Instamums #2 Permanently exhausted, winging it in waitrose in #ad#gifted clothes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if The Park Cornwall realise that using CT or others on IG to advertise their business might be counter productive. I wouldn't stay there on principle now.
Agreed! I think though that there will always be new vulnerable mums who will constantly follow and do what they’re told by instamums? I will put my hands up to the fact that I blindly followed 3 years ago and thought that they were amazing and truly living their best life and then it became murky......I think there are only a few that I’m still following from 3 years ago BUT it did introduce me to some smaller accounts that are fab?

Reactions: 2
Agreed! I think though that there will always be new vulnerable mums who will constantly follow and do what they’re told by instamums? I will put my hands up to the fact that I blindly followed 3 years ago and thought that they were amazing and truly living their best life and then it became murky......I think there are only a few that I’m still following from 3 years ago BUT it did introduce me to some smaller accounts that are fab?
Despite being a cynical, smart, unmaterialistic woman I also found myself influenced when pregnant. I'd had a traumatic bereavement and used Insta as a distraction, mindlessly watching makeup videos and obviously staged photos of family perfection. When I was pregnant, I couldn't help thinking I needed the Tiba and Marl bag, the brand new buggy, the sleepy head and pre-labour pedicures and push present diamonds (thanks MOD). We couldn't afford all this and I knew deep down none of it was necessary, but still felt I was doing it 'wrong' by getting a fab second hand pram etc. Of course everything i was seeing on insta was a lie. It's advertising designed to make you feel inadequate so you buy buy buy. Clemmie T works in advertising, so knows this. She knows the very mental health conditions she claims to have makes you vulnerable to marketing. She knows she's exploiting people.
Luckily my husband is uninflucence-able! And my baby is very happy and content, despite no expensive babygros and no holidays in Cornwall every other month.

Reactions: 23
This question goes to all influencers who are following this thread. Does the experience that Palm 23 has shared concern you? Do you feel uncomfortable at the thought that products and lifestyles you are endorsing might negatively impact the lives of vulnerable people and persuade them to buy products they do not need or cannot afford.

Does it not feel incongruous when you write a thread promoting yourself as a part of a "sisterhood" or a "feminist" yet are using your followers for your own ends? Does that not make you hypocritical?

We are bombarded by advertising, especially on TV, but it is clearly advertising, and it is not wrapped up in a misleading narrative of "friendship".

I would feel uncomfortable making my living this way, but invite your comments.

Reactions: 15
I'm writing a blog post on this. Anonymously of course, because I can foresee a whole lot of trolling and abuse if I put my name to it. They hide behind powerful forces of fangirls and talent agencies.

And I call this out because I was lucky and didn't find myself in debt wondering why my life still didn't look picture-perfect. But I imagine some women have bought things they couldn't afford because they felt like a failure buying cheaper or, heaven-forbid, secondhand alternatives.

Editing to add the other option I could have used: selling the initimate and private moments of my kid's babyhood on Insta in the quest for this 'gifted' lifestyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Anyone follow moaning mum and wife of 2 ? She’s like half instamum half shitlord?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
UGG dinosaur lamp, I saw it and thought 'ooo that's funky, I could probably have a go with an old toy and a glue gun....' its nearly £800 worth of product that!!

MoD is gishing (my new made up word for gift-fishing).

Reactions: 6
I get inpo encouraging her daughter to get a job to help fund her uni and future but why on earth as an influencer?? So much emphasis on her looks, her size, at her age, I'm not sure I'd want to encourage my daughter to do that.
I mean fair play if her mental health is robust enough, I guess. But why be a brand based on her mum? I'd never have wanted to basically be a clone of my mum as a teen 😂

I also need the middle mama to stop biting her tongue in every photo 👅

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I wonder if The Park Cornwall realise that using CT or others on IG to advertise their business might be counter productive. I wouldn't stay there on principle now.
I'm with you on this one. I did look into staying there after MOD went a couple of years ago (or was it last year? I can't actually remember) as I thought it looked pretty good. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now.

I remember at the time questioning why the hell we couldn't afford to go away what seemed like every half term/ school holiday (let alone how on earth they managed to get so much time off work) and feeling pretty inadequate about it - then of course realised that of course it's affordable if every bloody holiday is gifted/ heavily subsidised.

Reactions: 10
The endless holidays are one of the worst parts. That is CT’s fifth holiday - the Christmas “paid for” one, two ski trips, a Cornwall one and now this one. That’s ridiculous.

Reactions: 6
I get inpo encouraging her daughter to get a job to help fund her uni and future but why on earth as an influencer?? So much emphasis on her looks, her size, at her age, I'm not sure I'd want to encourage my daughter to do that.
I mean fair play if her mental health is robust enough, I guess. But why be a brand based on her mum? I'd never have wanted to basically be a clone of my mum as a teen 😂

Exactly this! Of course she’s old enough to have an insta- that’s fine but you’re hanging off your mums coat tails? Why have inpo in your name? Why ask your mums followers to follow you? Very very weird!

I lasted about 2 weeks with middle mama, the tongue annoyed me and the sing song condescending voice 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 1
unfollowed Middle mama too, Cheapblonde etc too many people getting insta famous for no reason other than knowing the PR person who has brought all these women together who then go to the opening of an envelope. There’s nothing unique about them. Just a bit desperate

The endless holidays are one of the worst parts. That is CT’s fifth holiday - the Christmas “paid for” one, two ski trips, a Cornwall one and now this one. That’s ridiculous.
What really gets on my goat is the moaning and whinging they do about the free holidays and having to write reviews. If I was getting a free holiday worth £20k I'd be happy to write a bloody thesis 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
What really gets on my goat is the moaning and whinging they do about the free holidays and having to write reviews. If I was getting a free holiday worth £20k I'd be happy to write a bloody thesis 😂
Oh gosh, the packing is a killer, add to that the washing and the fact that they have to spend time with their partners. It is a real chore don’t you know!

• Haha

I found this SO weird too! 😐 Very strange.

I too found myself feeling inadequate that my family and I don't go away every half term and holiday. My husband and I are both working still so we'll both be able to have a few days off but that's it, so it's sports club for the eldest and nursery for the youngest which both cost a lot of money. I'm tired of seeing all these influencers going away so much. It's ridiculous! We're going away in the summer for a week after saving up and that's it. No 'cheeky' trips to Cornwall or Centre Parks. Just staying at home, several picnics in the park and trips to free museums.

Reactions: 7
I don't understand how anyone finds instamums relatable. I mean just look at martha, she has no talent, job or anything interesting or important to speak about. Her whole life is Instagram. Everything is gifted or and. There is no content. Its just a sales account. Her life has no substance without all the freebies leading her.

There’s a very good post by Allison Saddler from yesterday about how she sees her role as an Influencer although she’s uncomfortable describing herself as one.

She talks about wanting to be able to sleep well at night with what she promotes etc but does enjoy being offered a free hotel stay every now and then😊.

She comes across as a very nice , warm woman who wants to use her platform for good but is extremely honest about the perks.

Allison should be higher up the InstaMum chain , I don’t know why she isn’t ( not a money grabber and has a moral compass probably) a lot of the Insta Mums could learn from her.

I got her name from someone else on here singing her praises and they were right, sorry can’t remember who recommended her.

I don't understand how anyone finds instamums relatable. I mean just look at martha, she has no talent, job or anything interesting or important to speak about. Her whole life is Instagram. Everything is gifted or and. There is no content. Its just a sales account. Her life has no substance without all the freebies leading her.
I don’t think they are particularly relatable. They’re a bit like reality tv stars. Certain people watching them thinks ‘this is easy. I want in on this’. You seemingly don’t need any talent, all you have to do is post photos of your life to get all this free stuff chucked at you. A lucky few have hit the jackpot but there isn’t room for everyone at the top. You only have to look at Hinch as an example for that. The number of people starting ‘cleaning’ accounts who don’t actually do any cleaning but are constantly on the beg for free stuff.

I don’t think they are particularly relatable. They’re a bit like reality tv stars. Certain people watching them thinks ‘this is easy. I want in on this’. You seemingly don’t need any talent, all you have to do is post photos of your life to get all this free stuff chucked at you. A lucky few have hit the jackpot but there isn’t room for everyone at the top. You only have to look at Hinch as an example for that. The number of people starting ‘cleaning’ accounts who don’t actually do any cleaning but are constantly on the beg for free stuff.
It's when they keep protesting that talent got them where they are (see: CT's 'list') when in reality it was just being happy to pimp the most intimate family moments.

Reactions: 3
It's when they keep protesting that talent got them where they are (see: CT's 'list') when in reality it was just being happy to pimp the most intimate family moments.
For a lot of the instamums its privilege that got them where they are. A large proportion of the London centic ones seem to have wealthy parents, private schooling, a family income that affords them a large house and the opportunity to fanny about at product launches, breakfast 'meetings' and free holidays, while moaning how hard their life is. Boo-hoo :rolleyes:

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.