How much debt are you actually in?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not in debt but I have less the £1000 in my main account right now. 🤬

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I was about £25k in debt (£5k overdraft and credit cards) built up over a decade mostly just on living (train pass to work on credit card etc.) I'm just coming into year 5 of an IVA so should be debt free soonish but then have to build my credit rating up again. It was amazing when I never missed a £600 minimum payment, which shows what a load of shite credit referencing is.

Think there's about £3k left on my student loan.

I'll never be able to save for a deposit for a house. Not gonna inherit anything to help. Very depressing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I have around £1000 debt left but I’m going to pay it off between January and March.

Reactions: 1
Updating as I got a notification someone liked my post from a year ago. I am no longer in debt. Wishing you success getting out of your debt ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 26
2023 is going to be my debt free year . Currently owe £12000 on credit cards. I have £27k on mortgage which will be paid in 3 years if I do nothing. I am never going into debt again after that.

Reactions: 10
I'm not in debt for the first time in my adult life (I'm in my early 60s now), paid all my credit cards off in 2020 and my mortgage was paid off last year. I paid cash for my car this year (it's not a new one) and I have almost 30k in savings. This is partly down to PPI refunds and redundancy money.

Being debt free has allowed me to drop a couple of days and work part-time.

I know how easy it is to get into debt and how hard it is to pay off. At one point I owed about 40k on bank loans and credit cards (not including my mortgage).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Mortgage 85k that is shared with boyfriend
Car finance- about 18k but it’s on pcp so I will just hand back and hopefully get a cheaper car next!
Student loan-about 7k but I don’t worry about that, it’s just so annoying seeing £70 come off my pay each month
Credit car-7k- this is the debt that worries me, if just never goes down. I did have 9k inheritance from my grandma last Xmas but that was spent on moving house/house renovation. It did feel good having that money in my bank for a while!

Mortgage 85k that is shared with boyfriend
Car finance- about 18k but it’s on pcp so I will just hand back and hopefully get a cheaper car next!
Student loan-about 7k but I don’t worry about that, it’s just so annoying seeing £70 come off my pay each month
Credit car-7k- this is the debt that worries me, if just never goes down. I did have 9k inheritance from my grandma last Xmas but that was spent on moving house/house renovation. It did feel good having that money in my bank for a while!
The credit cards were the most difficult for me to get rid of, it took a long time and I ended up cashing in a pension to clear the final balance as I felt it was never going to get paid down. I set up a direct debit for the card with the biggest balance and just checked it every so often, cut the card up so I wasn't tempted. It went eventually but took years to pay down.

About 4.5k. Mainly credit cards and paypal credit, all taken out while on mat leave as a single mum when covid hit. Still struggling to pay them back now!

• Heart
Just over 84k on my mortgage. This has been the year that I’ve finally managed to get out of credit card and overdraft debt something I’ve had in some form or another over the last 20 years. I still use my credit card to buy things online although pay it off in full each month. Next challenge is to try and see some savings built. It seems to have been the year of big expenses, just tell misled at least I’m lucky enough to be able to pay for them at the time.

• Heart
Just over 84k on my mortgage. This has been the year that I’ve finally managed to get out of credit card and overdraft debt something I’ve had in some form or another over the last 20 years. I still use my credit card to buy things online although pay it off in full each month. Next challenge is to try and see some savings built. It seems to have been the year of big expenses, just tell misled at least I’m lucky enough to be able to pay for them at the time.
Well done on clearing the cc debt. Although I have a way to go I am prioritising savings and it's making a huge difference to our overall finances. Being able to pull money from my savings account to pay for things that need replacing means I am not being thrown on my budget. I also worked out that we pay silly money on overdraft charges so this year I have stubbornly refused to go even a penny overdrawn. Spread sheets have been really useful as I am poor at maths and working out what comes out when.

Hope 2023 is a good one for everyone x

Reactions: 5
About £22k from credit cards from trying to buy happiness after coming out of an emotionally abusive relationship
Got 3.5 years left on my debt consolidation loan to clear then it's goneeee

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
£1500 which is my credit card and paypal credit, last year i got rid of my overdraft which i had for 6 long years and bank loan i had for 4 years so £1500 really doesn't bother me at all

Reactions: 3
Mortgage is in my partners name
Both our debts come to about 3k, wish we could pay extra each month but with the cost of living right now it's impossible. My mother in law is waiting for a pay out from asda equal pay so she said she will pay our debts off so hopefully be debt free some point in the new year x

Mortgage £200,000 maybe a bit less, houses selling for around £460,000 at the moment, no other debt

150k mortgage
5k credit card 0% interest
400 Argos card
600 furniture payment plan
350 Klarna

I could pay the non-mortgage debt off in 6 months from my earnings or by selling my handbag collection so it doesn't keep me up at night.

My partner and I have about £160k left on our mortgage but I don't really count this when I consider my debts because to me it's like a utility bill - we'll be paying this every month for the foreseeable so I dont even think about it! We also have quite a bit of equity in our property (house is worth around £500k) so we're in a fairly stable position with it.

I only have 2 debts with 1 personal bank loan and 1 0% interest credit card but combined they are quite high and although we have sinking funds accounts to save for particular things (Christmas, holidays, birthdays etc), we don't have any substantial emergency savings. I don't do store cards etc and I do have a couple of other credit cards but they have no balance on them and I haven't used them for years.

I've got £16k left on a personal loan which was taken out about 2 years ago to buy a bigger and more reliable family car and to do some home improvements, this loan is in my name but my partner contributes half to the monthly repayments. I also have £3k on a credit card and this is what bothers me the most - around a year or so ago I think the total balance on it was about £500, which I was very comfortable with, but it's gone up loads because of various emergencies which we didn't have enough in savings to cover. It seemed like the most sensible option at the time as we're not currently paying interest on it, but it does depress me every time I look at it! Now we just have to keep chipping away at it every month. Once we've cleared these 2 debts, we'll have a decent amount of extra disposable income, not that it'll get us much with the way things currently are.

Does anyone else feel like their debt has increased since the start of the cost of living crisis? Because I certainly feel like mine has 😔

My partner and I have about £160k left on our mortgage but I don't really count this when I consider my debts because to me it's like a utility bill - we'll be paying this every month for the foreseeable so I dont even think about it! We also have quite a bit of equity in our property (house is worth around £500k) so we're in a fairly stable position with it.

I only have 2 debts with 1 personal bank loan and 1 0% interest credit card but combined they are quite high and although we have sinking funds accounts to save for particular things (Christmas, holidays, birthdays etc), we don't have any substantial emergency savings. I don't do store cards etc and I do have a couple of other credit cards but they have no balance on them and I haven't used them for years.

I've got £16k left on a personal loan which was taken out about 2 years ago to buy a bigger and more reliable family car and to do some home improvements, this loan is in my name but my partner contributes half to the monthly repayments. I also have £3k on a credit card and this is what bothers me the most - around a year or so ago I think the total balance on it was about £500, which I was very comfortable with, but it's gone up loads because of various emergencies which we didn't have enough in savings to cover. It seemed like the most sensible option at the time as we're not currently paying interest on it, but it does depress me every time I look at it! Now we just have to keep chipping away at it every month. Once we've cleared these 2 debts, we'll have a decent amount of extra disposable income, not that it'll get us much with the way things currently are.

Does anyone else feel like their debt has increased since the start of the cost of living crisis? Because I certainly feel like mine has 😔
Absolutely! My electric bill has gone from
£180 ish to £350 for a 1 bedroom
Bungalow! So that extra money has to come from
Somewhere. I’m so careful only do washing at night, heating on as little as possible and I wash st the sink in cold water so the 1 hour at night I have hot water on is ready for my toddler. Honestly panicking at this point. Good luck with clearing your debts you can do this xx

• Heart