Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Calabria

VIP Member
After all my bills are paid and money into savings I have about £700 a month to live off - anything left at the end of the month then goes into another savings deposit.

Reactions: 2

DuckDuck

VIP Member
After food , bills etc . I spend on MYSELF ( I’m assuming you mean takeaways , clothes , mostly charity shop as mine is very good , wine , going out , when it was open) . Probably around £50-£80 a week .. I need to cut it right down as it means to earn this money , which I call fun money , I have to get up at 6am , cleaning job ... my husband would never let me spend this amount on myself for junk , he’s quite frugal and the money just isn’t in the household budget for me to do this , that’s why I’ve got a separate cleaning job as I have champagne lifestyle on lemonade money to fund it

Reactions: 1

GemAitch

After paying mortgage, bills, petrol, subscriptions, gym, holiday savings etc I have 300 I have in a separate bank account. Currently saving 100 a month for a holiday so that gives me 200 fun money which I usually spend on skin care and clothes when needed. I have a Monzo account so holiday and Xmas savings go into locked pots so I can't access it til a certain date

Gossgirl

I do a zero based budget so I work out exactly what comes in per month and then split it.
It looks something like this

Rent+bills = £908
Food 100 (I do 2 shops a months of £50)
Petrol 40
Child’s envelope 40
Car maintenance/insurance envelope 40
Miscellaneous envelope 80
Holiday fund 200

Then whatever I have left goes to long term savings (house deposit) which is usually 400/500

Therefore the only money I can spend (on no essentials) is from miscellaneous but I hardly use it tbh. We are minimalists so don’t spend regularly. We tend to save up and buy quality items that we have waited a while for so we know we definitely want them

This idea may sound restrictive but to me it’s the opposite. I have my money exactly where it needs to be for future purchases. My car insurance money is always waiting there to be paid in full. If my child needs new shoes the envelope is there waiting. It’s not for everyone but I’d never change back

Plus we always have money waiting for holidays! 😬 ☀
Do you physically put it in envelopes or not? Just curious.

I am another fan of 0 based budgeting. So I give myself anywhere between £100 - £150 for the month. Unfortunately most of that has ended up on take aways and expensive skincare as my rosacea has made a come back.

Mine is all based online. I spend on my reward credit card and move the money manually out of pots.

WilmaHun

VIP Member
After paying mortgage, bills, petrol, subscriptions, gym, holiday savings etc I have 300 I have in a separate bank account. Currently saving 100 a month for a holiday so that gives me 200 fun money which I usually spend on skin care and clothes when needed. I have a Monzo account so holiday and Xmas savings go into locked pots so I can't access it til a certain date
Sorry to jump on your post. I've seen so many people talking about Monzo recently, is it worth swapping banks to them? Everyone seems to have such good things to say! I'd not really heard of it before, until it seemed every man and his dog had it!

WilmaHun

VIP Member
I still have my main Santander account for bills mortgage etc and have the Monzo as a second account. I plan to swap soon but need to pay my overdraft off first lol. I really rate Monzo tho, easy to set up and the app is brilliant. Can use it abroad too and draw money out free upto a certain amount
That's great, thank you!