Is it “normal” to feel this exhausted after work?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Every day when I finish work I just want to lie down. I usually have a headache, am ravenously hungry and my eyes just won’t stay open. I have no motivation and it’s so hard to do anything with my evening. I’ll get the odd day where I feel alright, but most evenings are a write off at the moment. I have a stressful job but it’s not long hours, and I get about 7/8 hours sleep a night. I can never arrange to do anything after work as I just don’t know what I’ll feel like. I’m taking pain daily for headaches (which is an issue in itself!) and usually have fallen asleep on the sofa by 9pm. I feel like I’m 80 years old at 32 😂 Whenever I tell people they say they’re the same?! Is this normal then, I feel like it can’t be! How do people look after kids and work second jobs?!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Have you had your iron levels checked? Low iron could contribute to the tiredness and can cause headaches (albeit not so commonly).

Reactions: 3
Have you had your iron levels checked? Low iron could contribute to the tiredness and can cause headaches (albeit not so commonly).
I haven’t recently, a couple years ago I gave blood and my iron was fine then. I thought the main symptom of low iron was breathlessness which I don’t have so I have never thought to get my levels checked again. I do take iron supplements anyway but maybe they are not absorbing as well as they should be!

I haven’t recently, a couple years ago I gave blood and my iron was fine then. I thought the main symptom of low iron was breathlessness which I don’t have so I have never thought to get my levels checked again. I do take iron supplements anyway but maybe they are not absorbing as well as they should be!
I think it’s iron you are supposed to pair with vitamin c to help absorption, so you could try that. A few years ago my MIL was told (while giving blood and found iron levels to be low) not to drink tea after eating as that can affect iron absorption too.

But if you take supplements I guess it’s unlikely to be that anyway!

How long have you felt like this? Are you in the UK?

lockdown has made me adapt some weird habits and problems I never had before. I used to be the worlds best sleeper now I’m lucky if I get a full night, most days I’m irritable and snappy which is completely unlike me. My point being is that lockdown could be majorly affecting you without you realising? :(

Reactions: 5
Yes I think it’s normal, I’m always tired. Can’t use work as an excuse either at the moment, I’m furloughed.

Get yourself checked by your GP. I personally don’t think it’s normal to be so fatigued daily. Yes we all have burn out but you sound really exhausted - it could be a range of things (iron levels like someone has said being the most likely) but other things can present as tiredness too early on. Obviously if you’ve felt like this for years then it’s probably nothing to worry about but if it’s a sudden onset I would get yourself looked over just in case. Xx

Reactions: 1
I think if your job is mentally draining then that can make you feel permanently tired, whereas a physical/manual job but very low stress you would probably have more energy after work. Depression can also make you feel very tired.

it’s definitely worth getting a blood test to check iron, sodium and everything in general. I know when my iron is low I am very tired and I also feel very cold.
have you had your eyes tested recently? It’s worth having an eye test if you are getting daily headaches.
make sure you are drinking enough too, water or squash if you don’t like plain water like me!
I’m the same age as you and often feel very tired but I have underlying health conditions and have chronic insomnia 😂

Do go and get an MOT just to put your mind at rest and rule out anything xx

I would go to your GP... I have a underactive thyroid and your symptoms sound v familiar x

Reactions: 2
Every day when I finish work I just want to lie down. I usually have a headache, am ravenously hungry and my eyes just won’t stay open. I have no motivation and it’s so hard to do anything with my evening. I’ll get the odd day where I feel alright, but most evenings are a write off at the moment. I have a stressful job but it’s not long hours, and I get about 7/8 hours sleep a night. I can never arrange to do anything after work as I just don’t know what I’ll feel like. I’m taking pain daily for headaches (which is an issue in itself!) and usually have fallen asleep on the sofa by 9pm. I feel like I’m 80 years old at 32 😂 Whenever I tell people they say they’re the same?! Is this normal then, I feel like it can’t be! How do people look after kids and work second jobs?!
What is your diet like, and what are you eating & drinking during the day?

When did you last have your vision checked? You shouldn’t have an ongoing sore head that you need to take pain relief for like that. You could be dehydrated but I’d get your vision checkd incase you are straining your eyes.

feeling tired or even exhausted occasionally is normal but no I wouldn’t say it’s normal to feel the way you describe with no obvious reason why.

Has something changed lately? Such as, having to commute when you didn't before; a new process to learn at work; something going on in your personal life; dietary, medication or weather changes ...? Because any of those things can affect your energy levels.

If your answer to that is "no," then I would suggest you get some bloods done to see what is going on. It could be that you're lacking in something that is easily fixable.

I literally could’ve written your post, OP. I was feeling the same since the start of the year, zero energy to do anything after work, barely managing to roll out of bed 10 mins before my first meeting in the morning and spending the weekend on the couch. Couch naps were all I did all the time, even with a full night of sleep.

I went to my GP two weeks ago and had blood tests done and she said my iron levels were high and she’s concerned about my thyroid so I’m going back for more bloods this week. Aside from that, the lack of energy and motivation (and general feeling down) she attributed to potentially depression. She recommended therapy but that wasn’t for me so she prescribed me an anti-depressant. Been on it nearly 2 weeks now and I just came back from a 40 minute post-work walk.

I obviously can’t speak to your situation but highly recommend speaking to your GP. I felt much better having spoken to her about how I was feeling and getting everything tested, and now today was the first day I properly had energy and a motivation to do something again.

Reactions: 2
Do you go to long without eating.?
If I get over- hungry, it really affects me , I end up feeling exhausted after I've eaten, it's like my blood sugar gets too low , and it takes ages to pull myself round again .
Maybe a snack between work and your evening meal. What time do you normally eat after work?

Personally, I would need more sleep overnight too.

Quality of sleep can make a difference, too.

Get your Vitamin D levels checked, its the end of winter and peak time for those to be on the low side

I literally could’ve written your post, OP. I was feeling the same since the start of the year, zero energy to do anything after work, barely managing to roll out of bed 10 mins before my first meeting in the morning and spending the weekend on the couch. Couch naps were all I did all the time, even with a full night of sleep.

I went to my GP two weeks ago and had blood tests done and she said my iron levels were high and she’s concerned about my thyroid so I’m going back for more bloods this week. Aside from that, the lack of energy and motivation (and general feeling down) she attributed to potentially depression. She recommended therapy but that wasn’t for me so she prescribed me an anti-depressant. Been on it nearly 2 weeks now and I just came back from a 40 minute post-work walk.

I obviously can’t speak to your situation but highly recommend speaking to your GP. I felt much better having spoken to her about how I was feeling and getting everything tested, and now today was the first day I properly had energy and a motivation to do something again.
Did your GP check Vitamin D levels before offering Anti depressants.

I don’t have any advice unfortunately but I’ve felt like this since my mid twenties (34 now). I used to say how can a 25 year old be THIS tired? I’d struggle to stay awake after work. I have a busy high pressure job but I’m the same when I’m off work too. Iron fine, I lack motivation and energy in general and it’s an issue in my relationship as I never want to walk the dog and put off small tasks round the house, which he ends up doing.
I put it down to low dopamine because my diet isn’t to blame either. Fruit, veg, bit of meat and home cooked food. I just have to consciously make an effort to do things otherwise I will happily sit and do nothing for days, which then in turn makes me feel worse. I’m also very unimpressed by things (we laugh and say it’s a family trait) but I will rarely get excited about things (I sound miserable, joke is if you spoke to me you’d think I was a right laugh. No one sees the tired mood swings at home! Just my partner) Baby due soon so wondering how I’ll be as a mum :/

I don’t have any advice unfortunately but I’ve felt like this since my mid twenties (34 now). I used to say how can a 25 year old be THIS tired? I’d struggle to stay awake after work. I have a busy high pressure job but I’m the same when I’m off work too. Iron fine, I lack motivation and energy in general and it’s an issue in my relationship as I never want to walk the dog and put off small tasks round the house, which he ends up doing.
I put it down to low dopamine because my diet isn’t to blame either. Fruit, veg, bit of meat and home cooked food. I just have to consciously make an effort to do things otherwise I will happily sit and do nothing for days, which then in turn makes me feel worse. I’m also very unimpressed by things (we laugh and say it’s a family trait) but I will rarely get excited about things (I sound miserable, joke is if you spoke to me you’d think I was a right laugh. No one sees the tired mood swings at home! Just my partner) Baby due soon so wondering how I’ll be as a mum :/
Please seek help from your GP because you sound like you are suffering from depression, and you don’t have to live like this. I’d get ahead of it now before the baby arrives. Be mindful of the drop in mood/feeling blue after birth and make sure you & your partner are clued up on post natal depression. I’d also talk about this with your midwife so that they and health visitors can be a support to you all

Can I just say it’s so nice to see how much this community cares 🥺 all of this advice and real concern is literally heart warming 💜

Reactions: 4
Maybe ask for your b12 levels to be checked as well as iron. I have a b12 deficiency and could barely function at 15 when I was first diagnosed. I now have injections every 12 weeks and I’m still tired but it’s a million times better