How to ask to be signed off work?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all

Basically I would like to get signed off work for a bit but I’m not sure how to go about it. Can I literally just go to the Dr and say “I’m not coping with this, can you sign me off?” and they’ll do it?

The reason is a very close family member is dying - probably in the next week /two weeks. She’s been ill for a while but I’m finding it really really hard now.

On top of that I have just started a new job in a new city. It’s similar to my old job but still a lot of newness/change. I’m also having to do a different type of work which I didn’t know I would have to do and I really hate it. I’m finding it really hard to concentrate and can’t keep on top of my work.

It’s not helping that there is zero scope to go into the office, so I’m just sitting at home thinking about how much I hate the work and crying over my poorly aunty.

I’m actually thinking about leaving the job already, but for now I think maybe if I can be signed off it will give me time to spend with my family and then re-assess.

Any help appreciated 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I would first of all familiarise yourself with your new workplace’s sickness policy before taking any action. Most places will allow you to self cert illness for 7 days, anything over 7 days will require a sick note. Also check how long you can be off sick for before pay drops etc
Then it is simply a case of going to the doctor and explaining the situation, I think generally they are pretty sympathetic (though I’ve never done it myself) I have never heard of anyone being refused a sick note
That being said, if your family member is palliative it might be worth seeing if you can ask your manager if you can be signed off for special paid leave for a while - this is sometimes an option worth exploring rather than going sick
Good luck and best wishes

Reactions: 3
I would first of all familiarise yourself with your new workplace’s sickness policy before taking any action. Most places will allow you to self cert illness for 7 days, anything over 7 days will require a sick note. Also check how long you can be off sick for before pay drops etc
Then it is simply a case of going to the doctor and explaining the situation, I think generally they are pretty sympathetic (though I’ve never done it myself) I have never heard of anyone being refused a sick note
That being said, if your family member is palliative it might be worth seeing if you can ask your manager if you can be signed off for special paid leave for a while - this is sometimes an option worth exploring rather than going sick
Good luck and best wishes
I had a quick check of the handbook earlier and I don’t think I’ve been there long enough to get any paid compassionate leave other than a few days for a funeral, which is fine, that’s what savings are for.

I have 4 days holiday so perhaps I’ll start with asking for some days off this week/next and then go for the unpaid leave.

Thank you ☺

Reactions: 1
Hello all

Basically I would like to get signed off work for a bit but I’m not sure how to go about it. Can I literally just go to the Dr and say “I’m not coping with this, can you sign me off?” and they’ll do it?

The reason is a very close family member is dying - probably in the next week /two weeks. She’s been ill for a while but I’m finding it really really hard now.

On top of that I have just started a new job in a new city. It’s similar to my old job but still a lot of newness/change. I’m also having to do a different type of work which I didn’t know I would have to do and I really hate it. I’m finding it really hard to concentrate and can’t keep on top of my work.

It’s not helping that there is zero scope to go into the office, so I’m just sitting at home thinking about how much I hate the work and crying over my poorly aunty.

I’m actually thinking about leaving the job already, but for now I think maybe if I can be signed off it will give me time to spend with my family and then re-assess.

Any help appreciated 😊
Yep, it’s really easy there’s not a burden of proof or anything. I would do it, especially as it sounds as if you’re prepared financially.

I had a horrific time with my employer whilst pregnant & my midwife kept pushing for me to get signed off, one day my husband shut my laptop and signed me off for us. Got the note same day all over email & forwarded it, doctor renewed it every x weeks and I don’t regret a thing. The immediate relief you feel when you’re clear just to look after yourself and not have to contact anyone else is immeasurable, would recommend to anyone struggling.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My doctors were great when a relative of mine was nearing the end of their life - granted I was their carer etc but they signed me off for the week leading up to their passing and then 4 weeks after (I was in my first year of current job so only got 4 weeks paid!)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I was in the same position when my mum was dying. Told the gp I was struggling to cope (my dad was also ill at that time) and was offered a 4 week line straight away without having to ask. She actually passed away later that day and when my line ran out was offered another as soon as I requested a review of my line. You shouldn’t therefore have any issues apart from as another poster mentioned, as a new employee, your pay may drop after a few weeks

I needed a sick note last week and I just filled out a form online at my gp and they emailed me the sick note the next day … I was quite surprised and found the whole thing quite strange but they gave me a month!