Is it just me? Narration on crime docs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just love a crime documentary. I'm currently watching the one on BBC2 this week about the drugs gang in Rochdale.

Does anyone else get jarred by the very particular style the narrators of these documentaries all seem to employ?

The pausing in the wrong place, the constant 'up' at the end of every sentence. Jacques Perreti was the worst culprit of this style and now it feels like every actor employed to narrate a crime documentary seems to go overboard with this style.

Shaun Dooley is the doing the narration of this one, and is doing my head in!

Reactions: 1
I like listening to Shaun Dooley in this one soz!
just finished it on iplayer and have gone to bed full of emotion šŸ„ŗ

I actually can't stand Shaun Dooley's voice on these documentaries! :oops:

It really jarred with me while I was watching The Detectives but I struggled through on what was a depressing and sad look at organised crime gangs.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I know what you mean! it must be a thing, but I do like Shaun Dooley's narration. I'm more bothered by the people they have involved tbh who try and be posh and are all like 'he left my residence to attend the residence of a comrade and then perished' like, yeah he went to his mates house and died, please be normal

Reactions: 3
There's a few things I've watched on sky crime channel with a woman who almost whispers & talks like she's explaining to a 3 year old, very annoying! I know she's only doing it the style she's been told to do, but I've got no idea why the production team think its a good idea!

I actually can't stand Shaun Dooley's voice on these documentaries! :oops:

It really jarred with me while I was watching The Detectives but I struggled through on what was a depressing and sad look at organised crime gangs.
Oh thank god, it's not just me after all! I'm sure he's a lovely man but his narration voice is a bit like fingernails down a blackboard for me. Loads of documentary narrators adopt this particular style too.

• Heart
The Detectives was such good telly. A real eye-opener and Iā€™m full of admiration for the police involved. Such a sad ending though.

I found that the narration irritated me for about five minutes into each ep. Then, I must have switched off a bit and found I didnā€™t notice it too much.