Inappropriate therapist

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all, I think I know in my head that this situation is inappropriate, but I wanted to get a sense from you guys. I feel embarrassed about it because I've been put in an awkward position.

I had a rough time for a few months at the end of last year and beginning of this year. I had previously had psychotherapy and wanted to go back to my old therapist (who was good), but she was about to retire. She suggested a form of alternative therapy - not psychotherapy, but a technique that is helpful for people who have suffered trauma. I researched different practitioners and found one that came extremely highly recommended a few miles away from where I live - but she was fully booked for a few weeks.

I was at an incredibly low ebb and I actually found someone closer to me who could see me much sooner. I ended up booking a session with her. I can't explain it, but I just had a feeling something wasn't quite right with her (easy to say in hindsight.) I dismissed my feelings because she seemed kind and caring and concerned about my wellbeing, and like I say - I was incredibly low.

I ended up going to both the highly recommended therapist and the one that lived much closer to me. On a couple of occasions I saw the local therapist when I was out running errands but kept it polite and said hi but not much else. I ended up, I think, becoming slightly co-dependent on the local therapist and was going for sessions on a weekly basis in the lead up to a medical procedure.

A couple of things happened that really made me realise this person was being very inappropriate. We got talking about marijuana, and she mentioned that she enjoyed the odd joint or two. I said that I very occasionally have a smoke, and thought nothing more of it. Then the next session, this person asked me if I could obtain weed for her....... I mean, I don't even know where to start with that.

I stopped going, actually.

Then I was out somewhere and saw her, but only realised that it was her after I'd got home because I was with my dog and didn't really turn round. I thought about whether I should send a message saying hello but then decided firmly against it because I didn't want to resume contact. Thought nothing more of it, then got a message from her which I found really quite deceitful. It was under the guise of 'oh, just been thinking of you!', but I knew she'd seen me when I was out the week before. Why lie? And then suggested meeting up which I just think is wholly, totally inappropriate.

I haven't responded for obvious reasons and I'm not going to - but I'm wondering if I should report this person? I don't know whether to just leave it and move on. But it isn't as though we were friends and I went to her for her brand of healing therapy; she got to know me through me coming to her when I was very vulnerable indeed. I hate when things like this happen - it's so disappointing.

🚩

Red flags tbh reading your post.

The BACP have a concerns section you can anonymously contact them about and go from there if you do want to make a full complaint.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
🚩

Red flags tbh reading your post.

The BACP have a concerns section you can anonymously contact them about and go from there if you do want to make a full complaint.

She's registered with a different body, but yes that was very much my thinking, too. I might have a confidential chat with them and see what they say.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The other main one is this too:

The other main one is this too:

Thank you - she's not a psychotherapist, she's an alternative therapist and they have their own body - I don't want to say exactly what she does as potentially a bit 🔺.. but rest assured I will contact them!

Reactions: 1
That is so inappropriate it's unbelievable. I would send her message telling her that you find it uncomfortable that she is contacting you outside of sessions.

100% put in a complaint with whichever body she is registered to