How much debt are you actually in?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Age 26:
£58,000 in student debt, as the year I started my degree the government increased tuition fees from £3K a year to £9K. I did 4 years of BA degree a placement year then on top of that applied for maintenance loans each year to pay my rent.
I very much doubt I’ll pay the whole thing back.

Reactions: 1
37, single parent.
No credit card debt - pay in full every month
3k personal loan, will be paid off in 11 months
108k mortgage

Such an interesting thread to read through.

I’m 30, not in what I consider any ‘real’ debt. I’ve never had a store card, I got out of my overdraft as soon as I was earning a salary post-uni and I only use my credit card for big purchases but pay it off in full every month. I live really frugally day-to-day.

Only debt is student loan (I was the last year before the big hike to 9K, actually no idea how much I still owe nearly 10 years later and really just see it as an extra line of tax on my payslip!) and £110k mortgage on a shared ownership property.

Full disclosure... I’m in the same situation of privilege that a lot of influencers get criticised for... v lucky that my parents who live in Greater London allowed me to live with them rent-free after I graduated to enable me to save, and once I’d got enough together for a deposit on a flat they were able to and wanted to contribute to that to bring my mortgage repayments down and make sure I didn’t have to worry about my outgoings every month. I don’t underestimate how fortunate that makes me.

Reactions: 3
Mortgage of £50k
Next directory £750 (cries a bit at this 😂)
Credit card £1800
Below story of furlough mistake:

And now I owe my employer £200 as they overpaid me in furlough - despite me telling them I thought they were overpaying me and them insisting (!) I should have the payment - I start a proper, salaries job in September with them and I can pay them back every month - bleeping fab 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ll just pay it off in the first month and get it over with 😡

Looking forward to paying back some of the debt when I start my new job 😅

I think all I have is student debt now - no idea how much tbh. Pay about £80 a month off.

No mortgage
Small amount of credit card debt maybe £200 that I will pay off next month
Car is paid off
Oh my phone contract I suppose if that counts as debt.

Aged 36, married with one child. We both work full time, And are on good salaries but the work is demanding and stressful. We spent the last 8 years saving every penny we could to reduce our debts down. We will both be working from home on a near permanent basis now so hopefully will make things a lot more bearable in terms of hours working and commuting.

Mortgage of €280k but house is worth just over €1m.
Credit Card €1.5K
Savings €12k

I’m 29, married with 2 children (aged almost 3 and almost 1) and another on the way.

I have £10,000 left on a personal loan (from our wedding and moving house), £4,000 across 2 credit cards and a £2,000 overdraft. We also owe a couple of people about £6,500 in total. I have a car on finance too.

Our situation has got as bad as it has due to spending all of our savings on rent when I was on maternity leave the first time around and then I got pregnant unexpectedly with our second quite quickly before we could save more (I only went back part time after 5 months off). This third pregnancy has been an even bigger surprise so we are basically screwed!!!

Reactions: 2
We are 28 and 29. No debt apart from the mortgage, which has £68000 left (started at £150k 5 years ago). I've never liked the idea of spending money I don't have (other than for buying our home obviously).

Reactions: 4
We are 28 and 29. No debt apart from the mortgage, which has £68000 left (started at £150k 5 years ago). I've never liked the idea of spending money I don't have (other than for buying our home obviously).
That’s a lot to pay off in 5 years did you up the mortgage payments with the aim of this?

That’s a lot to pay off in 5 years did you up the mortgage payments with the aim of this?
We have overpaid it as much as we could in the 5 years we've been here. Our hope is to be mortgage free within the next 3 years🤞

• Wow
Reactions: 5
That’s amazing! We have 26 years left! I’m 43 😂🤣😭😂
It might not be forever with us though. We may outgrow this home and get a mortgage on a new property later down the line. We have been thinking of starting a family so I wanted us to be paying less out every month, as I would probably stop working, for a while, once we have a child. Also, the amount you save on interest by overpaying is motivating!

No debt except mortgage which we are overpaying.
I've never had a credit card etc.
Although we are comfortable financially I wasn't brought up with that & I think that never leaves you. I save as much as possible & don't need much.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh dear I must have more debts than most here - mortgage just over one million left to pay. No other debt..

• Wow
No credit cards, loans or finance
Just a mortgage which has around £40k left, should be paid off in 2-3 years 🤞
We’re 42 and 35 and have one child. Bought our first home in 2006, mortgage was paid off in 2015 but then we moved 6 months later and took out a small mortgage for a bigger place.

I'm 43. Interest free credit card debt of £1,700, which should be paid off before Christmas.
I have £60,000 mortgage on £500,000 house, but have started off with £90,000 when I moved in 2013, so not doing too badly. I am trying to boost savings up to @£20,000 then I will start paying off mortgage again.

I have to travel to London so I do have a season ticket of £3,200 a year (which I have to save up for) , so I have been able to save a bit recently as I'm working from home.

I feel like every mortgage free 30 year old in the country is on this thread 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20