How much money do you have in savings?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Congratulations on the new job and car! Sounds like you were doing something right if you were able to save for your new set of wheels, just carry on doing what you're able to do! When I've received a payrise from a new job i've always tried to put the 'extra' amount I receive every month in to savings, so that I don't get too used to the increase in money and just spend it all. Appreciate that might not be an option if you need the money, but might be worth thinking about if you're able to.
thank you 😊…I have given that some thought putting the extra away. I need to be strict but not too strict as that’s where I fail and then I’m like YOLO 😂

Reactions: 2
I bought a house last May so that took basically all my savings. I think I had 1k left and since December I’ve started saving again I have 4.5k now. My cars very old (18) so I’m saving for a new car. My hope is it’ll pass its MOT this year as it’s had a lot of work done the last few months and it’ll hopefully last me another year.
But my plan is to have 7k in savings by the time the MOT is due (September) so that’s £500 I need to save each month. I only want a small car so that should get me a decent small car.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m 27. I brought a house on my own end of 2021 and renovated it so I had absolutely no savings left after that 🥲 17 months later and I’m now on £750 in a savings account and I’m putting £400 a month away (was £250 before this month, just upped it)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
thank you 😊…I have given that some thought putting the extra away. I need to be strict but not too strict as that’s where I fail and then I’m like YOLO 😂
You should treat yourself a little, as you've earned that pay rise, but I think it's so easy to slip into your new pay and not remembering what it was like to be paid less, if that makes sense? You can do it (y)

*sorry if this is the wrong thread !*

Looking for a bit of advice - so I changed jobs in February, got my pay check end of the month and of course it wasn't a whole month as I joined on the 6th, and was also paid a measly £200 from my old job.

So with this said I paid my tax which was about £600 for both jobs - I then got a letter from HMRC that my tax code is changing on the 6th of April 2023 - 5th April 2024, and on the back it stated 'as previously notified you owe £209 tax', which they have now taken £600 tax this month.

I haven't received any letters or emails from HMRC declaring that I owe tax before this, and want to be sure I am on the correct tax code for my salary as I can't keep losing over £1000 a month on tax and NI.

Any advice on what to do?

Reactions: 1

Looking for a bit of advice - so I changed jobs in February, got my pay check end of the month and of course it wasn't a whole month as I joined on the 6th, and was also paid a measly £200 from my old job.

So with this said I paid my tax which was about £600 for both jobs - I then got a letter from HMRC that my tax code is changing on the 6th of April 2023 - 5th April 2024, and on the back it stated 'as previously notified you owe £209 tax', which they have now taken £600 tax this month.

I haven't received any letters or emails from HMRC declaring that I owe tax before this, and want to be sure I am on the correct tax code for my salary as I can't keep losing over £1000 a month on tax and NI.

Contact HMRC and ask them?

It’s really hard to tell without knowing your income, etc, and seeing all your payslips. Regarding the “underpayment”: set up a Government Gateway and check how much income has been declared. The amount of tax this month might just be because you’re on some kind of emergency tax code with your new job.

Ring them, always ring them
I noticed on my wage slip I had a different tax code rang them and they said I owed them about 400
I paid if off at £5 a month

Ring them, always ring them
I noticed on my wage slip I had a different tax code rang them and they said I owed them about 400
I paid if off at £5 a month
I spoke to them in the end and had to pay the £200 that I owed in full which is why I was getting taxed more - I'm kind of hoping I get some form of rebate from this but unsure !

I’ve been saving £1k a month since I paid my debts off at the end of last year and have almost £8k. I find it so depressing though, it stresses me out and I feel miles behind where I should be. I’m years off a deposit and don’t want to trade my car because it seems too extravagant. I still buy treats and stuff but I have no social outgoings so it balances out. I just have mine in a Monzo savings account because it’s instant access and good %. I think my plan is to get to £10k savings then transfer to a better % and build up a 3-6 month expenses emergency pot. It’s all rather dull.

• Heart
I’ve been saving £1k a month since I paid my debts off at the end of last year and have almost £8k. I find it so depressing though, it stresses me out and I feel miles behind where I should be. I’m years off a deposit and don’t want to trade my car because it seems too extravagant. I still buy treats and stuff but I have no social outgoings so it balances out. I just have mine in a Monzo savings account because it’s instant access and good %. I think my plan is to get to £10k savings then transfer to a better % and build up a 3-6 month expenses emergency pot. It’s all rather dull.
You’re doing a really good job! Well done on getting out of debt. Try to look at how far you’ve come instead of thinking about where you should be theoretically.

Perhaps you could can start building up the emergency post too whilst still saving the main amount?

I liked Monzo because you could have more than one pot.

I sat down with my middle sister. Every time she gets paid she also puts some money into a holiday and spending fund.
---
It might just keep you a bit more motivated.
---
* pot not post!

• Heart
You’re doing a really good job! Well done on getting out of debt. Try to look at how far you’ve come instead of thinking about where you should be theoretically.

Perhaps you could can start building up the emergency post too whilst still saving the main amount?

I liked Monzo because you could have more than one pot.

I sat down with my middle sister. Every time she gets paid she also puts some money into a holiday and spending fund.
---
It might just keep you a bit more motivated.
---
* pot not post!
Thank you @rainbowlemon, you’re so right, need to have more of a glass half full mindset. If I keep going I only have two months to reach 10k so will plan for the other fund and save simultaneously from then.

• Heart
Personally I would not wait until you have £10K, a lot of the better easy access interest rates are for smaller amounts. I have a 7% regular saver (£300 a month), a 6% £4,000 account etc. Make the most of the interest rates, as every penny counts.

This is bloody amazing - huge well done !!
I'm currently in the mindset change of paying off my debts; I only have about £600 on my credit card with a £1,500 limit, but it stresses me out so much knowing that I owe money!
My partner and I have a property in mind that we want to buy but it's a bit of a sticky situation; so we've got to keep saving as much as we can as well as the fact we both desperately want to move out of our flat to get a pet 😂 honestly being a grown-up is hard,look at how amazing you've done so far and whats changed in the last 8 months <3

• Heart
Personally I would not wait until you have £10K, a lot of the better easy access interest rates are for smaller amounts. I have a 7% regular saver (£300 a month), a 6% £4,000 account etc. Make the most of the interest rates, as every penny counts.
I should look into moving half but I get mentally stuck on a milestone - I had it sat in a regular pot until May 😶 eek.

This is bloody amazing - huge well done !!
I'm currently in the mindset change of paying off my debts; I only have about £600 on my credit card with a £1,500 limit, but it stresses me out so much knowing that I owe money!
My partner and I have a property in mind that we want to buy but it's a bit of a sticky situation; so we've got to keep saving as much as we can as well as the fact we both desperately want to move out of our flat to get a pet 😂 honestly being a grown-up is hard,look at how amazing you've done so far and whats changed in the last 8 months <3
Thanks so much!
And good luck with your journey 🏡 🐱 🐶 🐰

• Heart