Is the BBC and other channels WOKE.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So do you think that would happen if the best person for playing Martin Luther King was white?
i mean, i said that in my post:

“sometimes that person may not be white (obviously this is restrictions permitting if they’re playing a real person)”

when actual historical inaccuracy comes into play (in something that claims to be an accurate retelling of events) or that casting someone of a different race completely changes the whole “story” of that person (such as casting mlk as white) then restrictions have to come into play. this isn’t the same as casting doctor who/james bond etc.

Reactions: 3
my main issue with the idea of “woke” is that it indirectly invalidates any type of non-white casting. the new doctor who was immediately shouted down as woke casting with absolutely no consideration that he may genuinely have been the best person who auditioned. open casting has to work all ways in that the best person for the part gets the part. sometimes that person may not be white (obviously this is restrictions permitting if they’re playing a real person). i don’t particularly like when people are immediately discredited as being a woke casting. if the new james bond is a poc then i fully expect the same thing to happen.
That wasn't why people criticised the new Dr Who.

It was because of what Russell T Davis said at the unveiling of Ncuti Gatwa.

By now people know it is fan baiting.
But frankly for a show that is so flat on it's arse that they had to bring back David Tennnent, with the worst viewing figures it has ever had, and worst of all it has a fan base that is apathetic.... for them to think that fan baiting is a good strategy is nuts.

In fact most people were rather optimistic that Sony were producing the show, that Russell T Davis was returning... especially after Chibnall and Jodie Whitaker (whose biggest problem wasn't that she was a woman (well if you ignore the fan baiting bullshit she came out with in interviews), but that she had an unfortunate lip curl that meant she spent half the time sneering - which is never a good look for a hero)

People can see Ncuti Gatwa is black but instead of talking about the character, we get all the usual passive aggressiveness and cliches...
And then we get "oh and he's gay too"... as if Captain Jack isn't a thing ... and no one has seen Queer as Folk.
And fair enough people probably don't want to watch rimming over the Tardis console on a Saturday teatime, but I'm sure the odd bit of male gaze won't lead to an implosion of civilisation.

But more to the point...
It isn't new.
It isn't exciting.
And Mr Gatwa isn't employed to be representative of anything other than Dr Who.

Oh and stand by for the PR nonsense about bringing in a new audience.
Oh yeah....
And the storylines about Trump, Global Warming and Brexit... you know.... the same storylines that wrecked Star Trek and Star Wars.
And marvel (pun intended) when the new audience doesn't materialise... and the already apathetic pre-existing audience doesn't bother to watch.

As for "i don’t particularly like when people are immediately discredited as being a woke casting."
Blame the guidelines, that for some reason the people who complain about the people who complain about woke pretend don't exist.
I'll pick Amazon film studios as an example....

" Are you casting a person whose identity matches the role they are playing?
E.g., are you casting a person of Puerto Rican heritage to play a character who is Colombian
? "

That is the same Amazon, that hid unfavourable reviews, made up stories about review bombing (ignoring it required having an Amazon subscription in order to leave a negative review) and has had the cast of Rings of Power for the past few months bitching about the audience and banging on about racism and how they have the first female dwarf of colour (no they don't), and picking a fight over a black elf.

When in reality whatever criticism there was on these matters has long since passed, to the more general complaint that show was pretentious, non-sensical, generic, has nothing to do with Tolkein, and most importantly is boring.

At which point clicking on another tab on the Amazon website....
We find this...

And laughably this caution when casting "black characters"...

" Are they presented in positions that are linked to entertaining others? "

Not in Rings of Power they aren't.

And by the time Doctor Who has spent the obligatory first season reminding the audience that Ncuti Gatwa (who was good in Sex Education) is black, that racism is a thing, that white people are evil (mainly on account of being the only people allowed to be cast in such roles (which is good news for white character actors)), that Donald Trump is a threat to democracy, and that Brexit is whatever contagion it is supposed to be this week....

It doesn't take a genius to work out that by the end of the first season Mr Gatwa won't be presented in a position linked with entertaining others either.
And he'll be fan baiting with the best of them.

Reactions: 9
to be fair to bridgerton, i don’t think it claims to be historically accurate. it’s a completely fabricated version of regency life, in both the books and the show. they’re all dancing to string quartet versions of ariana grande after all (not to mention walking around without chaperones if you want to get deeper into it).

my main issue with the idea of “woke” is that it indirectly invalidates any type of non-white casting. the new doctor who was immediately shouted down as woke casting with absolutely no consideration that he may genuinely have been the best person who auditioned. open casting has to work all ways in that the best person for the part gets the part. sometimes that person may not be white (obviously this is restrictions permitting if they’re playing a real person). i don’t particularly like when people are immediately discredited as being a woke casting. if the new james bond is a poc then i fully expect the same thing to happen.
Would you not agree that to choose a POC to play James Bond would actually encourage the idea of woke casting ? Taking woke to this level just seems so trivial to me. To most of the population the character is white. It is when ideas go too far, that there is a backlash, no matter the good intent. POC have been treated abominably over the centuries, this just does not seem the way to improve matters.

Reactions: 7
I don't think the BBC is especially 'woke' tbh. I'd certainly put itv and c4 ahead in that score If we forced to compare. Also Anne Boleyn wasn't the BBC it was C5.

My only issues with box ticking are when it's so laughably blatant and they have one of every demographic, that university prospectus situation where you see one of every type of student sitting together (which doesn't happen in real life). It just doesn't feel authentic. Also when the moral and message is handled so obviously its hitting the audience over the head, no one can write subtle messages in strong stories anymore. It's often moral of the week in lecture form

I personally like historical dramas to be as historically accurate as possibly to make history come alive and be authentic, so for me the look of actors playing the role is important. But I can appreciate its also nice to open up other races to roles they may not get to play, but I'd personally be less likely to watch if not historically accurate.

Reactions: 16
Do you have counter evidence? Do you know for a fact that there are not people sitting in boardrooms looking at a list of names to choose from, going back and forward making sure that every aspect of inclusion is covered ? Or is that your subjective opinion ?
A response in general, not against you or your post.

I get sick and tired of demands for 'evidence' from those that don't agree with others.

Especially when those that demand 'evidence' aren't so forthcoming with it themselves.

Reactions: 4
A response in general, not against you or your post.

I get sick and tired of demands for 'evidence' from those that don't agree with others.

Especially when those that demand 'evidence' aren't so forthcoming with it themselves.
Oh, me too, this was my response to someone who asked me for evidence. 😉

Would you not agree that to choose a POC to play James Bond would actually encourage the idea of woke casting ? Taking woke to this level just seems so trivial to me. To most of the population the character is white. It is when ideas go too far, that there is a backlash, no matter the good intent. POC have been treated abominably over the centuries, this just does not seem the way to improve matters.
Tbf, if you’re watching a Bond film then you need to be prepared to suspend your disbelief quite severely. It’s not like Roger Moore and Daniel Craig look very very alike, is it?

I personally like the theory that ‘James Bond’ is just a codename.

Reactions: 6
i would disagree and i’m not sure what you mean by “to this level” and “too far”. it’s literally just casting a fictional character. this really just proves my earlier point that any type of minority casting gets downplayed and invalidated as “woke”.

if rege-jean page is cast (going from the bookies odds) it will be because he’s handsome, has a bond-ish vibe, and has a decent amount of hype behind him. likewise with henry golding (to pick another from the list). the fact that you would already believe that casting to be “trivial” is the other side of the woke agenda tbh. to blindly believe all poc casting is “woke” is to completely discount that casting. and, especially in a bond context, i don’t get it. it’s possible for poc to be cast on their own merits.

james bond has stayed the same age for about 60 years so i don’t think he can even be claimed to be the same character at this point. the theory that it’s just a code name makes the most sense. likewise, sticking to white actors because all the actors before have been white makes little sense.

Last edited:
Oh, me too, this was my response to someone who asked me for evidence. 😉
It is very much a case of this:

"I demand to see your evidence that the BBC is bias!"

"Where is your evidence to prove that it isn't?"

"Err, I don't have any, but I still demand to see your evidence - otherwise my opinion is more valid than yours."

--------

As for the topic in hand.

The BBC is bias and full of virtual signalling.

If I could watch TV without having to pay the BBC licence fee tax, I would.

I hardly watch or listen to any BBC content nowadays. I want to make up my own mind on things. Not be told what I should think by the BBC.

Reactions: 5
We gave up our TV licence over 2 years ago now, purley because of our angst at the BBC, how it has become, how biased it is in broadcasting and more so the horrific cover ups it has been involved in.

It was a huge decision based on the fact would we miss watching live TV. I have to say I have not missed watching live TV once. We watched a bit on Netflix, then discovered YouTube and there are some people on their who publish vlogs that are a million times better than the dross BBC churns out.

Reactions: 12
i would disagree and i’m not sure what you mean by “to this level” and “too far”. it’s literally just casting a fictional character. this really just proves my earlier point that any type of minority casting gets downplayed and invalidated as “woke”.

if rege-jean page is cast (going from the bookies odds) it will be because he’s handsome, has a bond-ish vibe, and has a decent amount of hype behind him. likewise with henry golding (to pick another from the list). the fact that you would already believe that casting to be “trivial” is the other side of the woke agenda tbh. to blindly believe all poc casting is “woke” is to completely discount that casting. and, especially in a bond context, i don’t get it. it’s possible for poc to be cast on their own merits.

james bond has stayed the same age for about 60 years so i don’t think he can even be claimed to be the same character at this point. the theory that it’s just a code name makes the most sense. likewise, sticking to white actors because all the actors before have been white makes little sense.
It is trivial, and too far because it is unnecessary and is going to do nothing for the cause of POC. It is not going to change the world. It is piffle. Like throwing a crumb to a starving man. Let’s make Othello white, and gay, that might bring in a new audience. And why not go further with Bond, make him gay too. It’s perhaps time that the Bond Girls made way for the Bond Boys.
However, if Rege-Jene Page is cast as Bond, then, personally I will be thrilled, it might make me watch the films again he is very handsome, and a talented actor. I am of an age that Sean Connery is Bond, and even he didn’t do it for me.
I really cannot see where you get the idea that I think all POC casting as woke, the idea is utterly preposterous. Possibly, most of the leading men I rank highly are black, and I have never dreamt that they were chosen for roles because of their colour. Where woke raises it’s head is where a traditionally white role is changed suddenly to a black one, or a historically straight role is suddenly gay. I will stick to my guns in believing this is a deliberate ploy to be inclusive. POC, I am sure , have no difficulty finding parts they can play. Excellent parts.
Anyway, let’s go back to Strictly for a moment, and mention the beautiful Hamza. Posters were complaining that he was overmarked, I agreed, and offered an explanation. Personally I wouldn’t care if every contestant was black, gay or had a disability. I have only just realise that Molly is mixed race. Does it stop me from giving her my vote? No. I have been voting for Hamza, Molly and Kym from the start. What I object to, on principal , is being manipulated by the media. But there is one contestant who I really objected to, and that was Jayde. She was kept in the show because of no other reason that she was very overweight. Doing it for the big girls ? Is little Helen doing it for the petite girls ? And Shirley with her “You are an outstanding dancer “. 😂 If anything shone a big light on wokery, it was that. She went home because viewers realised just how far she was up her own backside, and stopped voting for her. And eventually the judges had to send her home.
Woke is not just about colour, I think that is where you are off kilter with my opinions. If Ellie had been voted off in week one, do you seriously believe the BBC would not have received criticism? Especially with the footballer, sorry his name escapes me, was pretty poor, and stayed in.
The posts I have made have been aimed at the general ‘inclusion at all costs’ attitude, and are not indicative of my own personal feelings. But obviously theoretical debate is off the cards. I saw that someone had queried if a poster had said there should be no disabled people, and less black people. I am really tempted by an eye roll emoji here, but it is rude. I would like to say ffs, but I may do that if I am represented wrongly again.
I wonder what minority will arrive in Strictly next. Perhaps we will have a contestant who is trans. They will dance the male part one week, and the female part the week after. They will be given two professional partners, otherwise it would be unfair. And before you accuse me of being against trans people, can I say loud and clear, I don’t care if someone is trans , that is their business and nothing to do with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
We gave up our TV licence over 2 years ago now, purley because of our angst at the BBC, how it has become, how biased it is in broadcasting and more so the horrific cover ups it has been involved in.

It was a huge decision based on the fact would we miss watching live TV. I have to say I have not missed watching live TV once. We watched a bit on Netflix, then discovered YouTube and there are some people on their who publish vlogs that are a million times better than the dross BBC churns out.
Giving up television is remarkably easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Minorities should be represented, after all, we should be all seen as equal in this world. Even the word ‘minority’ is derisive.
However, it is believed , by myself and many others, that those in the boardrooms, the programme planners , are choosing contestants because they are ticking boxes.
I mean the ethnic makeup of the UK has changed so much over the past few years - in London, the city associated with the country the most as the capital, only 1/3 said they were White British. The number of people in England and Wales identifying as white has fallen by around 500,000 in a decade. Less than half of the popular identify as Christians. So I guess these shows are just becoming representative of what’s happening?

Reactions: 5
Linear TV is very easy, especially with all the streaming options now available.

You can also watch BBC channels on apps such as TV Player without a licence. There is around a 10+ second delay on the live broadcast, for which this is not classed as live TV - which is what the licence covers.

I mean the ethnic makeup of the UK has changed so much over the past few years - in London, the city associated with the country the most as the capital, only 1/3 said they were White British. The number of people in England and Wales identifying as white has fallen by around 500,000 in a decade. Less than half of the popular identify as Christians. So I guess these shows are just becoming representative of what’s happening?
Certainly, It feels silly now to call POC a minority. They are where I live, but I’m not in a city. I can remember when I lived in London in the seventies, I could be the only white person in a very large tube compartment. I still believe though, that the programme planners would go to great lengths not to have an all white line up. Because there would be criticism from pressure groups.

It is, if I am home alone, I never watch it, I much prefer a book

Certainly, It feels silly now to call POC a minority. They are where I live, but I’m not in a city. I can remember when I lived in London in the seventies, I could be the only white person in a very large tube compartment. I still believe though, that the programme planners would go to great lengths not to have an all white line up. Because there would be criticism from pressure groups.
I don't know why you bothered to react to that dimwit trope.

• Haha
I don't know why you bothered to react to that dimwit trope.
What do you mean by dimwit trope? You can have any set of beliefs you want but if you don’t bother to counter an argument and just insult people/say their idea is stupid, it’s often you that ends up looking stupid. It makes it look as if you can’t come up with a proper response so resort to mud-slinging. At least be civil.

• Heart
  • Haha
It is trivial, and too far because it is unnecessary and is going to do nothing for the cause of POC. It is not going to change the world. It is piffle. Like throwing a crumb to a starving man. Let’s make Othello white, and gay, that might bring in a new audience. And why not go further with Bond, make him gay too. It’s perhaps time that the Bond Girls made way for the Bond Boys.
However, if Rege-Jene Page is cast as Bond, then, personally I will be thrilled, it might make me watch the films again he is very handsome, and a talented actor. I am of an age that Sean Connery is Bond, and even he didn’t do it for me.
I really cannot see where you get the idea that I think all POC casting as woke, the idea is utterly preposterous. Possibly, most of the leading men I rank highly are black, and I have never dreamt that they were chosen for roles because of their colour. Where woke raises it’s head is where a traditionally white role is changed suddenly to a black one, or a historically straight role is suddenly gay. I will stick to my guns in believing this is a deliberate ploy to be inclusive. POC, I am sure , have no difficulty finding parts they can play. Excellent parts.
Anyway, let’s go back to Strictly for a moment, and mention the beautiful Hamza. Posters were complaining that he was overmarked, I agreed, and offered an explanation. Personally I wouldn’t care if every contestant was black, gay or had a disability. I have only just realise that Molly is mixed race. Does it stop me from giving her my vote? No. I have been voting for Hamza, Molly and Kym from the start. What I object to, on principal , is being manipulated by the media. But there is one contestant who I really objected to, and that was Jayde. She was kept in the show because of no other reason that she was very overweight. Doing it for the big girls ? Is little Helen doing it for the petite girls ? And Shirley with her “You are an outstanding dancer “. 😂 If anything shone a big light on wokery, it was that. She went home because viewers realised just how far she was up her own backside, and stopped voting for her. And eventually the judges had to send her home.
Woke is not just about colour, I think that is where you are off kilter with my opinions. If Ellie had been voted off in week one, do you seriously believe the BBC would not have received criticism? Especially with the footballer, sorry his name escapes me, was pretty poor, and stayed in.
The posts I have made have been aimed at the general ‘inclusion at all costs’ attitude, and are not indicative of my own personal feelings. But obviously theoretical debate is off the cards. I saw that someone had queried if a poster had said there should be no disabled people, and less black people. I am really tempted by an eye roll emoji here, but it is rude. I would like to say ffs, but I may do that if I am represented wrongly again.
I wonder what minority will arrive in Strictly next. Perhaps we will have a contestant who is trans. They will dance the male part one week, and the female part the week after. They will be given two professional partners, otherwise it would be unfair. And before you accuse me of being against trans people, can I say loud and clear, I don’t care if someone is trans , that is their business and nothing to do with me.
i don’t think i’m ever going to change your mind on this (or that you will change mine) - but i do appreciate you always giving civil and detailed responses, and always being polite. for that reason though, and because i don’t want you to feel like you’re being misrepresented if we continue (or for me to start nitpicking), i’ll bow out of the conversation. just didn’t want to ignore your post!