Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

larderdrama

Oh cool that could be something to look at then!

Thanks for you help @Snippysnips
Hopefully in a few months I can report back on what we did! Still all very nerve wracking at the moment as I hope it all goes smoothly!

larderdrama

We are currently going through the process of buying our first home which is so exciting however I seem to be having sleepless nights at the moment over decorating/design of the house.

I've rented houses for years and have to say I've never gone OTT on decorating as it isn't mine but this is different now.
I have ideas in my head/ pinterest of what we want but how do we translate this when it comes to actually decorating etc and doing improvements on a budget?

I hope this make sense just wondering where people start when it comes to decorating/design.

larderdrama

He went to London, booked a hotel room and planned to meet up with someone he knew to be 19.
I am absolutely repulsed. He will never stop until his in handcuffs I truly believe that now

larderdrama

Thank you @itsjustt and @Snippysnips your advice is greatly appreciated.

Doing all the work before moving in was the plan but after what everyone has said we won't be doing that. All that needs to be done before moving is the flooring as in some areas it's pretty damaged and the carpeted areas are in a bad state. I've decided to just go for natural/neutral colours for flooring. I just can't move in with how it currently is but as I'm writing this I'm now doubting this decision!

larderdrama

I am so sorry to hear that, I hope you are doing OK.

Thankyou so much for your advice, I will definitely look into the book. I know what colours I like but as you say they need to work I the room and with the lighting.

I definitely feel buying our first home with be full of learning curves!

larderdrama

I'm talking vivid reds, lime green and dark purples! It's too much 😂
My parents have suggested to just paper over the accent walls as so many coats would be needed!

Oooh I will take a look and see what companies do that. Thanks!

larderdrama

I know how it feels to want everything finished before you move in , but the most successful interiors have evolved over a period of time.

Maybe give the house repaint in neutral background colours to freshen it up , then add your own stamp as inspiration comes to you

Thankyou, I think that's what we will do. Just go neutral and add over time.

I've got all these grand ideas and no idea how to execute so I think building up is a great idea!

larderdrama

If the floors need done because of damage then it's best to do it while it's empty, nothing worse than having to move everything around to make room for the floors, neutral colours is best because you can decorate freely without having to replace because you want certain colours, greys an the typical wood colour are both good since you have wide ranges of colour to go with, if you really want to paint if the walls are marked then I'd go with creams, at least then when it comes to decorating you have a blank canvis

Whenever we sold our houses we painted the walls cream because it helps imagine in your head what you can do rather than having green or blue walls an your mind being scrambled trying to think what to do

Also somtimes just having a walk round stores can help, if your trying to think maybe check out next home or ikea etc, seeing little rooms done up can be great, even just seeing what colours they match up with what can help

Thankyou! I was thinking about an idea trip simply to just get some inspiration! Next would be good too, I forgot about there!

The walls are painted so boldly at the moment is like an explosion of colour it makes my eyes hurt! Haha!

BingoFlamingo

VIP Member
There’s lots of lovely interiors instagrammers that do great content and have lovely homes (some rented, some on a budget, some on bigger budgets).

The trick is to find your style. Do you like period, mid century, modern, industrial, boho? Etc. you’ll find you gravitate to one or two.

Generally go with 70/20/10 rule in terms of colour. 70% main colour, 20% second colour, the rest on a small splash of bright or whatever.

Example, neutral walls, perhaps blue sofa, or rug, bright orange cushions. For example.

Lots of great insta people to get ideas from, search out some interiors hashtags - you’ll see loooads.