Irish Tattlers... HSE Data leak

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi fellow Irish people, I have been in a right state the last few days.
I have some very personal information surrounding procedures and health issues on my medical files. These things I have kept very private and even my closest family nemenera do not know about them.
Is anyone else worried about what information might be leaked from next Monday??
I am hearing people say let them publish the records, no one cares.
I care, if people see my data it will have a huge impact on my life and I don't know what I will do.
Please say other people are just as worried as me

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Hi fellow Irish people, I have been in a right state the last few days.
I have some very personal information surrounding procedures and health issues on my medical files. These things I have kept very private and even my closest family nemenera do not know about them.
Is anyone else worried about what information might be leaked from next Monday??
I am hearing people say let them publish the records, no one cares.
I care, if people see my data it will have a huge impact on my life and I don't know what I will do.
Please say other people are just as worried as me
I don't have much knowledge around the potential outcomes and implications of this hack but I saw on RTE earlier that there is a super injunction against any data being published on social media. What I can gather (but open to correction) is that if the data goes anywhere it will be onto the dark web. Again I'm open to correction but I don't visualise a scenario of family, friends, neighbours being made aware of individual health records, I don't know in what context it would happen?

Please try not to worry too much about this. I had a moment yesterday where I started to panic about what this might lead to, not about my medical records as I've had very minimal contact with the health service but I worried about my personal data, DOB, PPS number etc... But I managed to stop myself before I got too worked up. This has affected the entire country so please remember we're all in the same boat. We don't know what will happen but worrying about the worst case scenario isn't going to help.

I hope that's somewhat reassuring. Please don't stress yourself out when this scenario in your head might never happen!

Reactions: 3
I don't think it is anything to worry about. I'm just not sure why anyone would care about info like idk, some Irish woman called Mary went to A&E cos she broke her arm or some guy called Paddy had to get his appendix out last month.

I'd be more concerned if I was a crappy doctor or nurse and was making ignorant internal notes about patience & half arsing me job tbh. But still even if that came to light you know nothing would be done about it :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
They’ll sell our names address etc on the dark web and that’s when we’ll get the calls trying to scam money or dodgy emails. Just be extra careful when handing out card details etc online or over the phone , or changing passwords etc

Not speaking as an expert but - leaking our information into the public domain is of no benefit to the hackers.

If you are famous – i.e., blackmailable (is there such a word?)– you might be contacted to pay a ‘ransom’ for sensitive information.

Parts of our data - bank details, DOB, etc. etc - will be sold to fraudsters who will then send us lots of emails and texts – and despite loads of warnings some gullible people will still reply/click on the links.

I don't think it is anything to worry about. I'm just not sure why anyone would care about info like idk, some Irish woman called Mary went to A&E cos she broke her arm or some guy called Paddy had to get his appendix out last month.

I'd be more concerned if I was a crappy doctor or nurse and was making ignorant internal notes about patience & half arsing me job tbh. But still even if that came to light you know nothing would be done about it :rolleyes:
I think it’s more about the fact people are frightened their PPS number, bank details, DOB, address basically their entire identity will be stolen as the HSE has all of those details!

Also, incredibly sensitive information like medical history or ongoing medical problems. Stuff people want to keep to themselves like HIV or having an abortion.

Also adding on to it has anyone else gotten an influx of scam calls since the HSE was breached? Because I keep getting phone calls each morning from London area code numbers.

I think it’s more about the fact people are frightened their PPS number, bank details, DOB, address basically their entire identity will be stolen as the HSE has all of those details!

Also, incredibly sensitive information like medical history or ongoing medical problems. Stuff people want to keep to themselves like HIV or having an abortion.
Yeah that makes sense now. Also my MIL just sent us this about a scam that's happening now.

Just a heads up to everyone, a
Friend just got a call from a Dublin number pretending to be from the HSE. They had all his details, contact, DOB, PPS and date of his stay in Hospital in November. They asked for his bank details to give him a refund as he was overcharged so he hung up and called his GP. GP said they have gotten so many calls about it already and that it’s the hackers releasing all the data. Warn people to be careful if you get a call no matter how real they seem.They are going to start circulating a video on WhatsApp that shows how the Covid19 curve is flattening in India. The file is called "India is doing it", do not open it or see it, it hacks your phone in 10 seconds and it cannot be stopped in any way. Pass the information on to your family and friends. Information about this also on TV news

Yeah that makes sense now. Also my MIL just sent us this about a scam that's happening now.

Just a heads up to everyone, a
Friend just got a call from a Dublin number pretending to be from the HSE. They had all his details, contact, DOB, PPS and date of his stay in Hospital in November. They asked for his bank details to give him a refund as he was overcharged so he hung up and called his GP. GP said they have gotten so many calls about it already and that it’s the hackers releasing all the data. Warn people to be careful if you get a call no matter how real they seem.They are going to start circulating a video on WhatsApp that shows how the Covid19 curve is flattening in India. The file is called "India is doing it", do not open it or see it, it hacks your phone in 10 seconds and it cannot be stopped in any way. Pass the information on to your family and friends. Information about this also on TV news
This FB post has been doing the rounds for the last two days – slight variations but the people concerned seemed to have called their GP. I called my GP surgery this month, and it took ten days to get a call-back – so I very much doubt this story. And why would you call your GP to report a crime?

As for the “India is doing it” message – this is a hoax – full details are on Fullfact.org and Snopes. Another version of this is “Argentina is doing it”.

Thanks for the responses.
I really do hope we have nothing to worry about but I can't shake this nervousness.
I wish they paid the ransom

Reactions: 1
I have checked with a department that would have handled my data in relation to my procedure.
They ensured me that their system wasn't hacked and they also could confirm what kind of data they held (speaking in general), so it has put my mind at ease.

I have done so much research so if anyone has any concerns let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Thank you to the people who took the time out to reply to me, it was appreciated so much

Reactions: 6
Thanks for the responses.
I really do hope we have nothing to worry about but I can't shake this nervousness.
I wish they paid the ransom
I don't think paying the ransom would solve the problem, it might trigger even more complexity to the issue.

I think the data that can be sold will primarily be contact, PPS, insurance details. The type of procedure you got and when is irrelevant to them. Besides, I doubt you'd find this information on Google, as some people said, it might wind up on the dark web.

RTE says 520 patients data is on the dark web. They said it's screenshots and they will contact the patients effected.

• Wow