How do people switch off from work?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m just looking for some advice on how people manage to switch off once they’ve left work. I’ve recently been promoted and I just can’t seem to switch off. Even now I’m sat here mentally going through all the work/jobs I’ve got to do tomorrow, who I’ve got to email etc. I’m finding it really difficult to separate work from home at the moment and don’t want to burn myself out. I’ve got a lot to learn with my new role and don’t feel rested or like I have a break at all with my mind constantly racing about all things work. So I’m just curious as to how people manage this and what coping mechanisms people have? Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 2
My partner and I have a dedicated short conversation about our day post-work and we express any moans or issues, then we aim not to talk work any further and enjoy our evening together.

To switch off I really enjoy playing on my Nintendo Switch (usually Animal Crossing). It's such a lovely, relaxing game and it helps me to have something to focus on. I also dip in and out of crocheting which is enjoyable and helps with stress.

When I'm mentally getting bogged down in work stuff outside of working hours, I try to tell myself that my employer gets me for 35+ hours per week and my personal time is my own.
I try to visualise myself boxing up and shelving the work thought for another time, or I send an email to my work account if I need a reminder of something when I log on the next morning that I need to get out of my head!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My partner and I have a dedicated short conversation about our day post-work and we express any moans or issues, then we aim not to talk work any further and enjoy our evening together.

To switch off I really enjoy playing on my Nintendo Switch (usually Animal Crossing). It's such a lovely, relaxing game and it helps me to have something to focus on. I also dip in and out of crocheting which is enjoyable and helps with stress.

When I'm mentally getting bogged down in work stuff outside of working hours, I try to tell myself that my employer gets me for 35+ hours per week and my personal time is my own.
I try to visualise myself boxing up and shelving the work thought for another time, or I send an email to my work account if I need a reminder of something when I log on the next morning that I need to get out of my head!
thank you. Some good ideas there for me to try out. I try to think along the same lines that they only pay me for x amount of hours so I’m wasting my time outside of that. I like the email suggestion too. Almost like sending work back to work to be dealt with in that time. Than you again.

Reactions: 1
I have very specific steps:

1. I take a shower with lavender Epsom salts with right after logging off / getting home from the office. It really helps with detoxing from the day and really marking an end to the work day. Once I’ve showered, there’s no logging back in.

2. I don’t have a partner, so I enjoy sitting in silence for an 1h with soft music on and a tea/snack. It allows me to gather myself mentally, unpack and recentrer.

3. After these two steps, I usually turn on a TV show while making dinner and make sure I treat myself to something special for dessert (even something small).

4. I then spend the rest of the evening planning my weekend, vacations, online shopping or simply watching a nice movie/TV show.

In the summer, I also enjoy squeezing a walk in and/or grabbing a coffee/tea at a coffee shop after work.

You need to find something that marks the end of your work day and establish it as a routine cut-off point. It really helps. For me, it’s the shower, for you it might be something else.

I quickly stopped obsessing over work the day I realized that unless you have your own company, any overtime spent is spent working towards someone else’s dream (if work a corporate job). Not worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@TheGlossy I like the idea of having something that you associate with the end of the working day. All of this is really good advice. Sounds like you have a pretty good routine set up and know what works.

I think it's also something you need to try and do consciously at first, @Sloppys until your brain switches out of it... consciously trying not to think about it, and using the above methods to distract yourself or write down what you're thinking about. Otherwise you'll be in your nice calming shower and all of a sudden think 'ugh, why didn't Sharon get back to me today about the purchase order, now tomorrow is going to be really stressful'... as soon as Sharon enters your mind you need to tell it no!

.... if that makes sense. It's hard to get out of that thought pattern, but once you do it'll be great.

• Heart
I tend to get the racing mind if there's several tasks I know I need to remember or follow-up on. It really helps me to make a list or reminder about those things for me for the next day. It's nothing fancy, I just jot down a few notes and set reminders and notifications on Slack for conversations I need to follow up on, but I find if I do that, my brain doesn't seem to feel the need to be constantly trying to remind itself about them.

Depending on your work mode, you maybe also need a more physical distinction. I fully work from home, so there's no commute that could serve as break. I really like to take a walk, often together with my partner (also full wfh) where we chat about our workday, it's a good way to get out of work mode but have a feeling of wrapping it all up.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m just looking for some advice on how people manage to switch off once they’ve left work. I’ve recently been promoted and I just can’t seem to switch off. Even now I’m sat here mentally going through all the work/jobs I’ve got to do tomorrow, who I’ve got to email etc. I’m finding it really difficult to separate work from home at the moment and don’t want to burn myself out. I’ve got a lot to learn with my new role and don’t feel rested or like I have a break at all with my mind constantly racing about all things work. So I’m just curious as to how people manage this and what coping mechanisms people have? Thank you in advance.
I literally could have written this myself.
I find it impossible not to be in work mode all the time.
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

• Heart