How to get therapy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi there,

Broad question I suppose but until now I've fortunately never had to seek out mental health treatment but a miscarriage has massively triggered my anxiety, sleep anxiety and led to compulsive thoughts. I've had anxiety before but never this bad.

I am fortunate enough that I can afford private therapy - probably like £50-£100 per session if needed. So I'm wondering if I should go straight to private rather than through my gp as I don't want to be fobbed off. But also think maybe beta blockers would help? So maybe I do both?

And how do you find a good therapist? Is it just reviews on Google/the BACP list or are there other ways? I also know there's different types of therapy. I assume maybe CBT? But it's just a minefield for me at the moment.

Sorry if this is rambley but how to go about starting this would be great.

Honestly there's no easy way to find a good one, it all really depends on how you get on with them personally, one could be great for someone but not right for you an unfortunately you won't know till you meet them

My first was through my gp, she was apparently good I was told but I hated her, she just spoke about how her son done all these things that I should be doing myself, so I then got referred through the NHS an he was amazing, we got on really well but I could only have so many sessions with him because it was the NHS

It won't hurt to try the gp first an see how you get on, but don't feel you need to go back if you don't click with them, it's important to be able to feel comfortable as you won't open up to them if your not, am not sure how long a wait it will be if it's through the gp, I was quite fast but then it's a small enough town that I can get same day appointments, if you feel the gp is too long then maybe look into private but again if you don't click then don't feel you need to see them again, a good therapist won't take offensive to it as they know how important it is for the person to feel comfortable with them an sometimes that's not always the case

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks so much for replying ❤ I've decided to ring the GP this morning as a first step and take it from there.

Reactions: 2

On this you can search for your area and review therapists profiles. They all say what their experience is, what issues they work with etc so worth contacting a few. They often offer a free or reduced fee first session as it's important to make sure you get on with your therapist

• Heart
Working for the NHS I would say the main positive is its free. Whilst great work is done and there's some great therapists, the wait lists are generally long- 6 months in my area and sessions are often limited from between 6 to 12. Private eliminates these problems. It can be hard knowing which therapy to choose but it's important to think about your goals. CBT could well likely be beneficial for the anxiety and intrusive thoughts but counselling is very good for loss and grief. So if you have very practical goals I would say CBT, if you would rather have a space to offload more and process then I would suggest counselling. Both can be found like you say on BABCP or what is linked above. GP is best for medication so good that you've contacted them. Best of luck!

Just to add I'm so sorry you're going through this and I'm glad you're considering some support. The miscarriage association could also be an option

• Heart