Interior Design Help - First Home

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We are currently going through the process of buying our first home which is so exciting however I seem to be having sleepless nights at the moment over decorating/design of the house.

I've rented houses for years and have to say I've never gone OTT on decorating as it isn't mine but this is different now.
I have ideas in my head/ pinterest of what we want but how do we translate this when it comes to actually decorating etc and doing improvements on a budget?

I hope this make sense just wondering where people start when it comes to decorating/design.

Unless it needs urgently updating, wait until you’ve lived there for a few weeks before making any decisions.

You’ll know better then how you use the space, the natural light levels over the day.

Its much easier and cheaper to stick with neutral walls and flooring while using accessories to make the creative statements.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Unless it needs urgently updating, wait until you’ve lived there for a few weeks before making any decisions.

You’ll know better then how you use the space, the natural light levels over the day.

Its much easier and cheaper to stick with neutral walls and flooring while using accessories to make the creative statements.

Thankyou for your advice. We ideally wanted to get the keys, do work and then still live in our rented house whilst work was happening but I definitely like that idea of waiting a fee weeks!

Reactions: 1
I know how it feels to want everything finished before you move in , but the most successful interiors have evolved over a period of time.

Maybe give the house repaint in neutral background colours to freshen it up , then add your own stamp as inspiration comes to you

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I know how it feels to want everything finished before you move in , but the most successful interiors have evolved over a period of time.

Maybe give the house repaint in neutral background colours to freshen it up , then add your own stamp as inspiration comes to you

Thankyou, I think that's what we will do. Just go neutral and add over time.

I've got all these grand ideas and no idea how to execute so I think building up is a great idea!

Definitely wait and see how the light moves around the rooms. Know which way they face and which colours and undertones compliment rather than work against. When you’re deciding on colours paint a big piece of paper (the whole piece so there no white) and move it around the room on different days so you can see how it looks everywhere before committing. Also understand what colours make you happy. They often say to look in your wardrobe to see what colours you where a lot of as they obviously bring you joy. Understanding colour psychology is so important. There is a book on it by Karen Haller called the little book of colour and I recommend it. It gets you to work out and understand why certain colours make you feel a certain way. For example I hate yellow and never understood why I couldn’t find it a happy colour like others but in working through why I realised it’s because it had been the colour my daughters bedroom had been painted at my mums house when we lost her and I’ve associated it with that time in my life.

I am so sorry to hear that, I hope you are doing OK.

Thankyou so much for your advice, I will definitely look into the book. I know what colours I like but as you say they need to work I the room and with the lighting.

I definitely feel buying our first home with be full of learning curves!

i'm starting a commercial spatial design course at uni this year but know a bit about domestic interiors - my parents were wracking my brains for ideas after spending so long at home in 2020! i think it's less about finding a style that 100% fits into a clear cut category and more what makes you happy.
  • pinterest for inspo - start with what you know you like or works even if it's a bit basic. then if you can pick out themes / brands / designers there'll be more examples of items within the images styled differently. inspo doesn't have to be literal either - colour combos that work well will usually already exist in nature! the good thing with pinterest is once pics are saved to a board, the algorithm knows you better than you know yourself.
  • think about the scale of items and their features - light / dark / patterned / textured etc and if you're intending for it to be a statement piece or a plainer base for more detailed accessories. the wardrobe tip is a good one and furniture / decor working together is quite similar to an outfit in terms of layering!
  • commerical inspo is good bc they're telling you what to like a lot of the time and it's easier to love or hate it. even if it's a campaign for clothes or food, the environment is v intentional. same goes for magazines - doesn't have to be house and garden.
  • youtube videos tend to show how ppl use the space! AD house tours - i rlly like troye sivan and kirsten dunst's! that's another way to find designers and smaller brands. rajiv surendra's home is lush too! matilda goad's series is also a good one for mixing print and colour without it being overwhelming. commentary style vids can be hit or miss but i rlly enjoy paige wassel's content.

sorry if that was overwhelming! here for any questions too :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@knivesnflowers thankyou SO much for your advice.

I will watch the video and start getting more inspo from other sources! It all feels so alien to me but I'm so excited to get the keys and get a real feel for the place and whether my ideas will work in reality!

• Heart
I decorated my current house whilst still living in my old one - having kids etc i thought this would be for the best and i was confident i knew what i wanted and where etc.That went out the window weeks after moving in and now i wish i just took the plunge and moved in straight away and then decorated etc when we were in. I have changed so much interior wise since and we haven't even been there that long.

I defo recommend the same as others and let yourself settle first.

• Heart
If its a new build don't paint or paper for its first year, we have had 2 new builds an the house is still settling an moving in its first year so any paint/paper will just get cracked or ripped etc

If not, I'd say give it at least 4 weeks of being in, get yourself settled first, you'd be amazed at how little ideas will creep into your head when your not stressed to get it all done right away, somtimes when you know you have so much you get overwhelmed to the point you can't think, so maybe leave it a little bit an then think of doing it one room at a time, rather than think you have all these rooms just imagine your only doing one room an see what happens

If course pintrest an Google images etc can help but you might when relaxed think of a lot of things, I'd say pick the colour you want first an then go with it, see what happens, but don't be stressed about getting it all done right away, we were in houses a good 2 or 3 years before they were finally fully done

Good luck with your new place

• Heart
Thank you @itsjustt and @Snippysnips your advice is greatly appreciated.

Doing all the work before moving in was the plan but after what everyone has said we won't be doing that. All that needs to be done before moving is the flooring as in some areas it's pretty damaged and the carpeted areas are in a bad state. I've decided to just go for natural/neutral colours for flooring. I just can't move in with how it currently is but as I'm writing this I'm now doubting this decision!

Thank you @itsjustt and @Snippysnips your advice is greatly appreciated.

Doing all the work before moving in was the plan but after what everyone has said we won't be doing that. All that needs to be done before moving is the flooring as in some areas it's pretty damaged and the carpeted areas are in a bad state. I've decided to just go for natural/neutral colours for flooring. I just can't move in with how it currently is but as I'm writing this I'm now doubting this decision!
If the floors need done because of damage then it's best to do it while it's empty, nothing worse than having to move everything around to make room for the floors, neutral colours is best because you can decorate freely without having to replace because you want certain colours, greys an the typical wood colour are both good since you have wide ranges of colour to go with, if you really want to paint if the walls are marked then I'd go with creams, at least then when it comes to decorating you have a blank canvis

Whenever we sold our houses we painted the walls cream because it helps imagine in your head what you can do rather than having green or blue walls an your mind being scrambled trying to think what to do

Also somtimes just having a walk round stores can help, if your trying to think maybe check out next home or ikea etc, seeing little rooms done up can be great, even just seeing what colours they match up with what can help

If the floors need done because of damage then it's best to do it while it's empty, nothing worse than having to move everything around to make room for the floors, neutral colours is best because you can decorate freely without having to replace because you want certain colours, greys an the typical wood colour are both good since you have wide ranges of colour to go with, if you really want to paint if the walls are marked then I'd go with creams, at least then when it comes to decorating you have a blank canvis

Whenever we sold our houses we painted the walls cream because it helps imagine in your head what you can do rather than having green or blue walls an your mind being scrambled trying to think what to do

Also somtimes just having a walk round stores can help, if your trying to think maybe check out next home or ikea etc, seeing little rooms done up can be great, even just seeing what colours they match up with what can help

Thankyou! I was thinking about an idea trip simply to just get some inspiration! Next would be good too, I forgot about there!

The walls are painted so boldly at the moment is like an explosion of colour it makes my eyes hurt! Haha!

Thankyou! I was thinking about an idea trip simply to just get some inspiration! Next would be good too, I forgot about there!

The walls are painted so boldly at the moment is like an explosion of colour it makes my eyes hurt! Haha!
Ohhh haha, I hope you manage to paint over them, nothing worse than having really strong colours on the wall an needing 16 coats to cover it

Somtimes even browsing through the argos book can be nice as well, seeing the living room an bedroom designs they have used with advertising their furniture

Pretty sure there's some company's that have apps you can download an it shows the furniture in your house like a type of VR

I'm talking vivid reds, lime green and dark purples! It's too much 😂
My parents have suggested to just paper over the accent walls as so many coats would be needed!

Oooh I will take a look and see what companies do that. Thanks!

I'm talking vivid reds, lime green and dark purples! It's too much 😂
My parents have suggested to just paper over the accent walls as so many coats would be needed!

Oooh I will take a look and see what companies do that. Thanks!
Wow very colourful 😅 places like b&q should help advise what you could use but I reckon you'd need maybe two coats for primer and then your paint, unfortunately it maybe means buying the more expensive brands as the cheaper ones might require a ton of coats done, my brother had dark walls an we used two coats of primer then two coats of cream an it was fine

Oh cool that could be something to look at then!

Thanks for you help @Snippysnips
Hopefully in a few months I can report back on what we did! Still all very nerve wracking at the moment as I hope it all goes smoothly!

Oh cool that could be something to look at then!

Thanks for you help @Snippysnips
Hopefully in a few months I can report back on what we did! Still all very nerve wracking at the moment as I hope it all goes smoothly!
You will get there in the end, having moved twice it can get pretty stressful an then you have the first few days of trying to find out which box the mugs were put into for a cuppy 😅 but it's worth it, I look forward to hearing how it's decorated 😊

• Heart
My advice is to do it step by step. At first, give yourself some time to settle. Start with the rooms you will be using the most (usually bedroom, bathroom and kitchen) and go from there. Unless you are really into something, try to avoid most interior design trends because in a couple of years they will be long gone and you might be stuck with a dated interior you don’t like anymore. Go through some magazines or Youtube house tours to get inspired and see what you like.

I don’t know what your place is like or whether you will be painting your walls but usually it’s a good idea to go for lighter, more neutral colours as they make the space appear bigger and cosier. Also, if you are on a budget, there are lots of things you can get from cheaper places like IKEA or Ebay and just redecorate (paint over or change door knobs) to make them fit your aesthetic and look special. Don’t worry if you don’t like the look once the initial decoration part is over - things like curtains, mirrors, bowls and vases can really transform your space.

It can actually be an exciting process so try not to worry too much and trust your gut. Good luck!

• Heart