I want to travel solo for Christmas this year - any tips?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi!

I’m lacking a bit of inspiration at the moment and I’m thinking of jetting off somewhere hot over Christmas this year - I’m thinking Thailand. However I would be travelling alone as a lot of my friends don’t want to go away for Christmas.
Does anyone have any tips on where to go, any experiences, or a good way to go about this solo?

Thanks!

Thailand is pretty safe and easy to travel as a female (if you are). I lived there for a while and made a few solo trips.

What kind of a trip were you thinking? City/beach/culture/diving etc? Also how long for?

If you want a mostly beach based trip I'd do a couple nights Bangkok anyway just because it's an incredible city then fly to Phuket, stay somewhere in the south of the Island, maybe the Nai Harn, gorgeous hotel and a great beach for snorkeling. Then it's really easy to island hop over to koh phi phi for diving or snorkeling and gorgeous beaches. Or you could go to more unknown islands like Koh Yao Yai and stay at the amazing Santhiya hotel or Koh Yao Noi for unspoilt beaches and Beach bungalows of dreams (corner bungalows are just lovely).

Or you could go to the other side and do Koh samui (Melia is the best hotel) followed by Koh Phangnan for parties or Koh Tao for diving.

Or if you want culture you should go north, Chiang Mai for temples and elephants, Chiang Rai for temples and views and Pai for the hippe trail, dreamy green scenery etc.

You can combine some of these depending how long you have. Happy to be more specific when you have a rough plan.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Likewise.

I’ve gone to Thai many times. I was 22 when I first went. It’s very easy to navigate as a solo female.

I’ve had a horrific break up and I’m thinking I’ll go to Thai over December this year - no restrictions - so if you want a buddy, let me know.

It’s very safe. Just don’t be silly with silly stuff.

Ps, fly into bkk, get bkk to samui and enjoy

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I've visited Thailand at Christmas and its great. Would recommend visiting the Andaman coast at this time of year; Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi etc - the weather is perfect.

My itinerary was Bangkok > Chiang Mai > Phuket > Phi Phi > Krabi. I'd recommend booking onto food tours, group tours, in the places you visit. I was with my partner but lots of people on the tour were solo and its a great way to chat and meet people.

@sparklebangle omg I’m also going through a break up! 😂 and want to go away over Christmas so yes I’m definitely up for a buddy!!!

Thank you all so much for your ideas, that’s so helpful. I’m going to do some research now!

Thailand is very safe as a solo female traveller. I took myself all around Asia after a horrific break up and it was the best holiday I’ve ever been on. I met so many amazing people everywhere I went. Take a kindle so you’ve got something to read if you’re lounging on a beach by a pool. As one poster said, just have your wits about you like you would at home. But I can’t recommend it enough. I was worried about eating dinner out on my own, but no one bats an eyelid when you do. My trip gave me back all of the confidence I’d lost through the break up. Go for it lovely, it will be amazing 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Stopping by to say Thailand over Christmas is wonderful. I absolutely loved being away and having a non-conventional Christmas without any stress!

I didn't go solo but always felt very safe. My tips: avoid tuk tuks, don't stop and talk to strangers who randomly strike up conversation! Be polite but keep moving. Chances are they want to sell you something (be it a custom suit, excursion, boat trip) etc. If you use taxis insist on the meter being used; if they refuse don't travel with them. I didn't use yellow taxis as I used Thailand's version of Uber (called Grab) and I found it great.

Good luck and hope you have an amazing trip! 😊