanning around Europe and American like a Tory coke whore was too turbulent for you to reply to some comments and make some Q&A videos which you magically rustled up in 48 hours.

yuck

• Haha
Reactions: 29
D38646FC-F989-4B10-8A30-C280092E8BBA.jpeg

Someone made a video saying they don’t trust people who recommend A Little Life and they were having none of Jack lmaoo

• Haha
Reactions: 28

gossip_guy

VIP Member
I'm also a big fan of the way that he keeps paying lip service to how much he loves and supports diversity and is such an ally, then made yet another knock-off celebrity book video and his parade of 'Hollywood heartthrobs' is all white guys with dark hair.

Screenshot_20230326_085522_YouTube.jpg

• Haha

mendelsz

I’m guessing he’s shading Hannah from A Clockwork Reader here

2C8E321B-DF4F-41CB-8988-069C30E2B611.jpeg

Maybe he’s mad this raises the bar because she actually reads the books and gives meaningful commentary instead of skimming through it and making puns.

• Wow
  • Haha

fwooper

VIP Member
I'm not surprised that he botched the response to this. He's never been able to handle a modicum of criticism - I remember when he claimed someone had made a video criticising him and it made him feel terrible, and we found the video he was talking about and it was a guy ranking studytubers and he put Jack in the 'C' category. The guy mentioned Jack for all of 10 seconds and didn't even say anything negative, yet Jack talked about it like it was a personal hate video.

This is small fry in terms of influencer controversies and he could have resolved it easily, but because he is convinced he has done nothing wrong and perceives any criticism as hate, he's responding to the valid criticism with a tone of bitterness and it's making it worse.

• Haha
Reactions: 27

anastasia1989

Jack asking which edition of War & Peace to buy based on the cover is such a perfect example of his approach to books, study, and his whole career. All style over substance. The two editions he is deciding between are two completely different translations. He has no interest in finding out which translation people prefer. No, he’s just interested in which edition will look better sitting unread on his sad little book trolley.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Just here to say

Chatty Member
Screenshot_20230206_200255_com.instagram.android_edit_1126501145278624.jpg

I find it a BIG coincidence that Emmie just spoke about her new obsessions with hotels and how they act as temporary spaces etc. she made so many thoughtful comments about this topic and that she is writing a book set in a hotel and suddenly here is Jack (who never expressed his thoughts on hotels/apartamnts/airbnbs before) saying he is exploring this in his "novel".....

• Wow
Reactions: 26

Just here to say

Chatty Member
The people commenting "awww don't overwork yourself" make me vom. Jack would never let himself be overworked, don't worry 😂

This is why they never learn from their mistakes... Too many Yes men will make him do a membership comeback or some other "business venture" in a few months.

Also people that comment "I was a member to support you never expected extra content"??? They must be plants. It's super convenient for 3 comments saying exactly that to be there in the first 30 mins of this video being posted. Either plants or crazies.

• Haha
Reactions: 25

gossip_guy

VIP Member
He's looking very tanned lately isn't he. In my fantasy we play a game where he has to remove a piece of clothing for every book he owns that he hasn't read.
Jack if he had to remove a layer for every book he owns that he hasn't read:

skeleton-reading-books-on-white.jpg

• Haha

CHAMPIONOF

people were rightfully calling him out in the comments for how extortionately priced that tier system was and he's deleted the video lol

• Haha
  • Wow

mindlessness

VIP Member
Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 1.24.18 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 1.24.26 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 1.24.36 pm.png

I feel like this OP on reddit is giving him a bit too much grace tbh. But if they paid for his BS membership they obviously like (liked?) him so perhaps that's why.

Can't help but laugh at the 'free digital products' from a half-closed company to make up for this too.

• Haha

urfavepisces

Chatty Member
The fact he's planning to read an arc of a book that comes out in January around March/April because "by then there will be some discourse about it". Not at all so he doesn't have to come out with an opinion of his own of course.

• Haha
  • Sick

StatusWoe

VIP Member
I heard Jack had a queeny little fit on some booktuber livestream who were covering the scandal.
---
Lol he's angry.

If this is the worst thing he's experienced then he must live in a literal bubble. The term 'platforming hatred' usually refers to media outlets giving a voice to white supremacists, homophobes and similar - hardly applicable to his situation! Interestingly, Jack was not so concerned about platforming hatred when he appeared on GB News, a channel so notorious as a bigoted cesspit that Stop Funding Hate regularly calls for advertisers to boycott it.

Disclaimer: I can't check if these were his real comments because the stream's not there. :(

Reactions: 24

Just here to say

Chatty Member
Booktubers seem very anti-kindle (obviously there are exceptions) and he already said several times that he didn't want to unhaul certain books in case he needed to talk about them in videos... he could just put the picture on the screen but maybe that's not aesthetic enough
This is the little toxic part of book tube because people assume that if you're a reader you have to have bookshelves and stacks of books everywhere, or buy so many. The only book tuber I've seen who has literally 3 books in her house is Cindy from withcindy. She uses the library. Like an intelligent person. I love having physical books and sure, the ones I love i want to keep, but I can't keep falling into the trap of buying books I'm never likely to read. All the other book tubers have SO MANY SHELVES FULL!!

Reactions: 24